Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,349,424 times

Advertisements

I know we have some travelers on here. Being in a new job, I do not have a lot of vacation time, so time is really important. Changing planes leaves so much room for problems I won't have time for-delays, missed connections,lost luggage, cancellations, you name it-they all seem to happen on a regular basis. Way to ruin a short vacation. So I am looking for cool places with direct flights from SD.

I have thought a little about the British Airways London flight....but I need a really relaxing trip, and London is awesome but hardly relaxing , and lets face it, its pretty pricey.

I am not aware of any other direct flights to Europe from SD....would have to go to LAX and then that starts getting to be a hassle. Since I only want to use 5 vacations days (sandwiched between 2 weekends).

So we are looking at Hawaii (Oahu, specifically, since there are direct flights (!) about 5 hours long from SD.

Any other cool places? Is there a good search engine that would show all direct flights out of SD? I know I could go to Kayak and do a trip finder but you have to enter every city you are considering (and check "non stop"). Obviously this is too cumbersome. Criteria would be either: S. Europe or some place with good snorkeling/diving. Are there any off brand airlines going anywhere decent in Central America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM

oh geez. I know I googled this, but I guess not well-
here is a list, in case anyone else is interested.
Nonstop flights offered at San Diego International Airport

Old 10-19-2011, 04:28 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,845,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I know we have some travelers on here. Being in a new job, I do not have a lot of vacation time, so time is really important. Changing planes leaves so much room for problems I won't have time for-delays, missed connections,lost luggage, cancellations, you name it-they all seem to happen on a regular basis. Way to ruin a short vacation. So I am looking for cool places with direct flights from SD.

I have thought a little about the British Airways London flight....but I need a really relaxing trip, and London is awesome but hardly relaxing , and lets face it, its pretty pricey.

I am not aware of any other direct flights to Europe from SD....would have to go to LAX and then that starts getting to be a hassle. Since I only want to use 5 vacations days (sandwiched between 2 weekends).

So we are looking at Hawaii (Oahu, specifically, since there are direct flights (!) about 5 hours long from SD.

Any other cool places? Is there a good search engine that would show all direct flights out of SD? I know I could go to Kayak and do a trip finder but you have to enter every city you are considering (and check "non stop"). Obviously this is too cumbersome. Criteria would be either: S. Europe or some place with good snorkeling/diving. Are there any off brand airlines going anywhere decent in Central America?
My vote would be Hawaii every time. Be aware, you are headed into the few months in Hawaii where it is actually cooler, but you will get the amazing wave action on the North Shore during November thru January.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM

I have been to Hawaii (Big I, Kauai, Maui, Molokai , Oahu) about 5 times- I love it. I am with you though, winter is stormier. I have always gone in Jan. My spouse has a conference available then, and we build vacations around it-mostly we liked getting away from bitter winter. I thought once I moved to SD my Hawaii fever would end, but it has not. I just don't have enough vacation time to go in Jan, so we are looking at late spring. We are really into snorkeling, and I understand once the North Shore settles down it has a lot of great spots. We have never been b/c it is too rough.

Alaska Airlines has direct flights to HNL, and Maui. I am not sure I am into Maui. I was only there a couple days and did not like it as much as the Big Island, or even Oahu for that matter....maybe I did not spend enough time there. If anyone is interested Alaska Airlines has some decent flight/hotel package deals in HNL....probably won't work for me b/c I want a kitchen/grill to cook, and none of the places are on the North Shore this time.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM

686 posts, read 1,143,607 times
If you want urban, the greatest city in the world, New York, is serviced non stop by United, jetBlue, Delta and American!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM

LOVES NY...but I need to relax. that place has me wired 24/7

Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,414,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
oh geez. I know I googled this, but I guess not well-
here is a list, in case anyone else is interested.
Nonstop flights offered at San Diego International Airport

Yeah, I was just going to post this link. LOL.

My vote is also for Hawaii. I really love Hawaii and the direct non-stop flights make it easy. We spent all of June and part of July (5 weeks) in Hawaii traveling around to the Big Island, Maui and Kauai. One of the best vacations we've ever taken!

We also really love Mexico. We spent most of July in Mexico. I know right now it's getting a lot of bad press on the violence. I didn't know there were so many flights from the airport in Tijuana. There was an article in this month's San Diego Magazine about some places they have discount flights to from the airport in Tijuana so maybe check that out if you like beaches and enjoy Mexico like we do. It was a surprise to hear about so much activity at the airport there!

Also, we enjoy the mountains quite a bit and always enjoy Breckenridge or Vail. We spent 2 weeks in Breckenridge in August and had a GREAT time so Denver is always an easy trip on Frontier Airlines. So those are some possibilities.

I really enjoy New York City but you're right...we stay so active there and always running around but they have some great shows on Broadway and GREAT shopping and go there a few times each year.

Let us know where you ended up going....have a great vacation!

PS. If you end up on the Big Island think about this rental we stayed in. www.vrbo.com/146968 (broken link) It was fantastic! If you make it to Kauai, consider this GREAT property we stayed 2 weeks in. It was amazing hearing the crashing waves at night and we woke up to watch dolphins swimming and huge sea turtles. It was amazing! http://www.vrbo.com/431 (broken link) We felt both were a great value vs. a hotel.

I think Alaska Airlines flies direct to Puerto Vallarta and we stayed at this FABULOUS apartment rental in Puerto Vallarta and one of the best rentals I've ever stayed in throughout all my travels around the world. The view was spectacular!! http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p258345

Last edited by earlyretirement; 10-19-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 PM

241 posts, read 715,006 times
I would suck it up and take a 1 stop to Belize or Costa Rica...it's only 1 more stop than zero

Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks ER (cant rep you anymore) I never thought about going to TJ airport. I have no issues at all with Mexico, but would probably want to do the Caribbean coast/Yucatan so I could snorkel more. Also I do have a short cruise already booked for Baja next year so I don't need to go to the Pacific coast. I am wondering if TJ airport does to Belize and Central America...

Anyway back to Hawaii. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Oahu flight. Its direct, car rentals are cheaper than normal and found a VRBO on the north shore that is decent. It would be a low stress vacation. I love VBRO since I love to cook local foods and I can get a place with a kitchen and grill. Plus, lets be honest Hawaii, for the most part, has the highest price restaurant food to average quality taste ratio of about anywhere I have been. Yet, the local grocery stores (not safeway) and fish markets have great quality. the Big Island is my favorite but I need to expand my horizons!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
I would suck it up and take a 1 stop to Belize or Costa Rica...it's only 1 more stop than zero
Sooo tempted, believe me, I already looked! prices are too high and flight too long ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego