Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 19,586 times

Advertisements

I want to move to southern California, but also need a more affordable place to live. I would also like to be able to take day trips to the beach, hiking, San Diego, or LA. Apartments there seem to be $800-900 for a decent size, which would be good. I work from home as a freelance writer. What is Murrieta like? What is there to do? Is there a good rec/community center? A nice library? Does anyone know about the Waterstone at Murrieta apartment complex? It looks good in the pictures and the price is good, but it's hard to tell from pictures. I'm 25 moving from Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 03:58 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
Cool Murrieta: don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony74 View Post
I want to move to southern California, but also need a more affordable place to live. I would also like to be able to take day trips to the beach, hiking, San Diego, or LA. Apartments there seem to be $800-900 for a decent size, which would be good. I work from home as a freelance writer. What is Murrieta like? What is there to do? Is there a good rec/community center? A nice library? Does anyone know about the Waterstone at Murrieta apartment complex? It looks good in the pictures and the price is good, but it's hard to tell from pictures. I'm 25 moving from Boise.
Murrieta is a town surrounded by freeways with whacko selfish drivers & terrible lane merges that can seriously endanger your life.

People will STOP on the freeway in the second lane, waiting to get ON to the right exit lane. They will STOP to SNEAK in the HEAD of the line. So if you're going the speed limit around a curve on the freeway, you can SUDDENLY come upon a stopped car in the second from right lane.

If you can live in SD, at least you'll live in older area with pretty architecture & mature amenities. In Murrieta, it's pretty new with terrible infrastructure.

The fwys in SD, in my experience - I easily get lost & hate all of a sudden merges & turn offs which are abundant from Murrieta down south to the border - are a hassle but the pros outweigh the cons.

I think if you move to Murrieta you will regret it. That county & town are fraught with the unresolved issues brought on by corruption & mishandling on the state level as well as civic. This includes Temecula & anywhere in Riverside county IMHO.

Kate

Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Gee, Kate. Have a bad day in traffic?

To the OP, you might like to look at
Welcome to the City of Murrieta

Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Gee, Kate. Have a bad day in traffic?

To the OP, you might like to look at
Welcome to the City of Murrieta

bad memories...

Kate

Old 09-19-2009, 06:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
bad memories...

Kate
The 215 traffic has gotten much much worse since you left.

Count your blessings! You got out! (I'll be gone in 4 years )

Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
As I 've mentioned in harmony's other thread we have friends who are moving out there from the South Bay (Torrance) because they can't afford housing in the South Bay. And the husband has a job promotion out there. They also have friends who moved to Murrieta and really like the area.

The main complaint I hear is similar to the one's above about the traffic. A lot of ppl live there but work somewhere else and hate that they have to do that drive. But honestly longer commutes anywhere in SoCal are bad whether it is LA, OC or the Inland Empire. I used to drive all those freeways being from LA and am very glad I don't have to any more.

But if someone works from home like the op or in Murrieta then that becomes a non issue. So keep that in mind when answering the post. If you look at the original poster's question he/she is asking about the amenities of Murrieta. Any input there? Just curious.

Lastly it seems like the kind of place where ppl either love it or hate it based on their situation. Different strokes I guess.

Derek

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
As I 've mentioned in harmony's other thread we have friends who are moving out there from the South Bay (Torrance) because they can't afford housing in the South Bay. And the husband has a job promotion out there. They also have friends who moved to Murrieta and really like the area.

The main complaint I hear is similar to the one's above about the traffic. A lot of ppl live there but work somewhere else and hate that they have to do that drive. But honestly longer commutes anywhere in SoCal are bad whether it is LA, OC or the Inland Empire. I used to drive all those freeways being from LA and am very glad I don't have to any more.

But if someone works from home like the op or in Murrieta then that becomes a non issue. So keep that in mind when answering the post. If you look at the original poster's question he/she is asking about the amenities of Murrieta. Any input there? Just curious.

Lastly it seems like the kind of place where ppl either love it or hate it based on their situation. Different strokes I guess.

Derek
I'm from TORRANCE. Walteria, specifically, which is right next to Rolling Hills. I hated Murrieta.

Actually it was rather tolerable until they started building it out & increasing density which was in the city plans.Before the density increased, I could see the Santa Rosa Plateau from my bedroom window.

I moved before the 3 story apartment complex & parking lot for 700 cars went in behind my house, taking over the meadows where gnatcatchers played by the stream.

Murrieta is the armpit (other than Lake Elsinore & Menifee) between LA & SD. Of course, misery loves company, so friends would indeed likely follow each other to that destination. Many from Torrance & other suburbs who can't afford anywhere but Murrieta area. It's basically an exurb for commuters: a bedroom community with SAHM's that all want to trump each other's yard or car or involvement in PTA.

Not to mention the undercurrent of KKK type mentality. It's there if you know what to look for. By the time you begin to notice, you'll be amazed.

The locals tend to be the most uptight people I've ever met. The kids, in turn are uptight. Everyone shops & dressed from the mall, so you have like 4 styles of clothing to look at.

Everyone is in a hurry because commuting compartmentalizes their lives & they hide from it all in front of the TV.

IMO, it's just a place you'll want to leave before 5 years are up. Why bother? I feel that way about all of Riverside & SB county areas.

Kate

Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I'm from TORRANCE. Walteria, specifically, which is right next to Rolling Hills. I hated Murrieta.
IMO, it's just a place you'll want to leave before 5 years are up. Why bother? I feel that way about all of Riverside & SB county areas.

Kate
Ok Kate,

I think you have made it obvious that you hate Murrieta and all of Riverside & SB counties for that matter. How long was your commute just out of curiousity? Keep in mind that your dislike for the area is not everyone's experience. Some actually like those areas and not just KKK members. Where else wold you suggest the OP to look within that price range for an apt? How's OR going BTW?

But I think you have missed the point of the thread. Any chance looking beyond your bias long enough to answer the poster's original questions re amenities? Or maybe someone could attempt to answer the questions. Geesh...

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-20-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Ok Kate,

I think you have made it obvious that you hate Murrieta and all of Riverside & SB counties for that matter. How long was your commute just out of curiousity? Keep in mind that your dislike for the area is not everyone's experience. Some actually like those areas and not just KKK members. Where else wold you suggest the OP to look within that price range for an apt? How's OR going BTW?

But I think you have missed the point of the thread. Any chance looking beyond your bias long enough to answer the poster's original questions re amenities? Or maybe someone could attempt to answer the questions. Geesh...

Derek

i commuted to Escondido for a few months, but that wasn't a problem. just driving around town - if you go on the side streets, it isn't so bad. but the fwy on/off ramps in town & the main thoroughways: imo are awful.

i think the amenities in that area are negligible. i would expect one would have a better lifestyle renting (it would be affordable) an apartment in Torrance somewhere off of Hawthorne Blvd or PCH. super amenities & everything one could want less than 2 hours away. the traffic in the south bay isn't really that bad cuz the LA county street/fwy grid is predictable for the most part & very linear - blocked nicely. if you take the bus... it isn't bad. the buses go everywhere on the grid.

Oregon is fine ... the job situation is scary. people are laid back here. it's completely spread out here & no density to speak of. terrible tax base because they abhor taxation. the schools suffer. alot of poverty mixed in but relatively low crime now that meth is more under control. only portland has good mass transit.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-20-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: responding to OR question

Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
i think the amenities in that area are negligible. i would expect one would have a better lifestyle renting (it would be affordable) an apartment in Torrance somewhere off of Hawthorne Blvd or PCH. super amenities & everything one could want less than 2 hours away. the traffic in the south bay isn't really that bad cuz the LA county street/fwy grid is predictable for the most part & very linear - blocked nicely. if you take the bus... it isn't bad. the buses go everywhere on the grid.
While I agree with you about the South Bay being a better place to live overall I don't know if the OP can afford the rents there. Whether or not he/she would want to share a place with roomates would be another question/option in a more expensive area.

Quote:
Oregon is fine ... the job situation is scary. people are laid back here. it's completely spread out here & no density to speak of. terrible tax base because they abhor taxation. the schools suffer. alot of poverty mixed in but relatively low crime now that meth is more under control. only portland has good mass transit.

Kate
Interesting thoughts on Oregon. We almost moved there as it is a very beautiful place with the PNW coastline, the Gorge, and the Cascades. And we all love the outdoors. Unfortunately work is more limited up there for my profession. Although I might have been willing to take a pay cut just to live there. I love all the green up there. However I don't know if my wife could handle the clouds over the long haul. I think different ppl are effected in different ways by the grey days.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties