Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 AM

14 posts, read 53,373 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the job market is like in chula vista/surrounding areas? Are there any entry level jobs for a newcomer to San Diego? Overall, is the job market good for anyone or is it a place that requires you to have a degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchambers View Post
Does anyone know what the job market is like in chula vista/surrounding areas? Are there any entry level jobs for a newcomer to San Diego? Overall, is the job market good for anyone or is it a place that requires you to have a degree?
First, why would you want to live in Chula Vista. I heard it was kind of a violent and dangerous area of San Diego. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Second, if you don't have a degree I imagine it will be tougher to get a job that affords you to live out here, unless you have a few roommates. That is true for any area, really. Education=More Money and More Job Opportunities. San Diego=Really Expensive Place To Live

Finally....I predict the job market here will be in decline for the next year or so. Most non-degree jobs are in construction or retail/service/tourism, and I predict given the state of the local and national economy and the housing market, job growth in these areas is going to slow down some. Might pick up some by next Summer possibly.

Hope this helps. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
It's bad down in the South Bay.It took me a year and a half just to get a part time job.I graduated with an OK GPA,I'm in college and I have never got in major trouble.If you look around there's no "Now Hiring" signs in the S.Bay.Look anywhere else in the county and you can get hired quicker than you would down south.And for justsomeguy;how are you going to say "Chula Vista is dangerous"?There's just some parts like NW South Central,Otay,Westside that are rough.Anywhere else is safe.That's a typical "South Bay Sterotypical Remark."(SBSR)You must not live down here.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
It's bad down in the South Bay.It took me a year and a half just to get a part time job.I graduated with an OK GPA,I'm in college and I have never got in major trouble.If you look around there's no "Now Hiring" signs in the S.Bay.Look anywhere else in the county and you can get hired quicker than you would down south.And for justsomeguy;how are you going to say "Chula Vista is dangerous"?There's just some parts like NW South Central,Otay,Westside that are rough.Anywhere else is safe.That's a typical "South Bay Sterotypical Remark."(SBSR)You must not live down here.

I don't live down there, hence the statement "I heard....". I am just going by what I had heard, and clarified that in my post.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:57 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
justsomeguy:All right.You do have a point.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 AM

so basically...going there isn't a good idea? i'm going to be living with my g/f and her roommate. i don't plan on getting a job in chula, if i have to drive 15-30 minutes out of chula to get a job i will. i just didn't know what the job market was there for entry level.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 80,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchambers View Post
This instructional video will help you in your entry-level yob search in SoCal.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 AM

lol lol i love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego