Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,448,467 times

Advertisements

This is why many of us post threads, to help out the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,563,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
...of course, there are the various farmer's markets held around town.

You can also check here for farms which sell through the CSA program. It's a pity that regulation has removed consumer access from farms and dairy's. While it's not impossible for them to sell directly, it is cost prohibitive due to criteria which covers everything from the facility to the roads. Selling raw milk requires a state license.

There's a good reason for that. When it comes to milk/dairy, raw isn't necessarily healthier. Listeria is a very real problem in dairy, and quite dangerous to pregnant women and young children.

I'm all about organic/natural choices, and I eat street food, but I'll take my milk pasteurized, unless I can certify it's listeria-free.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 AM

707 posts, read 1,847,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
You know, I've lived in SA since 2002 and I just now learned that Handy Andy is a grocery store thanks to this thread.
That makes me feel so much better! LOL

Thanks for all of these cool links, everyone. I am bookmarking them.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,563,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
You know, I've lived in SA since 2002 and I just now learned that Handy Andy is a grocery store thanks to this thread.
DOn't feel bad, I wouldn't have known either except there was one just down the street when I moved into this neighborhood. Unfortunately, it closed. Wasn't the best store, but sure was convenient to walk for quick items. Always an interesting mix of people too: well dressed King William types, homeless, and everything in between.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM

174 posts, read 505,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
There's a good reason for that. When it comes to milk/dairy, raw isn't necessarily healthier. Listeria is a very real problem in dairy, and quite dangerous to pregnant women and young children.

I'm all about organic/natural choices, and I eat street food, but I'll take my milk pasteurized, unless I can certify it's listeria-free.
Yeah, but I would rather make an educated decision than have the government legislate that decision away from me.

Most people who have an intolerance to milk products wouldn't have a problem drinking unpasteurized milk. My grandfather raised his own cattle, but once he got too old, he purchased from a dairy who sold it to him as "not for human consumption". That is, until they were under too much pressure to continue for fear of legal repercussions. He was never able to drink milk again because of an intolerance to pasteurized milk. Unpasteurized milk contains all the necessary enzymes to properly digest the lactose.

One of the few licensed dairies in Texas is a major seller to Borden's. To buy it raw, you have to purchase a large enough order and meet them at a location. There's a co-op here where the members take turns being responsible for the distribution of the order.

I grew up on fresh milk and real butter. It's very different and many would probably not like it. As it is, I can't stand pasteurized milk and don't drink it ever.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

My husband grew up drinking raw milk and skimming off the cream to make butter. But he drinks the pasteurized stuff, he pretty much likes anything! I've never had raw milk, though I am not averse to trying it, it's just that it is so expensive and you have to look for it.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM

-> I just wish Waitz Model Market was still around.

I used to fill my grocery cart with produce for $20. I had a friend go up to Fredericksburg to get peaches. They paid a mint for a bushel and they were as hard as a rock. When they came over, I had bags of fresh Fredericksburg peaches, all ripe as could be. I paid 59 cents a pound for them. I haven't had an apricot with any flavor since their demise.

I could call ahead and have specialty cuts ready for me at the butcher's. Their potato rolls were exemplarary. Once I locked my keys in my truck and the manager gave me a ride home to get an extra set. THIS is what I miss about what San Antonio was.......

(I'll even settle for a Piggly Wiggly with watermelons lining the entirety of the produce section floors.)

Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Piggly Wiggly...now THAT brings back memories! ROFL

Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
The store was scheduled to close at the end of November. The founder of the company then stepped in, offering to purchase the stores himself. The problem with the Texas division is the location of the central distributing center; there is only one for Texas. I read there was some question of conflict of interest since he remains president of the company, but apparently they worked that out because he is now the private owner of this division.
Well, looks like I stand corrected. Both my wife and I recall reading that Dave Gold was now the owner of this division, but that information was incorrect.

The article at http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2009/02/02/daily25.html states that in the end, his bid to purchase was rejected, but he is overseeing the market. Some stores are due to be closed, they're currently evaluating their individual profitability.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM

22 posts, read 115,801 times
I'm from the East Coast and really wish there was a Food Lion, Farm Fresh or Kroger here. I miss getting fresh seafood from Farm Fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio