Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

I do not have any children but I pay the high school property tax just like anyone else does since I own a home. If people are taking kids out of school for vacation, I am ok with the schools being docked for that student being absent. Why should I pay for your child's education while they are absent (even for one day) if they are going on vacation? If there is a stronger need for missing school such as a funeral or sickness, then I understand the situation.

My parents never took me out of school just for vacation but I remember my friends doing this. It seemed pretty common back then before the schools had ultra tight budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
You make it sound like you get a refund if the school doesn't get the money when the child is absent.

Where does that money go?

In my opinion it's one of many stupid metrics that the educational system employs.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
So why would you plan a vacation during the school year?
My parents did this all the time when I was a kid and we traveled the world.
It was easy because we were in private school.
Not one day I missed in school was a problem with my education, and I learned all about the whole world.
There are many reasons to go during the year, including weather, less crowds, convenience for parents' schedule, sometimes my dad had work stuff to go to, what other relatives in other parts of the world could do schedule-wise, etc. I'm a doc and my bro is a patent attorney, so I guess we turned out ok.

I think as a parent, it's up to me to worry about my kids' education and losing a few days here or there is nothing in the long run. I understand there are parents out there who don't care and have to be legislated into caring. I also understand that the bigger point is that schools lose money for every day a kid isn't in attendance.

Don't much care. If I'm going, I am going. Not all of us have time during the summer and allotted vacation times to go places. Meanwhile, we're not missing out.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
Sometimes there's an event that you want to attend. There's any number of legitimate reasons to pull your kid out of school for a trip.

We did it this year for like 5 days and I don't feel bad about it at all. We did it in January too.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
How many total days can kid miss in NEISD without being harassed with Saturday school or such?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
How many total days can kid miss in NEISD without being harassed with Saturday school or such?
It was 17 or 18 when my kids were in NEISD. You can call the school and ask. When you get to about ten days, they start sending warning letters like crazy.

That's better than NISD though...one of the moms on my street said that her son was tardy a few times, which was out of her hands because her husband has custody on the weekends and would drop the boy off late on Monday mornings. The principal actually called the mom into the school for a meeting and said that if the boy was tardy again, the truant officer would come out to their house.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
10% of the required attendance days, so 18 (10% of 177).

But yes, you will begin receiving letters, etc., earlier than that.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Problem:

Tell truth (took child on vacation with parents)----unexcused absence

Lie(child sick)------ excused absence

Teaching child that the path of least resistance is to lie-------Wait a minute, that works in Washington, so never mind.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Go on vacation. A week without school is not gonna hurt them. The school system just misses out on some money everytime a student missed. That is what they are upset about. It is always about money, the education is second.
On the day you leave, if you can have the kid in school until 9 am that would be counted as a full day of attendance because they get the money.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
The school system just misses out on some money everytime a student missed. That is what they are upset about. It is always about money, the education is second.
Of course. Education costs nothing. What are they thinking?

Yesterday, I had three students absent. All struggling. All three for minor reasons (one had an appointment at 1:00, one went for a pedicure with Mom, and one stayed home because Grandma thought it was too cold to leave the house). Yet, I will need to devote additional time to them to catch them up on what they missed. And they will continue to miss school, struggle, lather, rinse, repeat.

BTW, whether the absence is excused or unexcused, it will still count towards the maximum days allowed. The only days that do not count are with a doctor's note, or extenuating circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio