Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:20 PM

493 posts, read 514,639 times

Advertisements

Hi...I got in to SDSU and I am seriously considering going. I will major in urban studies/geography. I only have one more week until I have to commit and I was wondering if anyone can help answer my questions. I am from the Los Angeles area. I am a Hispanic male.

First of all, I was wondering how big of a party school SDSU is. Is it as big as I've been told?

Is San Diego traversable without a car? I know there is a trolley station on campus. How much of the city is accessible by trolley? Is the system safe? What about transit access to Sea World and Balboa Park?

I hear SDSU is in the ghetto area. When I went in July I felt safe. Are there crime problems in the College Area?

On-campus housing is not guranteed for anyone. How is off-campus housing and what is rent like, just in case? I'm declining Cal Poly SLO because there is no more on-campus housing left.

I am gay (not out to anyone else). Is the campus population very tolerant of LGBT students? SD is not as liberal as LA or the Bay Area. I know the SD scene is centered around Hillcrest. How big is the scene, if anyone knows, and are there any other gay-friendly areas?

Please reply ASAP!!!! I only have a week!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
First of all, I was wondering how big of a party school SDSU is. Is it as big as I've been told?
Pretty big party school, not that you have to be a part of any of that

Quote:
Is San Diego traversable without a car? I know there is a trolley station on campus. How much of the city is accessible by trolley? Is the system safe? What about transit access to Sea World and Balboa Park?
Only a fraction of the city is accessible by trolley. Most people drive here.

Quote:
I hear SDSU is in the ghetto area. When I went in July I felt safe. Are there crime problems in the College Area?
Compared to other similar areas in the City, College Area actually has less crime. It's a little run-down looking but not unsafe. And certainly not the ghetto. The neighborhood just to the west and south - City Heights - is tough.

Quote:
On-campus housing is not guranteed for anyone. How is off-campus housing and what is rent like, just in case? I'm declining Cal Poly SLO because there is no more on-campus housing left.
Rents for a studio are in the 800-900 range, 1BR are in the 900-1200 range, 2BR's in the 1200-1750 range. A house is 1750-2000 ore more.

Quote:
I am gay (not out to anyone else). Is the campus population very tolerant of LGBT students? SD is not as liberal as LA or the Bay Area. I know the SD scene is centered around Hillcrest. How big is the scene, if anyone knows, and are there any other gay-friendly areas?
Pretty big gay population in Hillcrest, but there is a gay population in all the neighborhoods on the mesa - North Park, Normal Heights, City Heights, College Area.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:00 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,057 times
I think Sassberto pretty much answered all your questions.

I've never thought of the College area as "ghetto". We moved to this area from City Heights & it's a lot rougher there by far.

We live about a mile from SDSU. As far as I know, we have at least 5 gay/lesbian households in the 3 blks that make up our little corner of El Cerrito. I know there are several more gay/lesbian couples in the rest of our 'hood as well. We're all friendly around here.

Good luck with your decision...what an exciting time for you!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 AM

739 posts, read 3,056,771 times
Quote:
Really big. Partying starts on Thursday. I was part of a fraternity- a Christian fraternity. So, I didn't party like that. But, our house is on Lindo Paseo (Or as we call it, The LP). There were always crazy parties next store. Again, you can choose to participate or find other constructive ways to have fun - like learning how to scuba dive!

Quote:
Um, I would prefer to have a car. But, with that being said, you can hit everything you need on the Trolly. You can go to fashion or mission valley malls easily or head down town. You could go east, but not much out there. The trolly downtown should get you close to Balboa Park. As for Sea World, no go on a trolly.

Quote:
San Diego State area is not bad at all. Your going to have your drunk idiots everywhere, but mostly harmless. I have lived in many places around State. From a studio off University over in La Mesa (I dont recommend it), to Lake Murray in La Mesa (totally recommend that area) to the friggen City Heights ghetto (where I live now with tow college buddies in a 4 bedroom house. One of them just became a Sheriff deputy and he wants the heck out).

Quote:
On-campus housing is not guaranteed for anyone. How is off-campus housing and what is rent like, just in case? I'm declining Cal Poly SLO because there is no more on-campus housing left.
I rented a nicer, larger, older, 2 bedroom apartment on Lake Murray (one exit from SDSU off the highway) for 1250. I rented a studio in the somewhat gehtto of La Mesa for $600. I am not renting a 4 bedroom house in City Heights for 1800. Finding a place to stay shouldn't be a huge problem.

Quote:
I would say the campus is pretty tolerant. To my knowledge, I have never heard of a hate crime based of sexuality here at school. There are some groups at school for LGBT. I would like to think San Diego is a fairly progressive city.

I would say come. I moved from the Central Valley CA where it was 49% white and 49% Hispanic. I moved with a good friend, who is Hispanic (I am white) and I think we both found the diversity very refreshing. Honestly, this really is a great city. I always feel safe, it is beautiful, and the weather is great. Too bad is too dang expensive to own a house here, otherwise I prolbably would not be moving to Dallas.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
I just wanted to re-iterate that SDSU is NOT in the ghetto. There's a neighborhood of multi-million dollar estates just to the west of the campus. The area directly south of the campus, College Area, and El Cerrito are not ghetto either. You have to get further south and west into City Heights before the area gets kind of iffy. City Heights isn't a Ranch House style Middle Class Dystopia, but it isn't Compton either.

For a link to neighborhood maps...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...hood-maps.html

Regarding rents, I think Sassberto was quoting the rents for newerish construction (1970's - present). About six months ago, I saw a 2 bedroom 1 bath California cottage for rent in Talmdage (a good neighborhood) for $950. However, that means it would have been built in the 1940's. So if you want to save money, go for an older apartment.

Hillcrest is the gay entertainment area, but there's a significantly above average percentage of gay residents in all of the neighborhoods north of Balboa Park along the canyon rim - University Heights, North Park, Normal Heights, Kensington, Talmadge, and now as Sampa seems to indicate El Cerrito. Now, above average probably means 10%-20% of the population.

Transportation - You'll also have access to the bus too. The 15 bus starts at SDSU and travels along El Cajon Boulevard through all of those neighborhoods, if you need to get somewhere there. The trolley goes through Mission Valley, so it won't be the way to reach Hillcrest. I think the biggest problem you might have transportation wise, is getting to a grocery store, and getting to the beaches. But, you'd want to go to the beach with friends anyway, so maybe your friends will have a car. As for grocery shopping the nearest store is the Vons at El Cajon Boulevard and College Avenue. There's also a Smart and Final one block further east if you want to stock up on bulk purchases.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM

493 posts, read 514,639 times
what about bus access to Balboa Park/Sea World/Hillcrest?

And what is the best way to get back to LA? Would the trolley to the Coaster to the Metrolink be good enough?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Im pretty sure for all of these, Balboa Park/Sea World/Hillcrest, you need to take the bus.

As far as getting back to LA, I have no clue. A ride from a friend would be best

Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
For Balboa Park and Hillcrest you could take the Rte 15 bus, or the 115. One of these buses gets onto the freeway right before you get to Hillcrest, so check beforehand. Though if you do get on the wrong bus, you can get off close enough to be within a few blocks of Hillcrest.

Seaworld like the beaches is somewhere you'll have to get to strictly by car. But Seaworld is outrageously expensive, like $50 to $60 or $70. You'll probably only do that once. I've lived here for decades and have NEVER been.

For trips back to LA, yes, just take the Trolley to downtown and you'll be one block away from the Amtrak station. FYI, there is also a city bus that goes to the airport, but you'd have to transfer buses which is always a pain.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Regarding rents, I think Sassberto was quoting the rents for newerish construction (1970's - present). About six months ago, I saw a 2 bedroom 1 bath California cottage for rent in Talmdage (a good neighborhood) for $950. However, that means it would have been built in the 1940's. So if you want to save money, go for an older apartment.
950 for a 2BR anywhere in SD is a great deal - esp for a spanish cottage.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
950 for a 2BR anywhere in SD is a great deal - esp for a spanish cottage.
Seriously... sing me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego