Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM

175 posts, read 303,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Also, name 5 cities with a downtown/city center more active and vibrant than San Antonio. And try to avoid the usual suspects, such as NYC, Chicago, SF, and Miami. Because we GET IT. We don't compare to those cities. Seriously though...make a list, I'm curious what you would submit. (Hint: don't say Houston, its a progressive metropolitan city that SHUTS DOWN on Fridays around 5pm).
San Antonio's downtown is largely tourist-driven, and so therefore is an inaccurate picture of the cities' true dynamic energy. I think for someone really wanting to get a feel of the true vibrancy of a place (or in this case, the lack thereof), one must venture into the less touristy areas, such as North Central San Antonio along Main street, or Monte Vista, or Southtown, which unlike Houston, don't "SHUT DOWN" because they were never alive to begin with.

Doubt me on that? Drive to the aforementioned areas any day of the week (except perhaps Saturday nights at Southtown or along Main toward the "alternative" establishments), and tell me that those areas are not devoid of any vibrancy. They're all dead, as if they're all in a permantly suspended or comatose state. The fact that many of you profess to not recognize this just proves the point I've been making all along about most San Antonio residents.

Contrast this with a place like Houston or Dallas, whose downtowns are ghost towns after six, have other happening areas in and around their downtowns, so there's really no comparison there. Austin, because of it's large college population, centralized and developed downtown, and status as a popular destination in Texas keeps it's downtown hip, relevant, and rarely dead, especially at night during all days of the week and on weekends.

Therefore, I'm going to ask YOU to name me five parts of San Antonio that feel "alive" OUTSIDE of downtown on any given day (Hint: don't say La Cantera or Six Flags because those are shopping/entertainment destinations).

As for the five cities with downtowns more active and vibrant downtowns than San Antonio, no problem, I can name ten:

1. New Orleans
2. Atlanta
3. Philadelphia
4. Boston
5. Providence
6. DC
7. St. Louis
8. Seattle
9. Denver
10. Austin

Last edited by L3XVS; 05-23-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
FWIW - I have no desire to change your opinion or any of the other naysayers. I do have a desire to offer a counter argument for any who may be reading these "san antonio sucks" posts by giving my perspective, just as you are entitled to continue writing the 'san antonio sucks' posts.
So why get all worked up then, as you just have? If I'm entitled to my opinions of San Antonio, which admittedly are mostly negative, then please, continue preaching your love for this place. And please, do it without throwing a fit.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Quite frankly, no one really gives a rat's rump what your opinion of SA (or any other place) is. It's okay to have an opinion, but the constant BASHING is a bit wearing on the nerves. You've gone past expressing opinion and have gone to trashing, and that's the reason for our annoyance. SA isn't for everyone and those who come here from somewhere else should've done their research BEFORE choosing to live here. You would've gotten SA's "vibe" (or, in your opinion, the lack thereof) and perhaps made a wiser decision. SA is not perfect, but no place is. You (and others who parrot your comments) are upset because SA does not live up to your standards, but you CHOSE to live here and continue to do so. I'm imagining that if you CHOSE to live here, you can CHOOSE to move elsewhere. You're bashing is merely a reflection of your bad decision to move here. That is not SA's fault, it's yours. Get over it.
If you find my posts that offensive, and if they cause you this much distress, why not just block me? Seriously, I don't get it. It's not like someone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my posts. I characterize a relatively large number of you as a San Antonio mob of sorts...utilizing various tactics to try to get people to change their minds and/or refrain from giving their honest impressions of this place (if and only if they differ from your own of course ).

If you don't like it, don't read it! Quite simple, really.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,619 times
L3XVS, what are you trying to prove? That you can beat a dead horse longer than most sane people?

And your list is poop. Most of those cities have ding dong dead downtown's when the sun goes down. Like your number 1, you do know the French Quarter isn't their downtown, right?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
If you find my posts that offensive, and if they cause you this much distress, why not just block me? Seriously, I don't get it. It's not like someone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my posts. I characterize a relatively large number of you as a San Antonio mob of sorts...utilizing various tactics to try to get people to change their minds and/or refrain from giving their honest impressions of this place (if and only if they differ from your own of course ).

If you don't like it, don't read it! Quite simple, really.
How difficult is it to understand. We here don't have a problem with differing views. It's the constantly **** poor attitude and tone when giving those views and opinions that gets to people.

Quit playing the victim role.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:48 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,062 times
Therefore, I'm going to ask YOU to name me five parts of San Antonio that feel "alive" OUTSIDE of downtown on any given day (Hint: don't say La Cantera or Six Flags because those are shopping/entertainment destinations).

Once again, ONLY YOUR OPINION MATTERS!! WRONG!!! First place, all of those cities that you mentioned, are overpopulated, have higher unemployment, worse traffic, higher cost of living, inflation, so if that's how you define ALIVE, well then your definition of downtown activity is avoiding an unemployed frantic road rage person shoots you for your car, or money. That's living.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post

Once again, ONLY YOUR OPINION MATTERS!! WRONG!!! First place, all of those cities that you mentioned, are overpopulated, have higher unemployment, worse traffic, higher cost of living, inflation, so if that's how you define ALIVE, well then your definition of downtown activity is avoiding an unemployed frantic road rage person shoots you for your car, or money. That's living.
Cool, but that's not what we were debating here. We were discussing vibrancy and how it pertains to San Antonio specifically. Stay on topic.

And it's not really an opinion that the areas I mentioned are pretty lifeless. You really do not see an active community of people walking, eating in cafe's, or even driving through...if you choose to assert otherwise, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
And it's not really an opinion that the areas I mentioned are pretty lifeless. You really do not see an active community of people walking, eating in cafe's, or even driving through...if you choose to assert otherwise, I'd be interested in your reasoning.
It is a opinion. The mere fact that you think it isn't is a prime example of self importance. Except on a a crazy sick level of pretentiousness.

Everything you've ever stated on the forum is opinion. Not one time, that I can remember, have you posted anything factual.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Not one time, that I can remember, have you posted anything factual.
And is that also not a "matter of opinion"? Seriously dude, it goes both ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
It is a opinion. The mere fact that you think it isn't is a prime example of self importance. Except on a a crazy sick level of pretentiousness.
Okee dokee! Sometimes, I think you just look for excuses to assign underhanded remarks and insults. It's clear to anyone reading that you have not been to the areas of San Antonio I mentioned nor have you compared them, in terms of active vibrancy to those other cities. Otherwise you could not possibly be sitting there suggesting that I'm biased or egoist. It's a fact! Monte Vista, Southtown, King William, Arts District are not these bustling areas with people every day of the week and every day of year!

It's like we're in parallel universes...ya'll seein' one thing, and I'm seeing something completely different!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
The OP has been absent from this thread for nearly a month. Many posts have been deleted to get it back on track and still its current direction is far afield of the kind of help she was seeking. It actually seems quite unhelpful now. Since the underlying theme of City-Data is "We are here to help each other," the OP is invited start a new thread if she needs more help. This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio