Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,681,877 times

Advertisements

Well, I have lived in Westcreek for six years now and have been through the area many times years before that. First of all, the HOA has two different entities to help run the place. The first group consists of paid management personnel. The Manager, Assistant Manager, Architectural Compliance Manager, two secretaries, and I believe there are several code compliance people and a Park Maintenance person. A couple of years ago the salaries were running $150,000 a year, but it can be higher now. As you know, besides the 18-acre sports park with pool, there is now a second 25-acre recreation park with a pool and clubhouse. The people that run the association are pretty nice and will work with you. However, dues are a must. They have relaxed their rules a little on landscaping (planting etc.) and as long as you present a plan before the Architectural Board for approval you can add home additions and sheds, etc. The other side of the association is the volunteer Board of Directors: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Member at Large. All board members are resident homeowners and address the following issues:

management concerns
residents' issues
community improvement
common property maintenance
financial standing of the Association
committee activities

When all the building is completed, there should be more than 3,200 homes in this association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 AM

173 posts, read 618,297 times
Hey Steel Man, I've read some of your other posts and it sure seems like you really know a lot about this area. Since you have been a resident of Westcreek for a while, I'd like to get your thoughts on the area in general as well as your thoughts on how WC will fair in the future. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 AM

314 posts, read 2,541,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
besides the 18-acre sports park with pool, there is now a second 25-acre recreation park with a pool and clubhouse.
Are you sure the rec. park is bigger than the sports park? If so, how far back does it go? And are they planning to put in a better playground. The Sports Park playground needs some help. Also, $150,000 seams REALLY HIGH!!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
Hey Steel Man, I've read some of your other posts and it sure seems like you really know a lot about this area. Since you have been a resident of Westcreek for a while, I'd like to get your thoughts on the area in general as well as your thoughts on how WC will fair in the future. Thanks!
The older parts of Westcreek are starting to show their age. Houses and yards are not as nice as they were about 10 years ago. This could be due to older folks trying to keep up with the upkeep and younger folks not placing as much importance on this. The newer houses toward the back are still in good shape. Interesting, that the Centex homes (Vistas of Westcreek) have lots of rental signs and the yards have big weeds in front. I believe rental homes are the most damaging aspect to Westcreek as the renters are sometimes lax at keeping them up or the homes sit empty for several months. The builders sold too many homes to investors and unless they are sold off, can lead to more headaches for the association down the road. Overall, WC is still a nice place and should remain that way as long as the HOA remains strong. You have Oakcreek across Loop 1604 to see what can happen otherwise.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
Are you sure the rec. park is bigger than the sports park? If so, how far back does it go? And are they planning to put in a better playground. The Sports Park playground needs some help. Also, $150,000 seams REALLY HIGH!!
The Sports Park is 18 acres (you can check on BCAD.org). The other 25 acres is supposed to be developed into a hiking trails/picnic area.
That amount was three years ago, it could be higher now. I am pretty sure you can go to the office and ask to look at the annual budget. Three years ago they published it at the annual meeting and last year they did not. Not sure about this year, as I couldn't get to the meeting (working).

Old 03-16-2007, 01:09 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,563,782 times
Quote:
You have Oakcreek across Loop 1604 to see what can happen otherwise.
Yep (emabarrassed Oak Creek resident here)

Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 PM

173 posts, read 618,297 times
Thanks for all the great info. We are actually looking to buy in the older part of WC since I like the idea of having mature trees and landscaping already in place. I think we'll be as involved as possible w/ the HOA.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Yep (embarrassed Oak Creek resident here)
Sorry about that jules07. I like a lot of the houses in Oakcreek, it's just the old recreation area that is the big eyesore. They filled in pool with dirt and then put a fence around it. Why don't they sell that land and put a Valero or something like that in its place?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,563,782 times
Wink No problem Steel Man

Quote:
Sorry about that jules07. I like a lot of the houses in Oakcreek, it's just the old recreation area that is the big eyesore. They filled in pool with dirt and then put a fence around it. Why don't they sell that land and put a Valero or something like that in its place?
I actually talked to the HOA president about it about a year or so ago. Apparently when this neighborhood was first developed (almost 30 years ago), the developer gave it to the neighborhood with some type of stipulation that it could never be sold. I truly don't know the specifics. Most of the people in the neighborhood seem to not want to have to pay for amenities. My big gripe is that since the HOA is "optional", folks don't seem to care about following the deed restrictions (which are minimal) and there just isn't much in the way of reserves to even improve the entrances, park, etc. We're in the "old" section, so most of the lots are large (1/2-3/4 acre) with some kinda cool older ranch house looks (with the exception of the newer Ellison homes that are mixed in). If we could just get everybody to really care about the neighborhood. AND get the darned Day Care parents to stop speeding down Copperfield when they shortcut thru! You'd think parents would realize there might be kids out playing.

All you guys in Westcreek - stay active on your HOA board! That's your best insurance to keeping your 'hood nice!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,474,727 times
We built in Westcreek in 1994. We have moved (overseas) several times since then but always kept this house. We are currently back living here (altho we do own another home in SA that we currently rent out). We LIKE the Westcreek are a lot. There are huge advantages to living here for someone working at Lackland AFB or this area. I think a lot of homes here get rented for the same reasons that WE rented our homes...then intent to return for military folks.

I can not speak to the newer portions (those across the bridge area from the MAIN area of Westcreek) but I think that you will find that most of the homes for rent on this side is because of the home owners pleasure with the area and intent on keeping the home to return at some point.

I personally feel that the HOA is not what it use to be. They seem to have no teeth in correcting GLARING violations. Perfect example is there is a home in "The Point" just before you hit the 4 way stop on Military at the intersection of Westcreek Oaks. It is the 2nd or 3rd house from the enterance to the Pointe, with it back yard facing Military. It is a pukey yellow/beige color that these folks have literally built a "lean too" addition that is visable from Military. It is NOT "finished" (as per HOA standards with facia boards on the overhang) is a different color than the house (bad attempt to match) and has A/C units (2) hanging out of them. When I went to the sports park to ask HOW this could have been done, they said "oh we are working the issue...we have sent the a letter and can not discuss the case"...besides this is a "new" issue. Well, I suppose NEW is a matter of how bothered you are by it because it is have there several (greater than 6) months now and I personally DON'T find that to be "new" issue being handled properly. Funny, but after living here for almost 14 years, this is the ONLY issue that has made the hair on the back of my neck stand up enough that I actually VOICED my complaints of non-compliance, and they can't address it (and act like I am the first one that has an issue with it)!!!!

And to think that when I added my patio I HAD to put matching roof tiles to my homes roof ON that patio cover, even tho NOONE can see the top of my patio roof from ANY angle without getting up on a ladder to view it...all to "meet the code requirements of my HOA agreement".

IF they can put a lein on your home for non-payment of HOA fees, WHY can't they successfully persue someone that has but a glorified cardboard box addition that GLARES at you driving in on the main enterance of the subdivison ????? I would LOVE to hear what they are doing or intend to do about this! This from the HOA that will ticket you if you leave your garbage can at the curb beyond 5pm on garbage day???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio