Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 PM

142 posts, read 340,467 times

Advertisements

Isn't there a German Meetup group in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,683,357 times
I moechte Jaegerschnitzel mit pommes frites und ein Pils

Danke

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,536,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post

Danke
You want a moon pie and a shot of Jagermeister?
I really need to brush up on my German.

There are many German organizations, clubs, etc. in and around San Antonio. Just about any small town in the hill country has a German background of some sorts. I grew up listening to Polka and Ooom-pa music...(well, kind of forced to, my dad played and still plays in a band that plays old German-Czech music) went to all the old dance halls such as Anhalt, Twin Sisters, Martinez, Quihi, etc.,etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM

954 posts, read 1,278,179 times
I think that means I want a Jaegerschnitzel with fried potatoes and a pilsner beer.However,pommes frites is french. I think in german that should be pelt katoffel,or fried potatoes. My late father,who was german would make pelt katoffel mit schievel, which is potatoes fried with onions,which for some reason he called polish potatoes.
We never went to Wurstfest in New Braunfels .One, my parents didn't care for crowds,especially any crowd with a bunch of drunks in it, and two, my dad just didn't get excited over it.
Maybe it was because he was from Milwaukee,and he considered some of the germans around the Schertz and new Braunfels area "A Bunch of Platzdeutch Speaking Rhinelanders".What that meant, I don't know.He was half Prussian(mom's side) and Bavarian (dad's side) , and both sides were well to do landholders and the majority of family members in the military were officers,so i assume it was some sort of class elitest thing. Never thought to ask.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,102,749 times
Germans have been using the term "pomme frites" for a very long time. They usually eat them with a small wooden or plastic fork and mayonnaise.

What he should have said was "Ich möchte eine Jeagerschnitzel mit Pommes frites und ein Pils, bitte!"

Personally I'd prefer a Weinerschnitzel, but it's all good!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM

123 posts, read 259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Germans have been using the term "pomme frites" for a very long time. They usually eat them with a small wooden or plastic fork and mayonnaise.

What he should have said was "Ich möchte eine Jeagerschnitzel mit Pommes frites und ein Pils, bitte!"

Personally I'd prefer a Weinerschnitzel, but it's all good!

Cheers! M2
Agreed. They were referred to as pommes frites when I went to Germany many years ago.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 AM

25 posts, read 36,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
I think that means I want a Jaegerschnitzel with fried potatoes and a pilsner beer.However,pommes frites is french. I think in german that should be pelt katoffel,or fried potatoes. My late father,who was german would make pelt katoffel mit schievel, which is potatoes fried with onions,which for some reason he called polish potatoes.
Pommes frites are French fries. I believe what you're thinking of is a kartoffelpuffer, which is often served mit apfelmus (with applesauce). Kartoffelpuffer, also known as a potato pancake, has a few other names in German like Reibekuchen or Reiberdatschi depending on the region in which you live.

Quote:
We never went to Wurstfest in New Braunfels .One, my parents didn't care for crowds,especially any crowd with a bunch of drunks in it, and two, my dad just didn't get excited over it.
Maybe it was because he was from Milwaukee,and he considered some of the germans around the Schertz and new Braunfels area "A Bunch of Platzdeutch Speaking Rhinelanders".What that meant, I don't know.He was half Prussian(mom's side) and Bavarian (dad's side) , and both sides were well to do landholders and the majority of family members in the military were officers,so i assume it was some sort of class elitest thing. Never thought to ask.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but that comment from your father is rather rude. Just fyi.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,084,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post

Danke
ill second that

Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 953 times
Quote:
Almost certainly a class thing. Landowning Prussians = royalty. "Platzdeutch Speaking Rhinelanders" are those crazy democrats/workers who tried to replace the monarchy with a parliamentary system in 1848! [Many fled to Texas when the revolution failed.]

Kartoffelpuffer mit apfelmus (potato pancakes with applesauce) are "einfach wunderbar" (simply wonderful)!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM

50 posts, read 84,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G43K98 View Post
Kartoffelpuffer mit apfelmus (potato pancakes with applesauce) are "einfach wunderbar" (simply wonderful)!
Kartoffel Puffer was/is available at the Beethoven´s Oktoberfest in San Antonio. Great "Bier Garten" event in King William but bring your own Stein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio