Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 PM

38 posts, read 128,701 times

Advertisements

Hi. Our family of four is moving from SoCal to Silicon Valley. We have elementary aged kids, and our income will be around 120k. We are trying to figure out a few things and hope the forum can help.

On one hand, we have been living in suburbia down here - spent years living in SF, so we miss urbanity - and we are, shall we say, less than enthused about suburbia. But of course, there are schools to consider with the kids, and safety. But I so miss walkability, funky shops, any whiff of uniqueness that I'm even considering going more rural with my kids. So:

1. Is East Palo Alto changing for the better? Is it possible that there is a real revitalization happening, or are the crime stats about the same as years past? (Please keep negativity about EPA at a minimum. I'm interested in hearing from people who might value EPA right now. )

2. Are there any "rural-feeling" areas around SV, to counter-act tract home land?

3. Which communities have good walkable downtowns?

4. Is Palo Alto itself to even be considered with above income?

Any comments appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,143,314 times
There is a San Jose board, you should ask there.

East PA's reputation is still of a crime-ridden ghetto tucked into the middle of Silicon Valley. I've never been there and I probably never will, so I wouldn't know for certain, but I don't think you'd like living there with kids especially if they go to public school.

If you want urbanity, I think Willow Glen and a couple other areas around Silicon Valley are pretty walkable. But overall Silicon Valley and San Jose is nothing but blah, beigh, boring suburban sprawl. Mountain View has a neat little downtown and so do a lot of other suburbs along the Peninsula. But you say you want rural now? Maybe make up your mind if you want urbane and walkable or rural. I guess the further out you get into the hinterland it gets more rural...Saratoga and Los Gatos are up in the hills and are really ritzy areas but I imagine there must be some funky old rural areas up there too. In Santa Cruz County there are a LOT of funky old towns up in the woods in the hills, but getting from there to Silicon Valley would be a pain in the ass. Overall I think if you want rural, it will depend on where you work and how long you want to commute. And rural in the Silicon Valley area is still very expensive.

And Palo Alto is very walkable and so on but very expensive.

In any case ask on the San Jose board and you'll get responses from people who live there.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,183,403 times
San Jose has an awsom downtown with tons of funky things to do like the Psycho donut in an entertainment and movie center and Loves Cupcake with great orange cream cupcakes. I like the Satori Tea shop with nice outdoor patio seatings.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,272,629 times
I would write off EPA, it is not an up and coming area. They've got IKEA but that's about the extent of the charm. Also, the schools are awful.

If you like a little funkiness, check out the Burbank area around Bascom/Southwest Expwy in San Jose. You've got the Pruneyard nearby, then a series of cool little shops like Space Cat Comics, Streetlight Records, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM

3,255 posts, read 6,371,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecitizen View Post
But of course, there are schools to consider with the kids, and safety. But I so miss walkability, funky shops, any whiff of uniqueness that I'm even considering going more rural with my kids.
For uniqueness check out Pacifica,especially if you like cool weather.

Cabrillo Elementary is an interesting alternative to the high pressure "10" rated schools in the good areas of Silicon Valley.

Cabrillo School (http://www.pacificasd.org/Schools/cabrillo/about.html - broken link)

Pacifica is just over a 20 minute drive to Noe Valley and the Mission District on the 280 so it is easy to access SF

Driving Directions from Linda Mar to 24th St & Mission St

Go out to San Pedro Valley Park and walk the trails and it will feel rural even though you are close to the city. Also check out the Wed. afternoon farmers market that begins in May.

http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/Attachm...ochure.web.pdf

Pacifica does not have a walkable downtown but it is great to walk the trails along the coast.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,143,314 times
Pacifica is foggy and chilly most of the time and would be a heavy commute to a lot of parts of Silicon Valley, I don't think that's what he/she is looking for. Unless they need to commute to somewhere like Redwood City and like chilly weather.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 PM

These are all great suggestions. I know I am somewhat wishy washy about urban/rural, etc. Pacifica sounds great, but we lived in the Inner Sunset and the fog killed our spirits. So sunny is key. But I am curious about how Cabrillo is interesting alternative? If a great school can lure us... In general schools are very important. I am hoping that the public school in SV are superior to here in LA, specifically the integration of Technology. Here there is nothing.

Also, on Palo Alto - any comments on the schools there? How about Sunnyvale? It seems suburban, but also more affordable...

Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 PM

3,255 posts, read 6,371,754 times
Quote:
But I am curious about how Cabrillo is interesting alternative?
First check out the previous link with info on the school.

"The Cabrillo School program was restructured in 1992 to include an enriched art program and project-based lessons that embrace the concepts developed by Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences approach to learning. Parent partnerships support the program and the classroom teachers in providing enriched opportunities for all the students."

Next check out the reviews:

Parent Reviews of Cabrillo Elementary School

And if you are still interested the best way to really find out about a school is to schedule a visit. However it is true that Pacifica is too far a commute. It is still a better alternative than East PA or some rural location with bad roads in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Quote:
I am hoping that the public school in SV are superior to here in LA, specifically the integration of Technology.
Budget cuts are devastating California schools,even the fabulous "10" rated Cupertino schools. Don't expect a lot of new technology investments.

Big cuts, high anxiety in Cupertino | Thoughts on Public Education

http://cupertino.ca.campusgrid.net/home/budgetletter3.11.11.pdf (broken link)

Quote:

Also, on Palo Alto - any comments on the schools there? How about Sunnyvale?
Palo Alto has the reputation as being the best of the best. An elite choice for a high acheiving student. Sunnyvale schools are confusing. A small part is in the Santa Clara district. Then there is the Fremont Union district. It's not in Fremont. This covers Cupertino,parts of Sunnyvale and a very small part of San Jose.

This site may be helpful:

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - Santa Clara County

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - San Mateo County

Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,038,880 times
I would definitely look into Mountain View, and Burlingame.. perhaps even Menlo Park. Honestly, Palo Alto is great, but cost prohibitive unless you're making twice or even triple that income (believe me, my family investigated at one time).

It's going to be all "suburbia" anywhere outside of San Francisco or Oakland/Berkeley---but some towns are actually quite nice and have a little more going on and pretty cool, walkable downtowns. Pacifica is honestly the worse area in terms of cold, damp fog most of the year. If you didn't like the fog in the Sunset (I know it well) then Pacifica is even worse, imo. Half Moon Bay, Montara/El Granada are also neat rural places to investigate, a little sunnier, but not really any "walkability" as far as I know. But might be your "thing" also. I know quite a few people living out there that absolutely love it and it's somewhat easily accessible to SV.

I'm not familiar with Sunnyvale so unfortunately I have no advice on that town, but if I had to live down on the Peninsula on a certain income level, then the towns I mentioned would be the best choices, imo.

As for schools...well GENERALLY the more community support (financially and volunteerism, etc), the better the school. From my experiences, safety and a well respected Principal makes the school top notch. The greatschools.net will help, but overall...even despite all the cra* you hear about California public schools, they do a pretty good job (students and parents have everything to do with success). From my experiences, asking about art/music/and science seem to make a big difference in differentiating between schools.

You didn't mention which town your husband will be working, but there might be a possibility that even the East Bay might suit you. This of course depends on a few factors--how much he is willing to drive (my husband drives an hour) Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:28 AM

This is all such valuable feedback, thank you! I was digging more into Mountain View - anyone know anything about "The Crossings"? Sounds like a Steven King novel. But more reasonable than other areas. And good schools, it seems, in that area.

And as for tech in schools - I'm not looking so much for investments, but a little education! Our kids down here literally go to computer lab 1 x per week, and they draw on a program called KidPix. That is all any of the teachers do. Sheesh, I went to school in Iowa and I remember when Apple's first came out they taught us basic programming. I would hope that up in SV, there would be some curriculum for the kids...

And actually it's me who is working - telecommuting now, but would likely be in office in Mountain View (though the co. might move to Palo Alto.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland