Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 AM

21 posts, read 53,239 times

Advertisements

OK. So, this is another reolcating thread. We are considering an offer to relocate from GA to San Antonio. We live in a downtown neighborhood, historic home in an historic district, wak to cafes, bars, farmers market, we know all our neighbors, sit on our front porch, and are always inviting people over for dinners, drinks, dessert, chats, political bull sessions, etc. Also another Lance-wanna-be, so I will be talking to one of the many boke clubs/groups/LBS. Originally from Houston area, been in GA now for over 6 years. We need to come home for brisket, football, and floating the river! We will be renting our home since there is a good chance my company will move me back in 2-3 years. We want to rent a house in one of the downtown areas where we can walk to get great enchiladas verdes, tomalles, margaritas, or Patron Silver. King William, Lavaca, Monte Vista, all quickly come to mind. Are we dreaming? Can we find it without breaking the bank? Anyone know a low-pressure realtor who can help us find a not only a rental house (not condo/apt) but help us learn the areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,943 times
centrosanantonio.com

Deb Maltz is one of the few realtors that focuses on the hoods you mentioned. You might like the St. Benadict lofts given your desires.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 AM

188 posts, read 550,960 times
San Antonio Vintage Homes - The Joe Barfield Group

We worked with Papa Joe Barfield, who was recommended to me on this board. He and his son specialize in homes in the more historic areas. I believe they manage some rentals in the area, as well. We live in Alta Vista (next to Monte Vista) and love it. I'd look at Mahncke Park in addition to the neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
Great advice; Joe Barfield and Deborah Maltz are both great options.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Great

I just sent a quick note to Joe Barfield's group. Thanks each. Hey, DVLPR, I copied a post from you to my wife a bit ago. You really nailed why we are looking for one of the downtown neighborhoods.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,729 times
I also recommend Joe Barfield and Papa Joe, they're both great. However, with regard to your comments about walkability and wanting a "front porch" community, I would not recommend Mahncke Park or Monte Vista... they're both a little too gentrified and have lost some of the "front porch gathering" feeling. (Don't tell Joe I said that - he lives in Mahncke Park!)

Instead I would look at Tobin Hill or King William, each situated at one end of the developed portions of the SA River (just north and just south of downtown). King William is more established while Tobin Hill is still "in transition", but you'll find a thriving arts community in both areas. Both are highly walkable with many restaurants and Tobin Hill is also home to the super-cool Pearl Brewery complex with a weekly local/organic farmers market and many new shops/restaurants.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I have to disagree with the "gentification" of Mahncke Park. I live there and the neighborhood is very friendly. More than once pitchers of margaritas are flowing from yard to yard. or just hangin on the fence talking. It's getting to be a very friendly place with a turnover that seems to be looking for the friendly caring neighbor. There's no better security system in town than a neighbor who notices strange cars or people and asks who they are. Not nosey, just checking.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Default Pearl Brewery and real neighbors

Tobin Hill is definitely one of the top spots for us to look at. Thanks for the tip about the eats, Pearl Brewery and Farmers Market. We love that!! These are the things that we are really looking for in SA.

The last post really caught my eye. Last year some "people" broke into our garage and stole an expensive carbon bike, two mtn. bikes, and a lot of yard gear. One neighbor saw the vehicle in the street between our houses at 4 am, but didn't think about either calling out or calling the police. He's a great guy, so I don't fault him, but I COMPLETELY AGREE that the safest neighborhood is one where the residents notice who may not belong and are man (woman, or let's just say TEXAN) enough to notice and speak out! Now for the margaritas passing from house to house, that also sounds like us. I will make sure we save one bottle of Patron (silver, the coffee one is for sipping).

Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Here's what we love

relocating and looking for downtown-personal-515.jpg

OK. When we are not sitting on the porch, eating out or maybe walking up to Pearl Brewery, this is what we are looking for in a neighborhood. The attached pic is of my wife last Easter at one of our regular backyard gatherings. Mud bugs, shrimp, corn, potatoes and beer. You all are invited...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio