Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 AM

26 posts, read 113,533 times

Advertisements

Given the consensus on the schools is relatively to the NISD and NEISD, in one's opinion, what are the best elementary schools in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,134,612 times
I would JISD....Well because it has a very good diversity, well when i went to high school....that ended in 2001...with a 37% white 35% hispanic and 28% black population. We had over 4200 kids there on three different locations if you counted the Pac building. Since then another high school has opened along with a new middle school and three elementraies. It has sports large amount of course that other school districts cant have because the have to much on its plate. SAISD schools have to deal with inner city issues...while some of the South Isd's have lack of funds due to other issues. NSISD seems to a problem with peeping toms in school or i should say around there younger kids....while NEISD has had some run in with student and teacher relations. Well JISD has its draw backs as well seeing that they care too much about football. I say do your own research.....factor in number of schools/teachers....diversity....school income....property taxes....traffic time during school hours....etc.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I think "avoid" is the wrong word to use. I was a SAISD student (grad of Highlands High) and I have a well paying job and I enjoyed my SAISD experience growing up. I'm 22 by the way so my experience was fairly recent.

The bottom line is SAISD serves most of the poorer areas of San Antonio (inner city areas on the west, east, and south sides.) and therefore lacks the funding the weathlier districts get. This in turn means less pay for teachers, less money for school bonds, etc. Schools suffer and sometimes students as well.

I'd have no problem enrolling my children (if I had any) into an SAISD school, however, given the choice between NISD or NEISD and SAISD, I'd choose one of the N's.
I understand your feeling towards the word "Avoid". My thought process at the time, was to get to the point right away and not fish around for a friendly term to describe the schools. In our area up here, raising a family with a certain lifestyle, you would really like to know rather quickly the areas to shy away from and the areas to investigate. That was all.
Thanks for understanding.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 AM

14 posts, read 63,468 times
The Newsweek article on the top 1,000 U.S. High Schools lists several in the SA area:

Boerne HS - #419
Brackenridge HS -#424
Health Careers HS (NISD) -#439
Alamo Heights HS -#497
Clark HS - #690
Theodore Roosevelt -#1003

There are also a few others in the top of the list near SA including San Marcos, Dripping Springs, and New Braunfels.

I can speak for Clark HS - some of the teachers are very highly regarded and have won national recognition. The kids are challenged and take college level courses as early as 9th grade if they are ready. Many students graduate with a full year of college out of the way, tuition free.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,253,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen10362 View Post
Brackenridge HS -#424
An SAISD high school.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The Newsweek article on the top 1,000 U.S. High Schools lists several in the SA area:

Boerne HS - #419
Brackenridge HS -#424
Alamo Heights HS -#497
Clark HS - #690

There are also a few others in the top of the list near SA including San Marcos, Dripping Springs, and New Braunfels.

I can speak for Clark HS - some of the teachers are very highly regarded and have won national recognition. The kids are challenged and take college level courses as early as 9th grade if they are ready. Many students graduate with a full year of college out of the way, tuition free.
Thanks Karen!
Those HS are great, but does your article mention anything about elementary and middle schools in SA. The HS is just too far to be thinking about at the moment.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 63,468 times
Sorry, no it doesn't. I'd take a look at the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) scores for each elementary school in the area you are interested in. The scores are a pretty fair indication of the caliber of students in the school. For example, in the high school levels, Health Careers High School in NISD has the highest scores in the area. They are also in the top high school rankins as listed previously, and I know there are many pre-med students that attend that school. You can also compare the TAKS scores of our elementary schools to those in your area to get a good idea.

Here is a great site to use, but you have to subscribe to get the latest results: Texas Public School Rankings.

Anyone know of a better website for TAKS results?

Hope this helps...
Karen. :-)

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM

957 posts, read 3,355,707 times
Quote:
Sorry, no it doesn't. I'd take a look at the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) scores for each elementary school in the area you are interested in. The scores are a pretty fair indication of the caliber of students in the school. For example, in the high school levels, Health Careers High School in NISD has the highest scores in the area. They are also in the top high school rankins as listed previously, and I know there are many pre-med students that attend that school. You can also compare the TAKS scores of our elementary schools to those in your area to get a good idea.

Here is a great site to use, but you have to subscribe to get the latest results: Texas Public School Rankings.

Anyone know of a better website for TAKS results?

Hope this helps...
Karen. :-)
I don't know of a better site, but that is a good recommendation. I went to all schools in the Judson district and was very happy there. My son is now a student at a NISD elementary school and it has its ups and downs. The school is okay but whenever our child is in need of additional assitance there is never any funding or resources. I learned that from personal experience with my own son. You just sometimes don't realize there are flaws in the system until you need help.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,023,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
In my opinion, this is how area school districts rank.

The Best
Boerne ISD
Comal ISD
SCUC ISD
New Braunfels ISD
ECISD
NEISD
NISD

The Alright
Judson ISD
SWISD

The Not So Great

SAISD
Edgewood ISD
Harlandale ISD
South San ISD
Quote:

Boerne HS - #419
Brackenridge HS -#424
Alamo Heights HS -#497
Clark HS - #690

This is some really good info! Just curious though...what about Helotes? I see on bestschools.net they rank rather well, does anyone have any personal experience? Also, do the schools in these areas have programs to help kids catch up that come from a pretty BAD school system?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 PM

217 posts, read 1,760,474 times
I am moving to and want to the northwest side and want to know the best schools. We are coming from Kingsville and my kids had a bad experience with being of a different race. Kingsville is mostly hispanic. We were thinking about moving going to the Comel ISD New Branufels area but it will be very far from hubbys job. We have not purchased the house yet so we are still trying to find the good schools and a good builder or location to live. He will be working near the Texas Research Park any suggestions. Also do anyone know of good private schools/christian schools in NW area??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio