Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,675,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Thanks for checking the place out....no, now involved with the HOA, but served fora couple years with the Covenants committee. Was back when, as you pointed out, the common areas were kept as well as we expected the yards to be kept.

About your post on the medians and the road dividers up near Potranco, I could not agree more.

We had always heard that the main reason Westcreek had not been annexed was because of the continued building that would have set the city up for the expenses of the roads, services, etc. That once Westcreek was completed, it would become any instant tax revenue base. Any thoughts on that one with this final sections beginning building?
As of 2006, Westcreek was not on San Antonio's annexation list. They are busy getting areas on the north and south sides. I bet the Alamo Ranch Market Place will be on their annexation radar once it is complete in 2008. I believe that it is now a 3-year process for involuntary annexation. Of course there are two sides to the annexation issue. On the plus side, we come under SA police and fire protection, though the city is really stretched on the fire protection side (see Express-News Sunday 3/11/07 issue). Getting street lights is another benefit. And finally, we would get cheaper water/sewer fees and trash collection would definitely be cheaper (rates keep climbing with WM and BFI). Of course, the downside is higher property taxes. Here is SA's annexation plan map:

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...p_01_05_06.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM

173 posts, read 617,830 times
You raised a good point about fire protection. S.A. is simply NOT equipped to provide adequate response time for fire calls! I hope if WC is annexed the city will enter into an agreement w/ the Geronimo Village Fire Dept.
They have a paid staff as well as volunteers and they do an excellent job currently providing EMS and fire protection!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,464,466 times
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!! The Geronimo village fire dept has served this community EXCELLENTLY since we moved in in 1994...and I am sure even before that!

I had a single incident where I needed to call for 911, my 80 yr old mom had suffered 3 strokes and an MI and we had just gotten her out of the hospital from the last stroke. She was not feeling well, was unable to get up with help or follow directions...I called 911. I had 4 different folks from GVFD at my house in less than 4 minutes...and they were all working her up, taking vitals and reviewing her meds within a minute of arrival. It turned out to be a scare (B/P had dropped due to new med ajustments) and she was ok, but they stayed a good 30 minutes to ensure that she was alright after she decided not to go to the hospital in the ambulance. We STRONGLY support the GVFD despite the fact that insurance companies seem to think that we are at a disadvantage NOT having city coverage. From what I have read (like you mentioned, slow response times within city limits) and what I have experienced (folks that belong to GVFD that live in WC rushing to our assistance as soon as the call was put out from their homes) I am VERY happy to know that I can rely on the GVFD!

I remember an incident in 96 when we heard a helicopter LANDING early one morning right here in an open field....seems someone had had a major MI getting ready for work and once the call was made... the Capt of GVFD (at the time anyway) lived in WC. He ran right over, assessed and had the authority to call for AirLife. I was told (not knowing the patient) that it had been said that the only reason he survived was because of the quick call for Airlife assist...and that had he been in the city limits the initial responder would not have had the authority to request Airlife.

We again, CHOOSE to live in Westcreek! We love the place, and own another home in the medical center and CHOOSE to live here vs there. I don't want anyone considering moving to Westcreek to think that those of us that live here would not buy here if we were currently in the market...for us that is NOT true. However, I DO believe that WC, as with ANY area that has the growth and development that we do, needs to be concerned that things are not allowed to slide. That is why we so appreciate the covenants that we agreed to AND those that serve the community to ensure that others comply. The growth in WC has been unbelieveable and I, for one, will be glad when it is completed and we can settle back from all this growth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
You raised a good point about fire protection. S.A. is simply NOT equipped to provide adequate response time for fire calls! I hope if WC is annexed the city will enter into an agreement w/ the Geronimo Village Fire Dept.
They have a paid staff as well as volunteers and they do an excellent job currently providing EMS and fire protection!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,158,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
The Geronimo village fire dept has served this community EXCELLENTLY since we moved in in 1994...and I am sure even before that!
You're absolutely correct, Paka, they've done a great job for years! We initially moved to the area in '71-'72 and my father was in the group of the first volunteers for what was then known as the Geronimo Village Volunteer Fire Dept. I remember, as a little boy, when he would get phone calls at all hours of the day and night and Dad would rush out to help others put out a large grass fire or a fire at someone's house. They also used to have a great bbq dinner that helped to raise funds for equipment...maybe it's still occurring each year?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:29 PM

OK, I took a look at the home Paka mentioned in WC. I agree that the addition looks cheap and tacky. However, at least it isn't as noticable as I thought it would be. If I hadn't been alerted to it I don't think I would have noticed it.

That being said, I DO also agree that the WC HOA should NOT have let this happen. Now that it is already built I don't know if they can do anything about it.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 AM

144 posts, read 687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Unfortunately yes. But the houses definitely are better than the Rustic Oaks built by Centex. However, those little islands built into two of the roads are so stupid! The worst one is on the road nearest to Talley. It is only about 6 feet long with a sign to go around on both ends. I wish the HOA would make someone take it town and re-do the road.
Yes they are even though Rustic Oaks is NOt part of Westcreek, The island are the New alternatives for speed bumps.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 AM

422 posts, read 1,451,257 times
That addition is truly an eyesore! I could have done a better job, and I don't even own a saw! This will be a true test on where the HOA stands. They talk the talk, now will they walk the walk?

In my 6 years in the neighborhood, not once have I had an issue. I enjoy my neighbors, and the elementary school has been nothing but a pleasant experience for my kids.

I've driven through many neighborhoods around the city, and for as much wooden fencing in Westcreek, it's amazing to see no graffiti.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:23 PM

I wasn't sure if Rustic Oaks was part of westcreek or not. Considering where it is located, it makes it hard to tell. Too bad the WC developers couldn't have done a better job to keep WC truly separate from other subdivisions. I say this because if Rustic Oaks, Caracol Creek, and Caracol Heights don't have decent HOA's there may be issues in the future where WC property values are negatively affected if those neighborhoods take a downturn.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
I wasn't sure if Rustic Oaks was part of westcreek or not. Considering where it is located, it makes it hard to tell. Too bad the WC developers couldn't have done a better job to keep WC truly separate from other subdivisions. I say this because if Rustic Oaks, Caracol Creek, and Caracol Heights don't have decent HOA's there may be issues in the future where WC property values are negatively affected if those neighborhoods take a downturn.
Those three areas and the apartments on Loop 1604 are the reason why we have to have an ID card now to go the recreation areas. If you're going to the park, don't leave home without it, of if checked, you will have to leave.
I don't know about their HOA's, but I would say that the Caracol one is OK as they put a small park in their area and the area as a whole looks OK.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
That addition is truly an eyesore! I could have done a better job, and I don't even own a saw! This will be a true test on where the HOA stands. They talk the talk, now will they walk the walk?

In my 6 years in the neighborhood, not once have I had an issue. I enjoy my neighbors, and the elementary school has been nothing but a pleasant experience for my kids.

I've driven through many neighborhoods around the city, and for as much wooden fencing in Westcreek, it's amazing to see no graffiti.
I saw graffiti once on a fence along Military Drive West, but it was gone by the next day. I have also noticed that some of the cement structure on the bridge (same road) has gray painted over, so it must have been graffiti. It seems the fences get more cars going through them than graffiti. I have seen three fence "punctures" so far (two in about a year with the latest one not too far from the park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio