Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,589,404 times

Advertisements

I have seen very little organic produce (@ Chicho's), unfortunately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,323,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I have seen very little organic produce (@ Chicho's), unfortunately...
ah no worries! will work for us in a pinch! thanks so much!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 AM

18,257 posts, read 14,512,339 times
As much as I would recommend the 99 cents store, the reality is that the whole chain is going out of business in Texas. The corporate bigwigs decided that Texas wasnt making them any richer. The news came about 2 months ago, so if you can, take advantage of any specials before they close.
If thrifty is your thing, there is also the Dollar Tree and the Dollar General.
Dollar Tree sells everything for a dollar, so I go there often, and I dont visit Dollar General because its just not my bag of chips. Merchandise-wise.
I do feel bad the 99 cents store is closing, and I wish the bigwigs would reconsider.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:24 AM

174 posts, read 506,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
As much as I would recommend the 99 cents store, the reality is that the whole chain is going out of business in Texas. The corporate bigwigs decided that Texas wasnt making them any richer. The news came about 2 months ago, so if you can, take advantage of any specials before they close.
If thrifty is your thing, there is also the Dollar Tree and the Dollar General.
Dollar Tree sells everything for a dollar, so I go there often, and I dont visit Dollar General because its just not my bag of chips. Merchandise-wise.
I do feel bad the 99 cents store is closing, and I wish the bigwigs would reconsider.
The store was scheduled to close at the end of November. The founder of the company then stepped in, offering to purchase the stores himself. The problem with the Texas division is the location of the central distributing center; there is only one for Texas. I read there was some question of conflict of interest since he remains president of the company, but apparently they worked that out because he is now the private owner of this division.

Yeah, they made enough of an impact in my monthly food bill that I bothered to research it when I heard the news.

...and perticusrex, your in-laws are correct. I buy all my meat from La Fiesta. The stores may not be as pretty as some places, but the meat is superior in freshness. Their sale prices are often cheaper than comparable cuts at the commissary. If you're fond of lamb, you'll not find it for less.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:12 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,590,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Darn you Americans, need more than 5 "super" grocery stores to make you happy Lucky you aren't born in a 3rd world country where the only store is the one on 4 stilts with a tarp and wondering if the meat is fresh this time around.
Actually, I've worried less if the meat is fresh in such markets than in the US. In the street markets, the meat is usually extremely fresh, like just slaughtered.

I could do with less "super" stores and more just grocery options.

ANyway, Sun Harvest is good. Handy Andy and La Fiesta are pretty much limited to the south/west sides.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,589,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
..and perticusrex, your in-laws are correct. I buy all my meat from La Fiesta. The stores may not be as pretty as some places, but the meat is superior in freshness. Their sale prices are often cheaper than comparable cuts at the commissary. If you're fond of lamb, you'll not find it for less.
I have heard good things about Culebra Meat Markets, too.

Last edited by pobre; 02-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: made "tings" THINGS

Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,323,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I have heard good things about Culebra Meat Markets, too.
The Culebra Meat Market is just plain filthy. At least the one by my house is, Old Pearsall Rd/Sky Harbor. I have seen firsthand bugs, worms, roaches, expired food, and the meat is handled very poorly. I would not recommend anyone buy anything from this particular location. I went in there to pick up some chips for a party and was completely disgusted by the conditions.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,148,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
The Culebra Meat Market is just plain filthy. At least the one by my house is, Old Pearsall Rd/Sky Harbor. I have seen firsthand bugs, worms, roaches, expired food, and the meat is handled very poorly. I would not recommend anyone buy anything from this particular location. I went in there to pick up some chips for a party and was completely disgusted by the conditions.
I agree........I've never been happy with one. I won't recommend them, either.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 PM

174 posts, read 506,805 times
...of course, there are the various farmer's markets held around town.

You can also check here for farms which sell through the CSA program. It's a pity that regulation has removed consumer access from farms and dairy's. While it's not impossible for them to sell directly, it is cost prohibitive due to criteria which covers everything from the facility to the roads. Selling raw milk requires a state license.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,265,954 times
You know, I've lived in SA since 2002 and I just now learned that Handy Andy is a grocery store thanks to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio