Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 05:46 PM

204 posts, read 641,734 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband is stationed at Camp Pendleton and we are thinking of a house purchase up North from Pacific Beach. I just don't know how to rate the areas. Is Bonsall nicer than San Marcos or is San Marcos nicer than Vista? How would you rate them and why?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've done a search on here and gathered some info but am just trying to decide between the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,265 times
San Marcos is definitely nicer than Vista. One of the nicest places in North County that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Avoid gang areas and you'll be fine.

Bonsall is very different from those two, it's a rural agricultural/estate type community, lots of nice but also very expensive houses. Unless you got a million dollar inheritance , you won't have much to choose from.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,295 times
Between the three, I'll agree that San Marcos is your best bet. Bonsall is a little secluded and getting in and out of there is a pain! I used to live in Fallbrook and it takes forever to get anywhere. Vista has a lot of...and please, no one freak out!..."sketchy"....areas. Not that there aren't great people and all, but if you're choosing without living here for a while, San Marcos is the way to go. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 AM

204 posts, read 641,734 times
Well, I've found a house I like in Bonsall, but wasn't sure if I should go for San Marcos instead. If Bonsall is a better area, then shouldn't I go for that one? I just don't know if it is considered a nicer area than San Marcos or Vista. The house is nice but it is located across from an agricultural zoned area than may be developed into houses/condos or even apartments. I'm just not sure if this is a case of the "ugliest house in the nicest neighborhood" kind of thing. After all, Bonsall is out of the way. Any thoughts?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htnspz View Post
Well, I've found a house I like in Bonsall, but wasn't sure if I should go for San Marcos instead. If Bonsall is a better area, then shouldn't I go for that one? I just don't know if it is considered a nicer area than San Marcos or Vista. The house is nice but it is located across from an agricultural zoned area than may be developed into houses/condos or even apartments. I'm just not sure if this is a case of the "ugliest house in the nicest neighborhood" kind of thing. After all, Bonsall is out of the way. Any thoughts?
Hmmmm, I know it's tempting, when you think you've found the 'perfect' place, but honestly, if you don't need land for your riding stable or your avocado grove, you will be so much happier in San Marcos. It's easier to get the beach, to get to S.D., to get to Escondido (hello!!! Nordstroms!!! Not that I can afford it, but I love it just the same... ). Bonsall very nice for visiting, but it is a little boring to live there. Plus, not a lot of choices/variety for employment and schooling. If you're thinking about that for resale, you'd better go with San Marcos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego