Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,804 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed they are getting rid of the toll booths! I can't believe what this guy at the Examiner said.

Check out his article at:
[url=http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-san-francisco/crisis-at-the-golden-gate]Crisis at the golden gate - San Francisco Conservative | Examiner.com[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,204,116 times
It's ridiculous. One of the most famous bridges in the world and one of the area's biggest tourist attractions, and they decide to put this boondoggle in it which will help a handful of Marin County commuters get to work faster while perplexing and infuriating millions of tourists and visitors. Unforgivable.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,705,713 times
How is having automated tolls going to perplex and infuriate anyone?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,204,116 times
Because if you don't have the equipment to pay, you get a ticket in the mail and have to pay it. Or in a tourist's case, the rental agency does and passes it on to you plus a handling fee.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM

527 posts, read 1,579,438 times
Fastrak always dismisses the first violation with an admonition to get the proper equipment.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,765,893 times
Won't they have license plate readers that can send you a bill? I read the article on sfgate.com the other week and that is my impression. Not everyone has credit cards and there has to be a way for them to pay. If there aren't license plate readers that will send you bill then I'd imagine they would have to put up machines that take cash, which will take longer than a toll booth operator.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM

527 posts, read 1,579,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Won't they have license plate readers that can send you a bill? I read the article on sfgate.com the other week and that is my impression. Not everyone has credit cards and there has to be a way for them to pay. If there aren't license plate readers that will send you bill then I'd imagine they would have to put up machines that take cash, which will take longer than a toll booth operator.
They do take a picture of your license plate if you offend & send you a $35 ticket (not a ticket for the $5 toll) that you can get dismissed the first time it happens. You can also pre-pay your FasTrak at Safeway or similar so that it deducts from the balance, no credit card needed.

Also regarding car rentals, some rental companies already have FasTrak if you call ahead. See Avis Rent A Car: eToll Service for example.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,076,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Fastrak always dismisses the first violation with an admonition to get the proper equipment.
And what of tourists? They might as well pay the fine as buy a FasTrak since they may never be going that way again.
Freaking expensive drive across the bridge in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 PM

943 posts, read 1,324,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It's ridiculous. One of the most famous bridges in the world and one of the area's biggest tourist attractions, and they decide to put this boondoggle in it which will help a handful of Marin County commuters get to work faster while perplexing and infuriating millions of tourists and visitors. Unforgivable.
This is the way toll payment is going all over the world. Tourists and visitors are, or will soon be, aware of this method of toll payment, if they have tolls where they live.

Believe me, California is not leading the way here.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,101,717 times
It certainly is unbelievable that the people who own the Examiner think that people in San Francisco actually want to read the annoying right-winger editorials they pack it with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland