Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,075,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I am telling you up front this is could be a dumb question, but here goes...this is the first winter that I have lived in the Bandera hill country. My husband is away on a hunting trip, and he is normally my weather gauge. How do I know if I can drive to work on Friday morning? I know all the weather stations will say it's icy, but coming in from the hill country I will probably be facing sightly icier roads than in town. I really don't want to miss work unless I absolutely have to, so how do I know for sure? I drive a Jetta, which is no help on icy days.
If you're lucky, your employer will be monitoring the weather situation very closely, and if there's a chance it will be bad, you may be told to stay home. Sounds silly to anyone not from here, but we are just not prepared for icy roads. WOAI, KSAT, MYSA--you can check those sites starting tomorrow afternoon, I bet. If your employer is big enough (like USAA or similar) they may have it posted on their site as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,253,197 times
Quote:
I am telling you up front this is could be a dumb question, but here goes...this is the first winter that I have lived in the Bandera hill country. My husband is away on a hunting trip, and he is normally my weather gauge. How do I know if I can drive to work on Friday morning? I know all the weather stations will say it's icy, but coming in from the hill country I will probably be facing sightly icier roads than in town. I really don't want to miss work unless I absolutely have to, so how do I know for sure? I drive a Jetta, which is no help on icy days.
I agree with sapphire, you need to make sure you employer is aware of the possibility of the weather being too bad for you to commute on Friday morning. The good news is that I don't think the weather early Friday will be too bad since the temperature should be above freezing (even in the hill country). Your commute home may be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
If you're lucky, your employer will be monitoring the weather situation very closely, and if there's a chance it will be bad, you may be told to stay home. Sounds silly to anyone not from here, but we are just not prepared for icy roads. WOAI, KSAT, MYSA--you can check those sites starting tomorrow afternoon, I bet. If your employer is big enough (like USAA or similar) they may have it posted on their site as well.
Nope, many people feel the need to drive speed limits assuming that is safe.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,386,228 times
I would love to see snow....just leave out the ice Anthony. TYVM!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
The weather service says there have only been two times in recorded history when SA got snow accumulation greater than a trace in the month of December:

November 23...1957 0.3 inches
December 14...1898 2.7 inches

Old 12-03-2009, 05:49 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,427,585 times
that is about a 50 year cycle and 2009 is 52 years after 1957...

Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,219,047 times
Quote:
I have the same problem. Anthony is right and I think the drive home Friday afternoon/evening will be worse than the morning trip.
You can always go to work and keep an eye on the road conditions out there. You can also check the Bandera ISD website for school closures. If the roads get bad surely they will be closing school. The website is Bandera Independent School District - Bandera, Texas USA. If they close then you should probably head home.

I also think that driving on 471 would be safer than PR 37, too many curves on that road. Just my opinion.

Good luck and be careful out there!!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Since weather is likely to be a top concern in the area for the next day or two, I've stickied this thread to make it easy to find.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,850,582 times
Anthony: Do you have any updated projection maps for tomorrows snow fall?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,044,341 times
If it just snows and not rains at my house we may just have to sit out by a fire!!!!!!!!!! Pretend camping!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,656,655 times
My first freeze of the season this a.m....30.4°. Lows are running one to two degrees lower than the NWS forecast for my local area (I live in the hills of NE Medina Co.) lately. 25° forecast for Friday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio