Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:28 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,428,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
You don't need a map with little dots that was compiled from city records to know where the traffic conjestion is. You probably have a better chance of being injured or killed in a car wreck on the northside than ever knowingly coming into contact with a sex offender on the southside.
Not necessarily - there are just as many bad drivers on the southside. I was on SE Military daily for years, and it's just as bad as the northside. I can recall several bad accidents on 37, Military, etc, due to driver mistakes. Even drunk drivers in the morning on my way to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,593,102 times
Yes, bad drivers are everywhere. They are just more consentrated on the north side.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM

847 posts, read 2,234,883 times
Quote:

Mud, I found my old house but I can't figure out how to save images in google.

Can you provide any clues?

Bob, I don't know if Google has a Save Image feature.

I take a screen shoot (Print Screen on your keyboard).

Then, in PhotoShop, I paste the screen shot,
and save from there.

mud

Old 03-19-2008, 03:46 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,461,175 times
Quote:
Random musings of SnappyBob

To all with riches from your former home
And plan for SA to end your roam

Take heed the tale that the Banker tells
And keep your house hunting to north side sales

The evil forces just south of town
Will suck you up and drag you down

It eats the sheltered and the weak
And spits them out in Salado Creek

And to those of you from out of state
Go north and avoid a simular state

So if you want to stay in the shape your in
You should keep your searches north of 410

Each day I rise in my southside house
And I realize I'm just a poor louse

I pray that some day my ship will come in
And my tribe on the south side can move to the north end

But if I was a rich guy like most on this board
I think I'd stay here no matter what I could afford.

This was awesome! Love it!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,059,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I support efforts to maintain and revitalize otherwise ignored areas, however I find it hard to lead the charge with stats like the ones shown below. These snapshots are from the sex offender web page: TXDPS Crime Records Services
The dots represent a registered sex offender's place of residence.

I have visited other sex offender web sites that had more activity in the North Central area, however it still paled in comparison to the West and South East sides shown in the other snapshots. I am aware that these only represent registered offers so North Central should have more, but by that same token so should the other two areas.

For now I'll take traffic congestion and a Starbucks in the corner over stats like this.

West side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/...300078.jpg?v=0

South East side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/...c82dce.jpg?v=0

North Central:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2400/...4eae90.jpg?v=0
So sex offenders don't have transportation? They just stay local? Whew!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM

218 posts, read 337,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I support efforts to maintain and revitalize otherwise ignored areas, however I find it hard to lead the charge with stats like the ones shown below. These snapshots are from the sex offender web page: TXDPS Crime Records Services
The dots represent a registered sex offender's place of residence.

I have visited other sex offender web sites that had more activity in the North Central area, however it still paled in comparison to the West and South East sides shown in the other snapshots. I am aware that these only represent registered offers so North Central should have more, but by that same token so should the other two areas.

For now I'll take traffic congestion and a Starbucks in the corner over stats like this.

West side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/...300078.jpg?v=0

South East side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/...c82dce.jpg?v=0

North Central:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2400/...4eae90.jpg?v=0
How can you label the South East side screen cap the Southeast side when it covers downtown, inner west, inner east and south side and the south east side.

Also, how is that any type of indicator of how safe an area is from violent crime? It's very very much grasping for straws.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 PM

119 posts, read 430,947 times
Maybe it's just that the sex offenders of the Northside have the money to cover up their tracks.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM

841 posts, read 1,749,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevintage View Post
Maybe it's just that the sex offenders of the Northside have the money to cover up their tracks.
To tell you the truth, this was my first thought. Honestly though, these appear at first blush to be damning graphics, but more information needs to be considered - the density of development (apartments, less undeveloped space, larger lots, etc.) vs. number of crimes, the actual crime committed, the quality of legal representation, etc. All I know is that my parent's subdivision on the northside has NO registered offenders compared to the one in my "inner city" neighborhood... but I would still rather live where I live now.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,428,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
To tell you the truth, this was my first thought. Honestly though, these appear at first blush to be damning graphics, but more information needs to be considered - the density of development (apartments, less undeveloped space, larger lots, etc.) vs. number of crimes, the actual crime committed, the quality of legal representation, etc. All I know is that my parent's subdivision on the northside has NO registered offenders compared to the one in my "inner city" neighborhood... but I would still rather live where I live now.
That's exactly right. Drawing conclusions is too easy with maps of registered offenders. There's more to a neighborhood/area than just where the 'bad people' live. We live in a pretty nice area, and there are registered offenders on the next street.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,059,220 times
Besides, they aren't necessarily staying in their own neighborhoods to offend, if they are inclined to do so. It's not like they don't have cars, or walk around with "sex offender" tattooed on their foreheads, so we know they're coming. Where they live is not totally irrelevant, but it's not like we are containing them in their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio