Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 AM

59 posts, read 606,637 times

Advertisements

When will San Diego get an NBA team? Why doesn't S.D. have one already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 AM

342 posts, read 1,926,433 times
Ask Donald Sterling.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
San Diego Clippers 1978-1984.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:45 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
There has been a rumor saying that they might expand and put a team here.But the iPayOne Center is a dump and I think it last here that long because of lack of fan support.
And his name is David Stern.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
The city has lost two teams already. If it gets a third, the fans have some work to do in shaking the image.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
San Diego is a lousy sports town. Too much good weather and fun stuff to do. After the Petco stadium debacle and now the Chargers stadium debacle I don't see the city paying a dime to replace the Sports Arena anytime soon. Someone said it well.. "fair weather city makes fair weather fans." Take a look at Petco on any given night and see how many seats are empty... we paid a lot of money to build a smaller stadium that can't sell out.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Diego is a lousy sports town. Too much good weather and fun stuff to do. After the Petco stadium debacle and now the Chargers stadium debacle I don't see the city paying a dime to replace the Sports Arena anytime soon. Someone said it well.. "fair weather city makes fair weather fans." Take a look at Petco on any given night and see how many seats are empty... we paid a lot of money to build a smaller stadium that can't sell out.
I don't think San Diego is a lousy sports town. Sure it only has 2 pro teams but I can't imagine San Diego without the Padres or Chargers. Now SD has 2 winning teams. Sometimes the stadiums sell out, other times they don't. Look at how much they're charging for games these days also.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I don't think San Diego is a lousy sports town. Sure it only has 2 pro teams but I can't imagine San Diego without the Padres or Chargers. Now SD has 2 winning teams. Sometimes the stadiums sell out, other times they don't. Look at how much they're charging for games these days also.
Take a look at all the Boston fans who came all the way to CA to support their team. Even with a couple thousand out-of-towners they can't sell that stadium out.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Take a look at all the Boston fans who came all the way to CA to support their team. Even with a couple thousand out-of-towners they can't sell that stadium out.
I don't expect Petco to have a legit sell out anytime soon. Atleast San Diego is still doing good in tourism.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:13 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
A lot of Boston fans travel to see their team play, because it actually ends up cheaper for them than going to a game in Fenway and buying tickets from scalpers. We met several American Airlines employees who flew employee rate (free, standby only) to catch the Sox play in Dallas, and they explained this to us.

This year I will catch one Padre game. Since it's only one, I'm springing for some fancy-schmancy seats. But if I lived in SD, a lot of nights I'd probably stay home simply because I can get a far better view of the game from home than I can in the affordable "Park at the Park" section.

Anyone else remember $5 tix at the Murph? Complete nose-bleed, top of the stadium seats, just you and a few hundred other people and thousands of empty seats. The players looked like little specks. Ah....those were the days!

I don't see SD getting another pro team either, but I definitely think the Chargers should stay in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego