Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,370 times

Advertisements

Check out Craigslist. It is amazing to me the things that people want to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,184,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisblind View Post
Wow. Thanks! This is very helpful info. My fiancee was also concerned about that and he is tall as well. I am a little confused about the couch test but I'll probably get the hang of it with practice. lol I think when we checked it out, we thought it looked much more my style. I was only in there for like 5 min. though. My fiancee dismissed the place as having uncomfortable sofas. He likes sofas with comfortable back cushions. Would you say that this store would fit that need as well?
They make a number of different couches, so I can't speak for all of them. However, I find ours to be very comfortable. When you go in, ask to see the section where you can design your own couch. They have a number of sizes, so maybe your fiancee will find one of the larger sizes more comfy. My folks have Bassett's largest couch. I find it way too deep (kinda a PITA to get out of), but I know some people like really that style.

As to my test, I didn't do a good job of explaining it. Let me take another crack at it. Stand at the front of the couch on one corner (let's say the RH corner for this example, but it doesn't really matter). Grab the couch down near the foot, then slowly lift straight up. Take note of how high you can lift the RH corner before the LH corner lifts off the ground as well. A flimsy couch will bow and flex a lot and you'll be able to lift the RH corner an alarming amount before the LH corner comes up. If the couch is solid and sturdy, the LH corner should come off the ground almost immediately when you lift the RH corner.

Again, this is just something I came up with on my own. Take it or leave it.

Mike

Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,450,724 times
There is a whole row of furniture stores all within 2 blocks in Escondido. LazyBoy Store, Bassett, Ethan Allen, just to name a few. Then there are a few cheapy places, but one could find some decent stuff if you search hard.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM

204 posts, read 642,523 times
If you like Boconcept style then definitely check out Crate and Barrel ( at the Westfield UTC Mall near LA Jolla). It's a little bit of a "soft contemporary" style meaning that it's contemporary but a little more warm (I'm an Interior Designer). They Have some good manufacturers like Lee Industries and Mitchell Gold.

Yes, some Macy's have furniture. There is furniture at Macy's in Mission Valley and Encinitas. It has more traditional offerings but there are some contemporary pieces.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 AM

14 posts, read 23,816 times
[quote=whiteboyslo;23605801My folks have Bassett's largest couch. I find it way too deep (kinda a PITA to get out of), but I know some people like really that style.

Mike[/QUOTE]
Thats for the explanation of the test. I get it now I'll try it next time I go. I went in Bassett's again but the sign but barely had time since it closed at 7.
I'll look at it more extensively this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Check out Craigslist. It is amazing to me the things that people want to get rid of.
I am looking at craigslist for side tables, etc. I think my fiancee just wanted a sofa that came with a warranty though

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
There is a whole row of furniture stores all within 2 blocks in Escondido. LazyBoy Store, Bassett, Ethan Allen, just to name a few.
I think you're talking about the one in San Marcos? I've been checking out those stores a lot lately. I liked the general look of Ethan Allen furniture and its more my style but my fiancee again thinks it may be bad construction. I don't know how many of you guys have experience with Ethan Allen furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htnspz View Post
If you like Boconcept style then definitely check out Crate and Barrel ( at the Westfield UTC Mall near LA Jolla).

Yes, some Macy's have furniture. There is furniture at Macy's in Mission Valley and Encinitas. It has more traditional offerings but there are some contemporary pieces.
Yes I usually love Crate and Barrel as a store so I'll probably call ahead see how many floor samples of sofas they have in the store. I guess I just assumed they didnt have a huge selection of sofas but I could be wrong. and I'll probably look into the Encinitas Macys this weekend. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM

14 posts, read 23,816 times
Actually I looked into Arizona leather today as well. Have you guys looked much at this place at all?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM

204 posts, read 642,523 times
Loveisblind, the whole top floor of the crate and barrel is filled with furniture so they have quite a number sofas. The building is a large stand alone building in the UTC mall.

Are you specifically looking for leather?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,439,430 times
Macy's Home in Mission Valley is my favorite as they seem to hit a sweet spot for quality and price.

If money was no object, I'd probably only shop at Ethan Allen (I think there are 3 stores in San Diego).

Ethan Allen is the furniture you buy and hand down to your kids when they move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego