Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,902 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone knows personally what neighborhoods in San Antonio have very high Christian Church attendance. We will be moving soon. My husband and I & our three children ( ages 7, 3, & 2). I have until the spring to decide what neighborhoods to consider. Ideally I would like to find an area where I can feel like (as much as is possible these days) that I am raising my children in a Christian neighborhood/community. So I guess I was wondering if there were any way to find out what neighborhoods boast the highest church attendance, Christian community involvement, etc. maybe there's even a website that publishes that kind of data? Any info., leads, input, or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
-jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times
Hmmm... well there's a big one in Stone Oak. Big place - you can see the guy blowing the horn standing on the roof when you fly in. It's right around Stone Oak and Hardy Oak. There's probably a lot of attenders nearby.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,426,574 times
Try here:

TransformSA

Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM

259 posts, read 910,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Hmmm... well there's a big one in Stone Oak. Big place - you can see the guy blowing the horn standing on the roof when you fly in. It's right around Stone Oak and Hardy Oak. There's probably a lot of attenders nearby.
The poster didn't say she was Mormon, so I doubt it's her kind of place.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:39 PM

734 posts, read 3,017,293 times
Quote:
That is a temple and not Sunday church building - although it services the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints all over South Texas. There might be a higher concentration of Mormons in that area, but the temple is newer than the neighborhoods. The surrounding neighborhoods have people of all denominations.

To answer the OP. I think you just need to go to a neighborhood and see if it's 1) near a church you are interested in attending 2) like the houses and the feel of the neighborhood. Do you see kids playing in the street and neighbors out being friendly? I don't think their church attendance would have anything to do with that personally, but you might find that many of then do attend church. And many of them might not attend a Christian church like you would, but that doesn't make them a poor neighbor.

I would think that around some of the larger churches, there would a larger concentration of members for that church. So maybe in the area of the huge Cornerstone Church or Community Bible Church there are some?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,560,648 times
FWIW - we have four churches within a 5 minute walk of my house - one across the street (JW), one behind that (generic 'Christian'). One a few blocks further down (Baptist), and another one block down from there (Orthodox).

Despite that high concentration, very few in our neighborhood attend any of these churches. So I'm not sure you could go by the presence of a church alone to guestimate "Christians" in any particular neighborhood.

Clarification - most of the ones whom I know attend some sort of organized religious activity attend other places, though I know some who attend these. There are others who are not religious at all. There may be far more religious people in the neighborhood, I'm not saying no one attends Church, but few seem to advertise their religious affiliation.

Last edited by Chaka; 10-01-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
The poster didn't say she was Mormon, so I doubt it's her kind of place.
Yeah I know - just messing around. I think geography has very little to do with wherever people go to church, temple or whatever.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I think geography has very little to do with wherever people go to church, temple or whatever.
I agree. I don't think you'll find many neighborhoods with an exceptionally large Christian population. Things are fairly homogeneous in most areas.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 PM

778 posts, read 2,504,738 times
I think it would be a lot more entertaining to move into a neighborhood full of heathens and attempt to convert them.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
I think it would be a lot more entertaining to move into a neighborhood full of heathens and attempt to convert them.
Outdoor speaker system + Stryper at max volume = good times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio