Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 PM

26 posts, read 206,919 times

Advertisements

A friend is looking to move to San Diego. She is an oracle certified associate PL/SQL programmer and DBA. She has also done some entry level Linux certification.

Are there any jobs available in this field? Where should she look for them?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfan View Post
A friend is looking to move to San Diego. She is an oracle certified associate PL/SQL programmer and DBA. She has also done some entry level Linux certification.

Are there any jobs available in this field? Where should she look for them?

Thanks
There are jobs, but most people are looking for senior-level talent. For example I am trying to hire a DB Developer right now (SQL Server 05 / SSIS / TSQL) and I get either hardcore DBA guys (who are not devs) or total greenhorns. I can't settle for entry-level because there is too much work and I need someone who can hit the ground running.

It has been very tough to find truly good people who have both the experience and the interpersonal skills to succeed. The solid, senior level guys have the SD market in the palm of their hands right now, they all have jobs and if they are looking, it isn't for long.

The best advice I would give your friend is to start with the biggest companies. Mitchell, Intuit and First American are Oracle shops if I remember correctly. The bigger companies are more apt to take an entry-level hire and give them the mentoring and attention they need. However they are tough to get into as a starter unless you have great degree or something else to make you stand out.

The small shops have no support structure for new hires and no training programs for junior people. Only go to the small shops if you are very confident and are willing to take the 'sink or swim' approach.

DBA is the type of job where experience really matters, no one is going to let a junior staffer touch the million-dollar box with all the company's financials on it. You have to start small and get in where you can.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 PM

102 posts, read 325,726 times
Sassberto is very right.

Fedfan: tell ur friend when applying DBA position, don't say "I'm certified associate PL/SQL programmer and DBA", unless position specifying programming experience.
say "I'm an certified DBA and linux SA" is better.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM

64 posts, read 193,364 times
Default join a consulting firm

the quickest way to gain experience these days is as a consultant. its pretty hard to get an entry level job as an FTE. I can say that all our junior positions are occupied by consultants. One more note, anytime someone sends me a resume with the word 'certified' at the very top 'lack of experience' comes to mind - - we all start somewhere. I started as a consultant several years ago, made next to nothing for a couple of years, developed some hard core experience and never looked back...

Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 AM

26 posts, read 91,184 times
Default considering becoming a DBA

hello,
i am a fairly technical person, although i am not terribly skilled with computers per se. i've always had an interest, and i am considering making the transition to a career in database management. but i am trying to learn more about what i am getting myself into exactly. considering how many more experienced people there are in the market than myself, what is the best approach for me to begin a career in IT? is it help desk? or desktop support? is there some way for me to become a database person WITHOUT taking a $1-2000 certification class? what sort of job can i expect to get starting in IT? is there a particular certification i should get to start? one that has the most entry-level jobs maybe? please write back. i'm trying to do this ASAP. thx.

loco

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoindio View Post
hello,
i am a fairly technical person, although i am not terribly skilled with computers per se. i've always had an interest, and i am considering making the transition to a career in database management. but i am trying to learn more about what i am getting myself into exactly. considering how many more experienced people there are in the market than myself, what is the best approach for me to begin a career in IT? is it help desk? or desktop support? is there some way for me to become a database person WITHOUT taking a $1-2000 certification class? what sort of job can i expect to get starting in IT? is there a particular certification i should get to start? one that has the most entry-level jobs maybe? please write back. i'm trying to do this ASAP. thx.

loco
Probably the easiest is a phone job/help desk with a MOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: