Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,373,946 times

Advertisements

You're not from Fl, you would not understand.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I'm from Southern California, and I'd argue our beaches surpass Florida's pretty well. ("our" = California, not Texas....agree Texas beaches leave a lot to be desired. But you don't move to San Antonio for the beach)

As for the OP, beach volleyball with waves crashing will be hard to find, but there is plenty of competitive sand volleyball around. Most important thing is to embrace SA for what it has to offer, rather than for what it lacks compared to 'home.' And it does have a lot.

We don't do nearly as much as we could, mostly due to our old house (requiring work) and our work life, but that's our personal choice. Our friends are out nearly every night of the week at art openings, theatre events, local concerts, you name it. I get exhausted just hearing of their activities.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 AM

452 posts, read 1,032,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Sorry, I don't have to be from Florida to understand when someone is too dense to realize that there is no beach within 150 miles of SA on which to run around in a bikini all day.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,449,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm from Southern California, and I'd argue our beaches surpass Florida's pretty well. ("our" = California, not Texas....agree Texas beaches leave a lot to be desired. But you don't move to San Antonio for the beach)

As for the OP, beach volleyball with waves crashing will be hard to find, but there is plenty of competitive sand volleyball around. Most important thing is to embrace SA for what it has to offer, rather than for what it lacks compared to 'home.' And it does have a lot.

We don't do nearly as much as we could, mostly due to our old house (requiring work) and our work life, but that's our personal choice. Our friends are out nearly every night of the week at art openings, theatre events, local concerts, you name it. I get exhausted just hearing of their activities.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM

141 posts, read 511,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegWood View Post
I am making very good note of all this and thank you all for the help. Our preference is typially laid back bars with music or the more "upscale" if you will, dance clubs that provide bottle service and a what have you.
well, a good laid back place that i enjoy is Changos up I-10 heading to Boerne. It's a few miles up from the upscale area and shopping mall known as La Cantera (which also has some upscale watering holes). Changos is a bar that has live music usually both indoors and outdoors and a cigar store in the back. most of the crowd that i've seen is on average 25 or older, but a few young pups have slipped in i'm sure. i've never requested 'bottle service' cuz i'm just not that type of guy unless of course you count asking someone to help me throw away my empties... other than that all i can recommend is to stay away from clubs that are 18 and up, which is always a drag...(if that practice even exists anymore...) and unfortunately the ghetto can show up anywhere and at anytime without expectation...much like the Spanish Inquisition.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 AM

284 posts, read 763,106 times
After 20 years - I'm getting OUT of here, Thank God. Oh, I had all of "the" connections, and it didn't make it any better. SA just isn't wired for people who want something beyond suburban or tourist. The Hill Country? PLEASE. There ARE cool things to do in Austin - lived there for a year, but my job brought me back HERE. Good luck. I'm headed back East.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 AM

284 posts, read 763,106 times
And people, please, stop demeaning others for "daring" to dislike SA. The implication that the critic has shortcomings for not worshiping South Texas, is ludicrous. I TRIED to make it here, and explore (blah, blah, blah), but no success. Plus, every friend I've had, who has moved here from a more culturally developed city, has FLED within a few years.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,791,149 times
We won't weep for you. Bon voyage.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,170,984 times
Well, here's hoping East TN is the answer to your prayers.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,791,149 times
East TN, seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio