Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 13,550 times

Advertisements

I am a full-time church planter but a novice and would like to find other house churches in existence here to get insight and to discuss getting back to 1st Century house church style and practice. This has been the most exciting thing I have ever done but I am often overwhelmed with trying to put new wine into old wineskins....ME! I am praying for partners in the faith who are bold and visionary disciples of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times
Can you explain what a house church is. And how you plant them?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Can you explain what a house church is. And how you plant them?
A house church is simply a new start up church that is small that for lack of a regular church building - meets in someone's house for worship and teaching time.

About 20 years ago my dad and some other men helped start a church in Columbus Georgia - it started in our living room. It is now a thriving church with a regular church building. Churches have to start somewhere. As far as planting them goes...often the house that they start meeting in is in a certain part of town that is the desired location of the church. You "Plant" the church where you want it to grow.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM

472 posts, read 1,793,129 times
How much profit can you make?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
A house church is simply a new start up church that is small that for lack of a regular church building - meets in someone's house for worship and teaching time.

About 20 years ago my dad and some other men helped start a church in Columbus Georgia - it started in our living room. It is now a thriving church with a regular church building. Churches have to start somewhere. As far as planting them goes...often the house that they start meeting in is in a certain part of town that is the desired location of the church. You "Plant" the church where you want it to grow.
I understand the concept of starting "church organizations" in someone's home. I think most people know that churches have to start somewhere.

However, I didn't get the impression that is what the OP was meaning. He mentioned going BACK to 1ST CENTURY house style worship, so that doesn't sound like the intent is to build a thriving church as you experienced. Since he hasn't been back, it seems he's off planting elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I understand the concept of starting "church organizations" in someone's home. I think most people know that churches have to start somewhere.

However, I didn't get the impression that is what the OP was meaning. He mentioned going BACK to 1ST CENTURY house style worship, so that doesn't sound like the intent is to build a thriving church as you experienced. Since he hasn't been back, it seems he's off planting elsewhere.
Gotcha. Sorry - from your original question I thought you were asking what a house church is...

Not sure what he is inquiring as to a 1st centruy house style worship. Maybe the OP could elaborate on what he is looking for.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM

338 posts, read 1,230,901 times
Welcome to Iglesia Bautista Nuevas Fuerzas | San Antonio, TX

Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM

No problemo Banker.

PRM...thanks for that link. Nice web site for this church. Are most house/home style churches Baptist?

It would be nice if the OP would come back since he was so passionate about this topic. Christian doctrine in general talks about the "church" as being the "people", not necessarily the bricks and mortar building, so I'm assuming that is what he was referring to from the 1st century style of worship. Is that what this particular church follows? Do they use that terminology at all? I've just never heard it put that way formally.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,895 times
I've heard a lot about house churches lately. This site was helpful in explaining their cause: House Church Central

Maybe the OP could use it for info on starting one/some in SA

Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
How much profit can you make?
Churches shouldn't be about making a profit...they are officially designated not for profit organizations with the IRS. You can take in more than you spend...but that shouldn't be the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio