Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 PM

554 posts, read 2,315,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post

I read somewhere that the Babcock DPS office was the busiest in the state.
I was in the Babcock DPS once and the officer (sherrif's deputy, I guess) who was there told me this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM

475 posts, read 1,097,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodeso View Post
What does this mean?
Although the post you refer to is from last year, Eger is referring to the fact that Florida does not require a license plate on the front of your vehicle, unlike Texas. Floridians like to keep their front bumpers nice, natural and clean.

On a related note, even where required by law, there are usually a few ways to attach a front license plate to a car. Many dealers take a short cut and drill right into the front bumper instead of using a plate holder that attaches from below -- a lot of expensive new cars are thus damaged before even being sold.

Although a clean front plate install is not always possible, I have seen on several vehicle models where one dealer does a clean front plate install and another does a butchered one.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM

4,381 posts, read 7,327,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Although the post you refer to is from last year, Eger is referring to the fact that Florida does not require a license plate on the front of your vehicle, unlike Texas. Floridians like to keep their front bumpers nice, natural and clean.

On a related note, even where required by law, there are usually a few ways to attach a front license plate to a car. Many dealers take a short cut and drill right into the front bumper instead of using a plate holder that attaches from below -- a lot of expensive new cars are thus damaged before even being sold.

Although a clean front plate install is not always possible, I have seen on several vehicle models where one dealer does a clean front plate install and another does a butchered one.
If you buy a NEW vehicle in San Antonio, I've noticed a lot of dealers already have a front license plate frame with a cardboard or plastic plate insert that has the dealer's name in bold mounted on all vehicles in their inventory. When you go back to get your license plates, they usually just remove the insert with their name an put your metal plate in its place.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM

475 posts, read 1,097,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If you buy a NEW vehicle in San Antonio, I've noticed a lot of dealers already have a front license plate frame with a cardboard or plastic plate insert that has the dealer's name in bold mounted on all vehicles in their inventory. When you go back to get your license plates, they usually just remove the insert with their name an put your metal plate in its place.
Yeah, I meant that the frame you use on the front bumper in many cases drills into the bumper, permanently damaging the bumper. It isn't on all car models and not at all dealers, but to me, you don't damage a bumper in that way.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM

128 posts, read 437,716 times
Ok, so....when we move to TX...we get our license first...and then we have to go a different place to get our plates?
I'm so furious this is all happening. We moved to CT last fall....slightly extended the law by going about 9 months over the 30 days they allow you to change your license and plates...had a VERY hard time, they are sticklers here in CT .... just finally got everything we needed a week ago tomorrow...got a call yesterday stating, we are moving!
Great. More lines, more DMVs.....

Do you have to get emissions on your cars before you get plates there too?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM

153 posts, read 523,193 times
I'm sure that was very frusterating getting the call only a few days later! The good news is you will not need to worry about emissions testing in San Antonio.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Well, that is good news
but I looked up the moving to TX info...and it looks like we do our vehicles first (within 30 days of moving) and then our licenses (within 90 days)?? Wow, that is so backwards from everyother state I"ve ever lived in. Am I reading this correctly?

And since in CT you have to pay property taxes on your vehicles...we MUST change over ASAP so we don't get stuck paying even more when we aren't even here!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,594,209 times
Yes, no property or excise tax on vehicles here (we had to pay in MA). Annual registration runs about $55-$70 per year. You can renew at HEB (grocery store) easily.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Wow, what is the charge for transfereing drivers license? do you know?
It was $40 here in CT just to "change over from another state" plus an additional $66 for a 6 yr license... PER license..so already that is $212 we paid for our stupid licenses....
My husband did the cars alone w/o me and I wanna say they were just under $300 to plate in CT....and I"m not sure when we will be graced with the lovely property tax bill..but i'm sure they won't waste any time making us pay more, lol. Plus of course we had to pay $20 per car for emmissions testing.....

Very much looking forward to moving to TX, where the cost of living alone is so much cheaper than CT. We are originally from IN and are used to much less cost of living than here on the East Coast!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,055 times
I recently went through the same thing. I moved here from Maryland (although I grew up here) and in the town I was living in, which was much smaller than San Antonio, they had a far bigger place. Also, I couldn't believe I had to wait 6 weeks for a driver's license! In Maryland, you got your picture taken and your license on the spot! What's up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio