Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 PM

840 posts, read 6,518,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

I don't see SD getting another pro team either, but I definitely think the Chargers should stay in the county.
They'll most likely end up staying in the county. You got Chula Vista and Oceanside in the running but I would rather see them stay in the city. I remember hearing rumors of the Gulls turning pro. I was never interested in them anyway since I don't like hockey.

I remember those Murph days, too. They had some good seats cheap, well cheaper than they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 04:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,749,296 times
As others have already said, San Diego has lost 2 NBA teams already - Houston Rockets and LA Clippers. Chances of another one coming is slim if you ask me. I've decided that people here don't like to be kept indoors.

If anything, I'd like to see Major League Soccer come here before Basketball or Hockey. Soccer is a growing sport in this country and it's also the most popular sport worldwide. IMO, basketball is past it's peak and hockey has no business in a warm weather climate.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 711 times
It would be a good consideration that San Diego should have an NBA team, but they already had two teams that used to play there. One was the San Diego Clippers, before moving to LA, and the San Diego Rockets, before moving to Houston

Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,914,747 times
The west coast, in general, isn't as strong sports wise compared to the east coast. You have fans who would really jump off a bridge when their teams lose in NY, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc. Where as in places like San Diego, LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, etc most fans just turn the tv off and do something else. And who knows how great of a basketball town Los Angeles is, they've barely had any losing seasons. When you go from the Wilts of the world to Magic to Shaq and Kobe to Kobe and company and so on, it's easy to have celebrities root for that team. They have what, 10 championships and maybe like 13 finals over the past 30 years. And Kobe's era, they've made the playoffs 16 years out of 17.

I imagine if the lakers were more like they are this year, the celebrities would stop showing up and most fans would find something else to do. San diego is probably even worse than that as no celebrities would be at games.
Look at the Chargers the last couple of seasons. Blacked out games.

The other problem is a lot of people come from somewhere else. So you have a handful of hardcore fans from San Diego and then a bunch of people moving who are fans of some other team. Many people aren't changing their teams because they moved here. And really, if 22 year olds move to San Diego and move someplace else by the time they are 34, it's hard to build a fan base that will always attend the games.

And these days it's not even about hardcore fans. Most hardcore fans can't afford to go to games anywhere anymore. The difference is that in Lakerland you have celebrities spending big bucks, wanna be celebrities with money trying to get close to those people, businesses spending money trying to sell something pushing the fact celebrities are in the house. It becomes more an event than a sporting game.
Same thing happens in other cities except luxury boxes are sold to big corporations and they send off sales people, VPs, etc who have events at games. Most normal people aren't paying licensing fees and then on top of that affording season tickets or a 4 game package. San Diego doesn't have the big businesses who buy a couple luxury boxes or season tickets to give to VPs or sales people to pimp out their business and/or products and services. it's just the way it is.

San diego is really like Miami as a sports town. Miami is great now that the heat are winning, but they were a team nobody cared about with Wade for years. The Dolphins have been irrelevant for years and the Marlins.. They have a new stadium and nobody shows up. Places with beaches and nice weather tend to attract people who would rather surf then sit in some stadium seating and watching a game.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
The west coast, in general, isn't as strong sports wise compared to the east coast. You have fans who would really jump off a bridge when their teams lose in NY, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc. Where as in places like San Diego, LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, etc most fans just turn the tv off and do something else. And who knows how great of a basketball town Los Angeles is, they've barely had any losing seasons. When you go from the Wilts of the world to Magic to Shaq and Kobe to Kobe and company and so on, it's easy to have celebrities root for that team. They have what, 10 championships and maybe like 13 finals over the past 30 years. And Kobe's era, they've made the playoffs 16 years out of 17.

I imagine if the lakers were more like they are this year, the celebrities would stop showing up and most fans would find something else to do. San diego is probably even worse than that as no celebrities would be at games.
Look at the Chargers the last couple of seasons. Blacked out games.

The other problem is a lot of people come from somewhere else. So you have a handful of hardcore fans from San Diego and then a bunch of people moving who are fans of some other team. Many people aren't changing their teams because they moved here. And really, if 22 year olds move to San Diego and move someplace else by the time they are 34, it's hard to build a fan base that will always attend the games.

And these days it's not even about hardcore fans. Most hardcore fans can't afford to go to games anywhere anymore. The difference is that in Lakerland you have celebrities spending big bucks, wanna be celebrities with money trying to get close to those people, businesses spending money trying to sell something pushing the fact celebrities are in the house. It becomes more an event than a sporting game.
Same thing happens in other cities except luxury boxes are sold to big corporations and they send off sales people, VPs, etc who have events at games. Most normal people aren't paying licensing fees and then on top of that affording season tickets or a 4 game package. San Diego doesn't have the big businesses who buy a couple luxury boxes or season tickets to give to VPs or sales people to pimp out their business and/or products and services. it's just the way it is.

San diego is really like Miami as a sports town. Miami is great now that the heat are winning, but they were a team nobody cared about with Wade for years. The Dolphins have been irrelevant for years and the Marlins.. They have a new stadium and nobody shows up. Places with beaches and nice weather tend to attract people who would rather surf then sit in some stadium seating and watching a game.
End Of thread!
Spot on about San Diego and Sports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego