Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:48 PM

47 posts, read 90,660 times

Advertisements

I just found out I'm located in an area that is on a list of for annexation by the City of San Antonio.

Donna Campbell posted a note on facebook that says the City is attempting to rush this annexation through in less than 30 days without giving property owners a say. The affected areas are around Culebra/Alamo Ranch, Potranco, Wiseman, I-10 East & West, Bitters Rd, Foster Road and others, nearly 20 square miles.

A couple questions.
(1) Can they push this through this quickly?
(2) I'm located in an area that is an ETJ to another city, not San Antonio. Does the annexation process allow for one city to annex another's ETJ?

"A Resolution directing the Department of Planning & Community Development to prepare Service Plans for the following Annexation Areas: (A) IH 10 West Commercial Corridor, (B) Babcock Road Commercial Corridor, (C) Culebra Road – Alamo Ranch Commercial Corridor, (D) Wiseman Road Commercial Corridor, (E) Potranco Road – West Loop 1604 Commercial Corridors, (F) Vance Jackson – North Loop 1604 West Tracts, (G) West Bitters Road Tracts, (H) Foster Road Area and (I) IH 10 East – Loop 1604 East Interchange Area in Bexar County. [Peter Zanoni, Deputy City Manager; Bridgett White, Director, Planning & Community Development."

Here's a link to the city resolution that passed last week. https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:53 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdad View Post
I just found out I'm located in an area that is on a list of for annexation by the City of San Antonio.

Donna Campbell posted a note on facebook that says the City is attempting to rush this annexation through in less than 30 days without giving property owners a say. The affected areas are around Culebra/Alamo Ranch, Potranco, Wiseman, I-10 East & West, Bitters Rd, Foster Road and others, nearly 20 square miles.

A couple questions.
(1) Can they push this through this quickly?
(2) I'm located in an area that is an ETJ to another city, not San Antonio. Does the annexation process allow for one city to annex another's ETJ?

"A Resolution directing the Department of Planning & Community Development to prepare Service Plans for the following Annexation Areas: (A) IH 10 West Commercial Corridor, (B) Babcock Road Commercial Corridor, (C) Culebra Road – Alamo Ranch Commercial Corridor, (D) Wiseman Road Commercial Corridor, (E) Potranco Road – West Loop 1604 Commercial Corridors, (F) Vance Jackson – North Loop 1604 West Tracts, (G) West Bitters Road Tracts, (H) Foster Road Area and (I) IH 10 East – Loop 1604 East Interchange Area in Bexar County. [Peter Zanoni, Deputy City Manager; Bridgett White, Director, Planning & Community Development."

Here's a link to the city resolution that passed last week. https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=
No, you can not annex into another ETJ unless the ETJ involved says yes, also, there ARE time frames, notifications, all kinds of restrictions, laws to be met before, required before annexation, so there is much information missing here, I bet S.A. knows what they are doing and is perfectly legal.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:01 PM

50 posts, read 65,344 times
It will be complete by 31 August if approved and it will only be roads and not any built up residential property for the fast track

Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,892 times
There has been no rush - just typical Campbell bluster. San Antonio's annexation plan for these areas have been talked about since 2014, with the many of the details being finalized last summer. A timeline with the various presentations can be found here: Annexation Program

Now, granted, the Alamo Ranch area may have only recently moved from the "study" phase to the "let's go ahead and annex" phase, but it should not be a surprise as I remember hearing grumblings from the area during the 2015 legislative session.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM

The big Alamo Ranch / 281 / I-10 areas have been discussed for some time, and you're correct, information has been out there for a while. The "fast track" areas do seem to carve out most residential areas, but there are definitely some, including mine, that are built out.

My neighborhood on Bitters Road shows up on none of the previous maps or presentation, but all of the sudden it popped up in the resolution. ETJ is Hill Country Village, so not sure how San Antonio is trying to gobble us up... Hoping it's a mistake.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 PM

349 posts, read 422,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
There has been no rush - just typical Campbell bluster. San Antonio's annexation plan for these areas have been talked about since 2014, with the many of the details being finalized last summer. A timeline with the various presentations can be found here: Annexation Program

Now, granted, the Alamo Ranch area may have only recently moved from the "study" phase to the "let's go ahead and annex" phase, but it should not be a surprise as I remember hearing grumblings from the area during the 2015 legislative session.
Campbell as per usual is absolutely full of it.
Such a shocker.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,329 times
This is a new initiative being undertaken by the city. While these areas are part of a larger area being considered for annexation, that initiative was on a slower track. The city has opted to look at annexing areas with fewer than 100 residents to fast track and grab before the Texas Legislature sets right the wrong of imposing taxes without the consent of the governed. It isn't just roads, it is land with homes, apartments, and businesses. Don't agree with Donna Campbell on many things, but on this issue she is dead on right.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
This has been discussed in several other threads: https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html and https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...alk-again.html and this thread ended up talking about annexation a bit - https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...nirenberg.html

Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 AM

Sure, there are other threads that address annexation... However, this resolution to fast-track these areas just got approved last week (6/29). As I said before, some (not all) of these areas are brand new, not showing up on any previously published plans/maps.

Combined with the recent filibuster of the Texas annexation bill, a brand new city council and mayor, and a pending special session with the annexation bill on the docket, It sure looks like they are trying to pull a fast one...

Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Where on Bitters Road are you not in San Antonio or Hill Country Village???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio