Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:40 AM

56 posts, read 69,183 times

Advertisements

Looking for some input for my son's and my birthdays coming up in 3 weeks. My son really wanted to go fishing on the coast and we had plans to go to Rockport or Port Aransas. I'm not sure that's viable now with the rebuilding going on, so I'm hoping to get some ideas for places to take a little weekend getaway (possibly with fishing) that you know of. We've been to the major cities, but I know there are tons of little hole in the wall type places everywhere in Texas so I'm hoping to get some ideas from the community of your favorite spots as I've never really traveled to those spots (my family was all about the big cities growing up). My son will be turning 13 and he's not that into amusement parks or museums like I am, so would enjoy more of an adventure spot that has lodging, maybe a coastal town even that wasn't as affected - I haven't really looked yet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:00 AM

814 posts, read 689,962 times
I'm afraid the coast is out.

Head north and do some lake fishing. Many good choices.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 AM

Any in particular that you know of? Even though I've lived here my whole life, my parents never really ventured out for camping or fishing so I have no idea where to go. The only place I've been to is Lake Buchanan with my in-laws and it ended up being a disaster of a trip (not because of the lake though).

Old 09-12-2017, 11:29 AM

87 posts, read 123,697 times
When I was growing up my family lived in Kerrville for several years. We loved to camp at Garner State Park near Concan, TX. We enjoyed hiking as well as swimming and tubing in the river. (I'm sorry I don't know about fishing as we didn't fish.) There are campsites and cabins for rent.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/garner

The general website for TX state parks is below - it has lots of helpful information.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

Old 09-12-2017, 11:37 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,220,031 times
Ingram, TX for fishing. I did some fly fishing there but really only caught some little sunfish where I was at.

Go stay at the River Road Treehouses on the River in New Braunfels.

Camping and fishing is fun at Medina Lake too. The deer just come right up to you....it's pretty cool to me.

Marble Falls is pretty but I haven't fished there. It's right on the river. Take cash and eat at Bluebonnet Cafe. Best pie for miles.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:45 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,931,636 times
Garner State Park
Inks Lake
Fredericksburg - hike Enchanted Rock and then go to War of the Pacific musuem

Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,430,371 times
Default Seconded,

Enchanted Rock is an adventure your will not soon forget. It is an enormous outcropping of pink Granite unlike the surrounding area which is all limestone and so and is Round and Pink and 500 feet high.
Garner Park also has a huge escarpment directly next to the Frio River and is quite beautiful. They both are a pretty good hike if you can manage it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Garner State Park
Inks Lake
Fredericksburg - hike Enchanted Rock and then go to War of the Pacific musuem

Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the tips! I've heard a lot about Garner State park - I thought it was just for tent camping, but I will look into those cabins.

I've been to Enchanted Rock a long time ago(I guess I have seen a few adventurous places, LOL) and that was a lot of fun. I'm going to have a toddler in tow though, so I don't know if I want to attempt that just yet. I might do that with my older kids as a day trip when my MIL can watch the baby; adding it to the bucket list.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,931,636 times
Johnson City is also nice - my kids liked the LBJ house and musuem and there's a surprisingly good science musuem right by the homestead.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,430,371 times
Default Just went also,

Once again we are in agreement Mom. Went to LBJ House ( where else would I go?),
took the House tour, saw the Air Force One Lear Jet, Burial sites of the Johnsons, etc.
Afterwards, on my way back, stopped by Guadalupe State Park where a controlled brush burn was underway by the Park Rangers and the Fire Dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Johnson City is also nice - my kids liked the LBJ house and musuem and there's a surprisingly good science musuem right by the homestead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio