Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 23,212 times

Advertisements

Where is a good place to find reasonably priced furniture in SD? I was looking online and found Jerome's Furniture to have good prices, but their online reviews seem to suggest terrible customer service. I know some cities have areas where there are rows and rows of furniture stores. Is there such an area in SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
There's a furniture row in Miramar, right down the street from the base. They have all kinds of furniture at reasonable prices. It's called the Miramar Furniture Mart. It's only furniture stores.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks moved. I'll check out that area. =)

Old 10-10-2009, 02:46 AM

48 posts, read 147,038 times
I brought a couple of pieces form Furniture update in Kearny Mesa always gave me good deals. Mor Furniture is ok on pricing as well. Totally differnet quality of furniture though.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADEKUN View Post
I brought a couple of pieces form Furniture update in Kearny Mesa always gave me good deals. Mor Furniture is ok on pricing as well. Totally differnet quality of furniture though.
What do you mean by different quality?

Where could I find reasonable quality furniture for a reasonable price? I can't afford the most expensive, but I don't want the cheapest stuff that'll fall apart in a few months either...

Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,215 times
After Christmas (and sometimes before Christmas), Costco usually puts some nice quality furniture in their warehouses. As with most items, Costco's selection is limited but their prices are excellent. There are several Costco stores in San Diego. Mission Valley is our favorite location. For the closest location to you just check their website: Costco.com: Offering thousands of items you won’t find in your local Costco.

As for Jeromes, we've purchased several furniture pieces from them. Their customer service was excellent and we still have all of Jerome's furniture.

We didn't like Ashley Furniture. Very old school sales techniques ie. their salespeople are a pain in the a$$.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:01 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoSD View Post
What do you mean by different quality?

Where could I find reasonable quality furniture for a reasonable price? I can't afford the most expensive, but I don't want the cheapest stuff that'll fall apart in a few months either...
People have lots of different opinions on furniture, so I would say you have to check it out for yourself. Between 805 and 15 on Miramar Rd (as mentioned) has about 20-30+ stores for different kinds of furniture. Personally I would look at used office furniture stores for office and study furniture (desks/chairs). Sometimes they even have good meeting/dining type tables and chairs from fancy meeting rooms.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:27 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
It really depends what you are looking for.

Miramar Road has the gamut of mass-produced furniture from asian imports to national US companies to local vendors. You will find Ashley, Ethan Allen, Jeromes, etc. There is also a strip of showrooms off the 78 in San Marcos that is essentially the same thing. In Mission Valley you have Crate and Barrel, Ikea, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware as well.

However if you are looking for anything unique, heirloom, modern, or for smaller spaces you will have to look around the county, Solana Beach design district has a small concentration of high-end home furnishings as well.

Personally I tend to avoid mass-produced furniture, especially from Jeromes or Mor, much of it is Chinese-made. Ashley, etc... is also hit and miss. I have a smaller home and much of these products are deliberately oversized. I also do not like the showroom / salespeople experience in these places. We have had the best luck with Craigslist, Antique malls (OB, Solana Beach) and the occasional wholesale import sales in the warehouses on Miramar Road.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 PM

31 posts, read 69,613 times
Ikea is where it's at for cheap stuff. Like others have suggested, hit up Miramar Road... tons of places that will negotiate.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36geoff View Post
Ikea is where it's at for cheap stuff. Like others have suggested, hit up Miramar Road... tons of places that will negotiate.
I really do like Ikea for many things (keeping in mind that you get what you pay for), but I have to say that the couch/sofa selection is crap. Awful fabrics, weird sizing, and not even that cheap (nothing much for <$400).

Our "den" area in front of the TV still doesn't have a couch. We just are using old office chairs at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego