Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 PM

504 posts, read 1,459,949 times

Advertisements

how many people do you work for free for? we are a volunteer group. i never said we were huge, but we are sizeable and in one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. i understand all of your jealousy towards the PHNA accomplishments.

we are small, but caring for our piece of the pie. there is also the Nogalitos Zarzamora Coalition which encompasses the Collins Garden, Quintana, Stonewall, and 2 other community organizations. we are about 100,000 strong in that aspect and growing.

just doing some good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTxTwistr View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but, wCat is right, it IS a little pond. It would be different if you were talking about the entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:00 AM

the police would tell you what they told me, "if we dont witness it we cant do anything about it"

but i am sending you my address and you may contact officer jason pryor at 207-8964 if you dont think i am doing my part.
Quote:
Reporting it to me is a cop-out. I have no authority to do anything about it. I did not witness anyone come out of a shop and immediately get to tagging. Anything I would report would be hearsay, unless you give me your address and telephone number to have the authorities come speak to you and take your statement.

Except, we're not the ones bragging about what a great job we do.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 AM

message sent with address

bragging is "i am so great because i do this"

this is citydata, it is about helping your neighbors and helping those who cannot help themselves. i am giving you an example of what a bunch of volunteers can get done. i am not the only one, there are a few of us.

since day one, cd members have been on me when i give them a solution. it works for us, why dont you try it? we are poor, some uneducated, and others dont even speak english but we fight city hall for our piece of the pie. did you read our article in the newspaper for NNO? we were the only NA named from our district. did you catch us in La Prensa last weekend for awarding a lifetime achievement award? did you see the article in 210SA about us awarding a scholarship 2 months ago? now why cant others follow?

the greatest community organizer was saul alinsky and he was an exconvict. go read what he said about the middle class 50 years ago and compare it to today. it is eerie

Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM

103 posts, read 270,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
the police would tell you what they told me, "if we dont witness it we cant do anything about it"

but i am sending you my address and you may contact officer jason pryor at 207-8964 if you dont think i am doing my part.
I never said you were not doing your part, you did. You said you weren't going to do anything about it, never indicating that you had tried to do it. Now, if your cop friends tell you they can't do anything about it because THEY didn't witness it, what makes you think that I, someone with absolutely no connections, is going to get a different response.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,396,180 times
Quote:
big fish in a little pond? i am taking care of my little nook in the city. its in my bylaws to do for us first. much like jason mata does for prospect hill, lupita siller for collins garden, mr. garcia for memorial heights, beatrice gallego for st. james cops, and so forth. that is my jurisdiction. not anywhere else. i gave you the key to do the research yourself. now go do for your country and your community.

what i paint over is "toys" tagging and graf. its not art, its vandalism, but if i see a nice supher, enks, daecos, or shek piece i will keep it up as long as possible.

if you see it them tagging up the cathedral or your area, why didnt you stop them? thats on you. if you did your part, i did my part, and everyone did their parts in city we would be better off. the fact is my area does not get the finances that other districts in town get. we are the donut in the city, so if i have to help in my area alone i will. i am not city council, i am not a state rep, i am not your mayor. my area is my job responsibility. i vowed to care for my area, but if i give you a piece of advice and a tip to go on i expect others to do their part instead of it being handed to them.

a board of three officers serves over 10,000 people. i think we are doing ok
It's time to chill Q. Step outside of your shoes and understand that there are a LOT of people volunteering in other ways than encouraging vandalism only to waste time painting over it. If you stand there and watch some kid, whether it's in your "area" or not, you're just as guilty for allowing it to happen. I personally don't abide by your "bylaws"....that's an excuse to not reach across to areas that might need your help. This is some contest you are having to prove some bravado that has no place in community service. Whatever your donut hole sucks in isn't the problem of other areas.

Call it what you want, but feeding the elderly, the sick and homeless is a more urgent calling than watching some criminal punk ruin property. Where do you get off deciding what's ART and what's defacing property. You're right....you're not the mayor....not KING of anything. You could use a hefty bowl of humbly pie my dear friend. Don't be shoving your agenda down anyone's throat.

I checked out Montana and there are no dealers on that link. It's mail order ONLY. So name your dealers in town to show some credibility. Right now this discussion is about YOU....not about helping greater San Antonio. That's a sad state of affairs for this city. Mentoring other "areas" should be part of the bigger picture. Shame on you and the others for not extending support across the city. No one is asking you to "paint over the town"....but you could be a big fish in a big pond if you adopted an attitude of planting seed programs in other areas.

Too bad you have a the mentality of wanting to "keep all the marbles".

I have a few things you could "google" yourself....but I'll save them for others that WANT to think BIG.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 AM

personal attacks are nice, but so far i have proven i am a servant for the community. in fact you thank me for my service one week and then talk down on me the next. very honorable.

we were at port sa helping evacuees, we started in homeless shelter in my preteen years, we now have haven for hope which will cater to those homeless, elderly, and mentally ill all in one stop. most folks in prospect hill didnt want it, are they bad people because of that? nope its unfair to get it dumped on them.

"keep all the marbles" i give links to city govt, state govt, and i posted the link to the montana paint shop in the record thread from earlier this week. its all out there. i hide nothing.

mentoring other areas will be on our agenda as soon as we make a run for office in 2011.

i have also reached out to silvercreek for info and help, but after the first 2 DM's he never bothered contacting me again. one of those shops is in his area. all you had to do was message me instead of attacking me on the board like you always do. i have said i am an open book, but no one bothers taking the time to DM me any questions or concerns.

they only want to attack a good community volunteer in public forums to make them feel better. why bully me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
It's time to chill Q. Step outside of your shoes and understand that there are a LOT of people volunteering in other ways than encouraging vandalism only to waste time painting over it. If you stand there and watch some kid, whether it's in your "area" or not, you're just as guilty for allowing it to happen. I personally don't abide by your "bylaws"....that's an excuse to not reach across to areas that might need your help. This is some contest you are having to prove some bravado that has no place in community service. Whatever your donut hole sucks in isn't the problem of other areas.

Call it what you want, but feeding the elderly, the sick and homeless is a more urgent calling than watching some criminal punk ruin property. Where do you get off deciding what's ART and what's defacing property. You're right....you're not the mayor....not KING of anything. You could use a hefty bowl of humbly pie my dear friend. Don't be shoving your agenda down anyone's throat.

I checked out Montana and there are no dealers on that link. It's mail order ONLY. So name your dealers in town to show some credibility. Right now this discussion is about YOU....not about helping greater San Antonio. That's a sad state of affairs for this city. Mentoring other "areas" should be part of the bigger picture. Shame on you and the others for not extending support across the city. No one is asking you to "paint over the town"....but you could be a big fish in a big pond if you adopted an attitude of planting seed programs in other areas.

Too bad you have a the mentality of wanting to "keep all the marbles".

I have a few things you could "google" yourself....but I'll save them for others that WANT to think BIG.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:19 AM

call jason pryor and ask him about our service to the area. call thomas barker who is head officer at code compliance about our commitments, call debbie barcenez at Neighborhood Resources and ask her about our area sweeps, call councilwoman lourdes galvan and ask about our services.

just like Communities Organized for Public Service, we are fighting back one community at a time. first mine to hone my craft, then my neighboring areas, and maybe one day an entire district. then from there the opportunities are endless, but you will hear about us.
Quote:
I never said you were not doing your part, you did. You said you weren't going to do anything about it, never indicating that you had tried to do it. Now, if your cop friends tell you they can't do anything about it because THEY didn't witness it, what makes you think that I, someone with absolutely no connections, is going to get a different response.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:24 AM

Reps to you, wCat! That is the attitude I'm talking about. We are citizens of this CITY, not just our little neighborhoods. If I see something happening in an area of town in which I don't live, I'm still going try to do something about it. The true reward of performing community service is the satisfaction of knowing that I am doing what I was put on this earth to do...serve others without expectation of recognition. As you've stated, there are plenty of people on this board who volunteer, but they're not here, twisting themselves in knots, patting themselves on the back.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:27 AM

found something for you guys

i am building one of these for myself soon

i have an event tomorrow, but what i find funny is i always include my group as a whole. its members here who say i give no one else credit.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
call jason pryor and ask him about our service to the area. call thomas barker who is head officer at code compliance about our commitments, call debbie barcenez at Neighborhood Resources and ask her about our area sweeps, call councilwoman lourdes galvan and ask about our services.

just like Communities Organized for Public Service, we are fighting back one community at a time. first mine to hone my craft, then my neighboring areas, and maybe one day an entire district. then from there the opportunities are endless, but you will hear about us.
I don't need to ask anyone about your service. It's more than enough to hear it from you.

All that aside, you failed to answer my question as to why you would think I would get a different answer than you did. You're the one with connections, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio