Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 AM

103 posts, read 269,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
found something for you guys

i am building one of these for myself soon

i have an event tomorrow, but what i find funny is i always include my group as a whole. its members here who say i give no one else credit.
You need to go back and reread your posts. You do not always include your group as a whole. Most of your post refer to "me" or "I," rarely "we" or "us."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
personal attacks are nice, but so far i have proven i am a servant for the community. in fact you thank me for my service one week and then talk down on me the next. very honorable.

we were at port sa helping evacuees, we started in homeless shelter in my preteen years, we now have haven for hope which will cater to those homeless, elderly, and mentally ill all in one stop. most folks in prospect hill didnt want it, are they bad people because of that? nope its unfair to get it dumped on them.

"keep all the marbles" i give links to city govt, state govt, and i posted the link to the montana paint shop in the record thread from earlier this week. its all out there. i hide nothing.

mentoring other areas will be on our agenda as soon as we make a run for office in 2011.

i have also reached out to silvercreek for info and help, but after the first 2 DM's he never bothered contacting me again. one of those shops is in his area. all you had to do was message me instead of attacking me on the board like you always do. i have said i am an open book, but no one bothers taking the time to DM me any questions or concerns.

they only want to attack a good community volunteer in public forums to make them feel better. why bully me?
Q...you need to work on your approach and communication skills. Reading your posts is all about YOU. Seriously. You post a litany of what YOU do and it's a big turn off. I call things as I see them. Your community is to be commended....the PEOPLE and ALL the volunteers....yet you make it sound like it wouldn't happen without YOU.

I personally don't NEED to post a laundry list of everything I have done for the communities, churches, schools and neighborhood....along with other programs to help others. It's not important for anyone to know about ME. I probably have about 35 years on you and your "works", so don't try to win that fight. It's not giving anything when you elevate yourself and sing your own praises. I just see a bigger picture here.....taking what is working in YOUR area and Jason Mata's area and MY area and SC's area and sitting down and parking EGO's at the door. Nobody needs to bring anything to the table other than common goals and solutions.

And don't say no one responds to you...because you don't get responses by demanding people to do anything. I looked up Montana....and you didn't share the names of any "dealers" here. WHY would that be a big SECRET? It would be a HUGE community service to say that MONTANA is a graff supplier and this is where the citizen's watch groups need to focus. Like I said....the WEB site link you provided is MAIL ORDER ONLY. So show your cards and help other areas. If you can't do that, then you're only proving my point......you want the glory to being the greatest activist in town.

If your purpose here is to get your name out and get elected to whatever in 2011, then you're in serious violation of TOS rules. I would tread lightly with that agenda. You're just a little too quick name dropping here for political purposes.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,456,948 times
Quote:
how many people do you work for free for? we are a volunteer group. i never said we were huge, but we are sizeable and in one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. i understand all of your jealousy towards the PHNA accomplishments.

we are small, but caring for our piece of the pie. there is also the Nogalitos Zarzamora Coalition which encompasses the Collins Garden, Quintana, Stonewall, and 2 other community organizations. we are about 100,000 strong in that aspect and growing.

just doing some good
Quote:
message sent with address

bragging is "i am so great because i do this"

this is citydata, it is about helping your neighbors and helping those who cannot help themselves. i am giving you an example of what a bunch of volunteers can get done. i am not the only one, there are a few of us.

since day one, cd members have been on me when i give them a solution. it works for us, why dont you try it? we are poor, some uneducated, and others dont even speak english but we fight city hall for our piece of the pie. did you read our article in the newspaper for NNO? we were the only NA named from our district. did you catch us in La Prensa last weekend for awarding a lifetime achievement award? did you see the article in 210SA about us awarding a scholarship 2 months ago? now why cant others follow?

the greatest community organizer was saul alinsky and he was an exconvict. go read what he said about the middle class 50 years ago and compare it to today. it is eerie
Quote:
personal attacks are nice, but so far i have proven i am a servant for the community. in fact you thank me for my service one week and then talk down on me the next. very honorable.

we were at port sa helping evacuees, we started in homeless shelter in my preteen years, we now have haven for hope which will cater to those homeless, elderly, and mentally ill all in one stop. most folks in prospect hill didnt want it, are they bad people because of that? nope its unfair to get it dumped on them.

"keep all the marbles" i give links to city govt, state govt, and i posted the link to the montana paint shop in the record thread from earlier this week. its all out there. i hide nothing.

mentoring other areas will be on our agenda as soon as we make a run for office in 2011.

i have also reached out to silvercreek for info and help, but after the first 2 DM's he never bothered contacting me again. one of those shops is in his area. all you had to do was message me instead of attacking me on the board like you always do. i have said i am an open book, but no one bothers taking the time to DM me any questions or concerns.

they only want to attack a good community volunteer in public forums to make them feel better. why bully me?
Quote:
call jason pryor and ask him about our service to the area. call thomas barker who is head officer at code compliance about our commitments, call debbie barcenez at Neighborhood Resources and ask her about our area sweeps, call councilwoman lourdes galvan and ask about our services.

just like Communities Organized for Public Service, we are fighting back one community at a time. first mine to hone my craft, then my neighboring areas, and maybe one day an entire district. then from there the opportunities are endless, but you will hear about us.
Quote:
10,000 is a low number because we are in the process of allocating an area equal to ours from another neighborhood association that cannot handle their load. it is roughly the same, but it is more dense. i would say PHNA is about 15000 and another 15000 from the addition.

little pond it is not and you wont find many folks willing to take on more of a load in these times, but we dont have the advantages others have and must help everyone we can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTxTwistr View Post
You need to go back and reread your posts. You do not always include your group as a whole. Most of your post refer to "me" or "I," rarely "we" or "us."
a lot more "we" and "us" than "i" or "me" when i did use them it was because members here chose to personally attack me. go look for yourself

Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Q...you need to work on your approach and communication skills. Reading your posts is all about YOU. Seriously. You post a litany of what YOU do and it's a big turn off. I call things as I see them. Your community is to be commended....the PEOPLE and ALL the volunteers....yet you make it sound like it wouldn't happen without YOU.
really? read post above yours.

I personally don't NEED to post a laundry list of everything I have done for the communities, churches, schools and neighborhood....along with other programs to help others. It's not important for anyone to know about ME. I probably have about 35 years on you and your "works", so don't try to win that fight. It's not giving anything when you elevate yourself and sing your own praises. I just see a bigger picture here.....taking what is working in YOUR area and Jason Mata's area and MY area and SC's area and sitting down and parking EGO's at the door. Nobody needs to bring anything to the table other than common goals and solutions.
what fight? there is no fight, you made it about me when I spoke about the neighborhood groups activism.

its about US, rad post above again set up a date, i have offered plenty of times to meet with members here. if you dont get serious i will just continue with our plans and look for like-minded people who want to make a difference.

And don't say no one responds to you...because you don't get responses by demanding people to do anything. I looked up Montana....and you didn't share the names of any "dealers" here. WHY would that be a big SECRET? It would be a HUGE community service to say that MONTANA is a graff supplier and this is where the citizen's watch groups need to focus. Like I said....the WEB site link you provided is MAIL ORDER ONLY. So show your cards and help other areas. If you can't do that, then you're only proving my point......you want the glory to being the greatest activist in town.
i posted the link to the shop. i went back to realize it was deleted. not my fault, dm me and you can have it. its not like i never put it out there. i showed my cards, but was censored.

when did i provide a website link for montana paint? i told you to google it

If your purpose here is to get your name out and get elected to whatever in 2011, then you're in serious violation of TOS rules. I would tread lightly with that agenda. You're just a little too quick name dropping here for political purposes.
get my name out there? what are you talking about? we are a community organization and we will support the best candidate from the area at the time. we work in unison, but members here cannot seem to see that.
all there

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 AM

103 posts, read 269,659 times
Quote:
a lot more "we" and "us" than "i" or "me" when i did use them it was because members here chose to personally attack me. go look for yourself
I guess those of us who have seen your posts don't know how to read then. I know I'm not the only one who has taken note of the fact that you tend to blow your own horn more often than not.

I'm sure you went searching for posts where you did use "we," but I'm also willing to bet you had to wade through many more where you didn't.

As wCat says, maybe you do have a political agenda. The constant name-dropping and all the one-upping makes that all the more evident...makes you sound just like a politician.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:13 AM

Q.....here's a little hint for you. Don't take offense or assume no one cares if they don't contact you.
#1....you are way too forceful in your approach. volunteers are there on their good graces. They don't need ramrodding. They are generally eager to help, or already involved in their own community and don't NEED your help. THAT is where your ego comes in. You project your works as if no one here has a clue to what community service is. It's offensive to people who have maturity and more so a LOT of years of experience working hard for various projects. Don't assume that everyone here NEEDS YOUR help!

2#....it's apparent that some don't agree with your idea of removing graffiti for one thing. YOU said it yourself that YOU decide if graffiti should stay up or not. I find that arrogant and self aggrandizing. I disagree with your ideology of approaching taggers....ie, not doing anything if it's not in your areas BYLAWS. The fact is....we share this CITY....not just your piece of the pie. If I were standing next to you looking at what you call "art" and what I call CRIMINAL, you can bet you last dollar that I will have a paint roller in hand and start painting over it whether you like it or not! So don't whine about no one wanting to contact you. Understand that your way is NOT necessarily the RIGHT way.....and some may not want to play by YOUR rule book. Does that make sense?

My guess is that graffiti may only be one area where we part way on how to prevent it.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 AM

both of you got owned, simple as that. both put words in my mouth. those posts were from the last two pages. I have used "I" mostly in context to personal attacks.

go back and read them, it is true. i am tooting my community's horn for a job well done. without my family, gloria salinas, the montez', and thomas herrera this stuff wouldnt go down for us. the montez' have been part of the community since the 50's when white residents would burn crosses in their front yard. they still ive on elmo street to this day.

no political agenda, just demanding our fair share. i can sit you down with the group of women that reformed SA politics as a whole in the 70's they forced the city to redistrict, built schools, colleges, libraries, and brought politicians like cisneros to their knees and crying/kicking walls on the news.

politicians work for themselves, we work for the people. there is a difference. they lobby for their own money while students like myself gave up fulltime work to live on $100 a week after my bills are paid because i was tired of seeing our votes wasted on politicians.

but if you can educate the public and force politicians to work for your communities they cannot do anything but service the communities needs. so when members here attack me for not giving more to the city, i ask them why we as a district get less funding, yet are more dense than other areas. we have to fight for our areas before we can service other areas because if we dont do it, who else will?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTxTwistr View Post
I guess those of us who have seen your posts don't know how to read then. I know I'm not the only one who has taken note of the fact that you tend to blow your own horn more often than not.

I'm sure you went searching for posts where you did use "we," but I'm also willing to bet you had to wade through many more where you didn't.

As wCat says, maybe you do have a political agenda. The constant name-dropping and all the one-upping makes that all the more evident...makes you sound just like a politician.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 AM

you got owned, pretty simple. just put a smile on your face and lets move on.

i cannot post the link again because it is against ToS, did you read above? do you purposely want to get me in trouble? DM me if you want that info.

i didnt say you NEED my help, i have always offered and if members dont need it it is fine, but dont come on here attacking me for not reaching out or offering a solution. i gave an olive branch, if you dont reciprocate that is on you not me. i am not hurt. community organizing is in our blood. all the way from my grandmother the Raza unida founding members here in SA, my grandfather the founding member of the MALDEF in SA, and my uncle willie velazquez.

i wouldnt stop you from removing graffiti in your area or mine. if it needs to come down it would. if i was standing next to you and i would assist. we are a forceful group and have strong members. we do not need weak members to begin with.

all i am hearing from you now is your accomnplishments and speaking for others. why bother? is that not what you supposedly dislike about me?

your way is not necessarily the right way either, so why are you having a heart attack about it?

now go back in this thread and show me how egotistical we are?
Quote:
Q.....here's a little hint for you. Don't take offense or assume no one cares if they don't contact you.
#1....you are way too forceful in your approach. volunteers are there on their good graces. They don't need ramrodding. They are generally eager to help, or already involved in their own community and don't NEED your help. THAT is where your ego comes in. You project your works as if no one here has a clue to what community service is. It's offensive to people who have maturity and more so a LOT of years of experience working hard for various projects. Don't assume that everyone here NEEDS YOUR help!

2#....it's apparent that some don't agree with your idea of removing graffiti for one thing. YOU said it yourself that YOU decide if graffiti should stay up or not. I find that arrogant and self aggrandizing. I disagree with your ideology of approaching taggers....ie, not doing anything if it's not in your areas BYLAWS. The fact is....we share this CITY....not just your piece of the pie. If I were standing next to you looking at what you call "art" and what I call CRIMINAL, you can bet you last dollar that I will have a paint roller in hand and start painting over it whether you like it or not! So don't whine about no one wanting to contact you. Understand that your way is NOT necessarily the RIGHT way.....and some may not want to play by YOUR rule book. Does that make sense?

My guess is that graffiti may only be one area where we part way on how to prevent it.
people dislike in others what they see in themselves

the ball is in your court, you want to better the entire city and have an open forum in person I am all for it, but dont say it, do it.
i can leave whatever preconcieved notions we have of each other to help everyone as a whole. i will bring all of the presidents and vp's of the organizations from my area too. we can all work towards a solution, but dont single me out because you are only doing what you claim to see in me. we can get together to work out the details for tagging issues in all areas, but pitting your years of service against mine sounds a bit jealous and self righteous at the same time.

lets all work together. name the time and place or i can set something up, but the commitment needs to be there.

Last edited by quest51210; 10-18-2008 at 01:33 AM..

Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
But what if you live outside the city limits, and the walmarts within 5 miles in 3-4 directions all sell spray paint?
ban all walmarts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Jail time and suspending all driving privileges is great!! Don't see a need for a tax on aerosol cans though! Yes, they're supposed to be locked up. I'm sure a lot of the kids tell mom or dad they want to paint their bike etc. Many probably steal their paint! Better way to deal with these little vandals......
"Tar and Feathers"
that's a good one, but make sure it's public
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
City Council wants to get tougher with taggers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/City_Council_wants_to_get_tougher_with_taggers.htm l - broken link)

This is encouraging. I think some others on here would have better ideas for dealing with these punks, but at least they're bringing attention to the epidemic.
I think some of the "other" plans are better personally..
Quote:
I thought you were "mentoring" kids. If you are seeing them, why are you not over there grabbing them by the collar and jerking a knot in their tail instead of watching juves of every color and race walk by and deface more property?

Their parents might be thinking it's for "art" class because of these "reformed" graffiti artists out there making a living after learning their craft vandalizing property. What a great role model for these wannabe thugs/artists! They look up to those who got "community service" in "art schools" after destroying property! Yes....that's a much better plan!
we call this a self licking ice cream cone where I work. Being a part of both the problem and the solution never works.
Quote:
google montana paint, then look for delaers in the area.

i am not the one that has a problem with tagging. never even started a thread about it. so that is no surprise to anyone here. in fact i am a founding member of the biggest Graffiti Art festival in the world which used to be hosted here. quite a few members here know that.
I saw a lot of companies that need to be taken out on that page. They glorify a crime.
Quote:
you got owned, pretty simple. just put a smile on your face and lets move on.

i cannot post the link again because it is against ToS, did you read above? do you purposely want to get me in trouble? DM me if you want that info.

i didnt say you NEED my help, i have always offered and if members dont need it it is fine, but dont come on here attacking me for not reaching out or offering a solution. i gave an olive branch, if you dont reciprocate that is on you not me. i am not hurt. community organizing is in our blood. all the way from my grandmother the Raza unida founding members here in SA, my grandfather the founding member of the MALDEF in SA, and my uncle willie velazquez.

i wouldnt stop you from removing graffiti in your area or mine. if it needs to come down it would. if i was standing next to you and i would assist. we are a forceful group and have strong members. we do not need weak members to begin with.

all i am hearing from you now is your accomnplishments and speaking for others. why bother? is that not what you supposedly dislike about me?

your way is not necessarily the right way either, so why are you having a heart attack about it?

now go back in this thread and show me how egotistical we are?

people dislike in others what they see in themselves

the ball is in your court, you want to better the entire city and have an open forum in person I am all for it, but dont say it, do it.
i can leave whatever preconcieved notions we have of each other to help everyone as a whole. i will bring all of the presidents and vp's of the organizations from my area too. we can all work towards a solution, but dont single me out because you are only doing what you claim to see in me. we can get together to work out the details for tagging issues in all areas, but pitting your years of service against mine sounds a bit jealous and self righteous at the same time.

lets all work together. name the time and place or i can set something up, but the commitment needs to be there.
see my earlier comment about the problem cannot be a part of the solution. By calling it art, you have become a part of the problem and your attempts at a solution are completely wasted by your continuation of the problem.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 AM

Q No one "owned" anyone in this thread. And there is NO jealousy. I don't know where you pulled THAT from.

Back to several other discussions on GRAFFITI.....it's clear that we don't agree on how to go about the problem. Seeing 'art" is not being aggressive enough. Quoting Ed Salazar, there should be a NO TOLERANCE policy of any of it. That's where we part ways. Walking away from a crime is negligence in my view.....no matter what part of town it's in. We part ways there too.

Just chill....I'm not having a heart attack. And I DIDN't brag about anything....I just gave a general response to your attempt to override the efforts and work of others IN OTHER PARTS OF TOWN that seem to get ignored. Like I said, there is no room for competition....that is why the word "jealousy" is ridiculous. That concept is in your head, not mine.

Take a day off....you need the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio