Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times

Advertisements

I lived in San Francisco for a year, and San Diego for two months. Drove through and around Los Angeles and Orange County a few times. However, what exactly IS the 'Inland Empire' and what is it all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 53,412 times
Quote:
what exactly IS the 'Inland Empire' and what is it all about?
It's nothing compared to San Fran, San Diego, LA, and Orange County. It is what you make of it. It's not exactly the most glamorous place in Southern California, but is has it's bright spots. It's a great place to raise a family at a bargain compared to some of the other areas in So Cal.

I grew up in Yucaipa. I HATED IT growing up. Some of the more rural areas don't have much to do for kids and teenagers, but that comes with the turf. Now, away in San Diego going to college, I've come to realize that the Inland Empire isn't that bad. Sometimes I miss the Lifted trucks, flat-billed flex-fits, and speeding tickets for driving 50 in a 45.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 AM

539 posts, read 1,805,781 times
I loved Riverside. My fiends would always ask why I didn't want to move to L.A. . Don't get me wrong, I love going to L.A., Ivine & South-Town but home is home. All of the smog, crime, spotty shopping and restaurants and it's lack of snob-appeal may (in a lot of cases) be true. But it (the IE) is the 14th or 16th largest metroplex in the country. As Vlad stated- it's what you make of it. Restaurants are improving beyond just the national chains. Shopping is fine for most people (no Neiman-Marcus, Barney's or Saks). If you know enough of the right people, you can get whatever you want most of the time. It probably reflects "Real California" not "Media California" more than any other place in California- good or bad. It's pretty much -Average California.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,880,366 times
The Inland Empire is considered the more affordable area in Southern CA,and it's also the fastest growing region in Southern CA as well.

Their are some really nice communities in the Inland Empire with gorgeous views of the Mountains from most locations.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM

74 posts, read 289,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in San Francisco for a year, and San Diego for two months. Drove through and around Los Angeles and Orange County a few times. However, what exactly IS the 'Inland Empire' and what is it all about?
The inland Empire is these cities (a few other cities as well, but I can't name them all).

San Bernardino, Riverside, Rialto, Chino, Corona, Rancho Cucumonga, Ontario, Temecula, Murrieta, Hemet, San Jacinto, Perris, Moreno Valley, Fontana, Redlands, Banning, Beaumont, Cabazon, Cotlon, Lake Elsinore, Loma Linda. Sorry for going all over the map-if you have one! If you have not drove through any of the cites above, you may have a time finding all of them since they are all spread out all over the place.

Many people would like to tell you that Temecula and Murrieta is NOT the inland empire, since the median income is about 75K there, but it IS the inland empire down there, even though people would like to think it is the "new orange county". Oh, and Temecula and Murrieta is in Riverside County, even though many people would like to believe it is San Diego County!

The job market in many of these cities are poor and I'd hate to let you know that, but in the Temecula area, in my experience, jobs pay less in Temecula as compared with Ontario. Now, I'm going off of my experience from 1995-2002. I'm not sure what it is like now. I know I wouldn't want to work in Temecula, unless I am a manager. The closer you get to L.A or Orange County, the pay is better.

If you lived in SF for awhile, you may suffer from culture shock you. the bus system in the IE is horrible and it is worse in Riverside County. If you move here, make sure you have a car or you may have to walk from a bus stop for 2-3 miles.

As far as places to shop? Stater Bros is all around and they are pretty good priced. Ralphs, Vons and more expensive. Trader Joes in Temecula. Two star bucks in Perris and a Winco and Home Depot in Perris. I can't tell you all of the places in Temecula, since I do not live there. I know Temecula has more now than it did 7 years ago.

Things to do? It depends on what you enjoy! I like to go-kart race so...Pole Position is in Murrieta and in Corona. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Hope it helped.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times
I was browsing at housing prices, and they still seem quite high compared to what I would think would be similar areas - Phoenix or Las Vegas.

What keeps people in the Inland Empire in the Inland Empire, and not moving on to those two seemingly similar cities at much lower prices?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 AM

43 posts, read 243,893 times
The IE is a barren wasteland of affordable housing 1+ hour away from all the job centers. There is no culture here. There are a lot of lifted trucks, people who smoke cigarettes and litter their butts (amongst the other crap they throw out of their cars), as well as Nazis who decorate street signs with Swastikas. If cheap brand new 3500 square foot houses in the middle of nowhere are your thing, the IE is the place for you. If you can stand the high percentage of rude people, smog (in places), and having to drive an hour to get to anything remotely entertaining and/or good paying, certain spots in the IE (Redlands, Temescal Canyon, South Corona, Temecula) wouldn't be so bad. Sierra Del Oro is nice as it's very close to O.C., but not so cheap.

Despite the IE's nicer parts, there is still nothing to do here (unless you want to get wasted on wine in Temecula all day). Having been here for 11 months, I can't wait to leave this place next month.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 PM

271 posts, read 1,237,927 times
The Inland Empire is a marketing term invented by the realtors in the 1970s.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
The Inland Empire is a marketing term invented by the realtors in the 1970s.
That's interesting. I'll have to google that. The Inland Empire has some
nice vistas. I know Hemet mostly since my Mother lives there since 1978.
It is sort of all right but once I spend more and more time it gets pretty depressing to me. There is just something missing. Most of it feels like a bland suburb in the middle of nowhere. Despite that it has it has atmospheres at times that can be pretty cool. The odd street with wonderful bungalows that are retro and well taken care of.

Yet, why are there so many rude and unhappy people though? Nice people too but some are so miserable in the service sector. It is too hot there or else it would be just fine but the heat, Yikes!. Summer is endless and overwhelming to me. I have thought of living there for a while but doubt I ever will.

Last edited by cazelais; 05-16-2008 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: errors

Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 136,338 times
I moved from the Inland Empire in February of this year. The worst place in the world for families, children activities, housing, jobs, and shopping. There have been so many budget cuts in the Inland Empire it is unreal. I moved from Redlands, Ca. They had high rent, not family oriented, the top "Devil Worshipping" city in the Ca and the US, gang members, poor policing, racism, education is ok, slum landlords, poverty among the causcian race, very little help for seniors, and kids just wander around unsupervised, need i say more...

San Bernardino is listed as being one of the cities with a "high murder rate", and high proverty rate among all races, gangs, drugs, poor policing, corruption, poor education system, and the list goes on. Riverside county was just not my cup of tea. People are very cold toward each other, and it is everyone for themselves. No unity at all. The same pertains to San Bernardino, Redlands, Redondo Beach, Long Beach, and most of the California cities. Riverside city bus service is does not offer good service at all. Riverside county is underdeveloped, racist, stupid, unprofessional, rent is extremely high, very little job growth, too far to go from one location to another, drugs, drugs, and more drugs, overcrowed schools, poor education system, etc.... Ignorance is rampant in California, and everyone wants to place the blame on everyone from city government, county, and state government. I refuse to suggest any other counties in California, as i found no others fit what my family needed, so i did not check any further. Just decided it was time to get out.

If you see the chance to relocate take it, but not before thoroughly researching every state. This is what you would look for, kid friendly, job economy, churches, the cost of housing, safe neighborhoods, crime, schools, shopping, city officials, police enforcement, taxes, commute to and from work, state government, theater, activities for yourself, community involvement, gyms, their located in proximity of major cities, night life, retirement communities. These are just starters. You do want to be well rounded.

My son came home and told me his friends said "What your mother found on the internet about Redlands is right". They told him devil worshipping was happening at the Barton Mansion, on a regular basis. I saw for myself a satanic sign painted on a closed gas station. I saw very few, and i mean a very few attending church during the week or Sunday's. Please, everyone donot bother responding. I lived in California for 25 years and know what i speak about. Have a wonderful and blessed day!!!

Last edited by Brenda88; 05-16-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties