Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 02:12 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,850,831 times

Advertisements

Even areas within SA deteriorate. Nelson Wolf is just fishing for reasons to make annexation happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,548,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
There's a lot of grumbling in the thread about the city making a "push" for annexation, but there's more to the story than that. The Bexar County judge may actually want annexation to happen more than the city does. The Commissioner's Court is fed up with having to provide services to dense residential areas, with limited budgets and limited ability to raise taxes to improve the budget. If you live in a neighborhood in unincorporated Bexar County, Nelson Wolff is not ashamed to admit that he wants your neighborhood to be shuffled into a city and out of his primary services area.
This has been known for a long time, but people refuse to believe it. From first-hand experience, I know some of the reasons why the county no longer wants control of these areas. If you want legislation that will stop your area from being annexed, then take aim at the laws that make it difficult for counties to govern and provide services to urban areas.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 AM

894 posts, read 1,561,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
This has been known for a long time, but people refuse to believe it. From first-hand experience, I know some of the reasons why the county no longer wants control of these areas. If you want legislation that will stop your area from being annexed, then take aim at the laws that make it difficult for counties to govern and provide services to urban areas.
Annexation reform in Texas is about one thing...obtaining the consent of the governed before imposing taxes levied by an entity ruled by leaders they didn't elect. To your point about having the laws right for counties to govern and service the citizens in their unincorporated jurisdiction, you are absolutely correct. When annexation reform is passed, other legislation may need to be considered, but it is still the right thing to do.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,283,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Annexation reform in Texas is about one thing...obtaining the consent of the governed before imposing taxes levied by an entity ruled by leaders they didn't elect.
I would argue that folks in unincorporated areas of Bexar County didn't really elect your County Judge or County Commissioner. Those offices are elected in county-wide elections. Most of the voters who vote for those offices live in cities and by a large margin, most of the city voters in Bexar County are in San Antonio. So the heads of your most local form of government were elected by San Antonians. I had as much of a say in who should be the head of government for those folks on the unincorporated part of Bitters Road as they did.

Quote:
To your point about having the laws right for counties to govern and service the citizens in their unincorporated jurisdiction, you are absolutely correct. When annexation reform is passed, other legislation may need to be considered, but it is still the right thing to do.
I agree that it should happen that way, but it won't. There is no appetite in the state legislature for raising taxes. Taking the reins off of county government to let it tax at the same level as cities would be viewed by legislators as raising taxes.

So the question I have for you unincorporated Bexar County residents is why do you settle for what your local government freely admits are inferior services that are stretched to the limit? Do you value lower taxes more than your own safety?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I would argue that folks in unincorporated areas of Bexar County didn't really elect your County Judge or County Commissioner. Those offices are elected in county-wide elections. Most of the voters who vote for those offices live in cities and by a large margin, most of the city voters in Bexar County are in San Antonio. So the heads of your most local form of government were elected by San Antonians. I had as much of a say in who should be the head of government for those folks on the unincorporated part of Bitters Road as they did.
Your stream of conciousness here is absent any logic or merit.

Quote:
So the question I have for you unincorporated Bexar County residents is why do you settle for what your local government freely admits are inferior services that are stretched to the limit? Do you value lower taxes more than your own safety?
I've lived in unincorporated Bexar County for eight years now and have yet to see any sign of these "inferior services". That Nelson Wolff makes a statement doesn't make it true. In fact, the truth is quite the opposite for myself and my neighbors. We are served in fire and medical response by ESD 8 and get good service. If we are annexed by San Antonio, we will get lesser service provided by stations further away and less well equipped. And do we need police from SAPD? They are already short 140 positions. If they annex another 200,000 people, they will be even deeper in the hole. Sculley's magic wand won't get them out of that. And my neighbors will get lesser service instead of the rapid response we get from BCSO now.

Now if you want an example of where an area needs to be annexed, look at Camelot II. But San Antonio won't consider that...nothing in it for them. No altruists at COSA.

I've said it before and it remains true, annexation by San Antonio is nothing but a sham for the people it targets. They will get nothing they need, but Sculley's bankroll will get fatter. All we want is to be asked if we want to be annexed. Really, I'm open minded and i wish someone would make the case for me and my neighbors as to why this is the right thing to do. All we have ever gotten is rhetoric. In meetings with Ivy Taylor and Ron Nirenberg, all we hear is "to control development". Huh? My neighborhood was fully developed under a plan approved by the city since we are in the ETJ. They have never given us ANY reason on why it is right. They just want our money. I moved to where I am because it was a nice and safe alternative to living in the city. It still is a nice and safe alternative to living in the city and I aim to keep it that way.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,283,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Your stream of conciousness here is absent any logic or merit.
Why? Your lowest level of government, the county, is led by people who wish to get out of the business of providing government services to you. That's significant and it seems straightforward to me. Why aren't you and your neighbors fighting harder to change the leadership of the Commissioners Court?

Quote:
I've lived in unincorporated Bexar County for eight years now and have yet to see any sign of these "inferior services". That Nelson Wolff makes a statement doesn't make it true. In fact, the truth is quite the opposite for myself and my neighbors. We are served in fire and medical response by ESD 8 and get good service. If we are annexed by San Antonio, we will get lesser service provided by stations further away and less well equipped.
If your area were annexed, it's reasonable to expect the city would build a fire station to service your area. If that happens, it should insist on it, or make it a condition of being annexed.

Quote:
And do we need police from SAPD? They are already short 140 positions. If they annex another 200,000 people, they will be even deeper in the hole. Sculley's magic wand won't get them out of that. And my neighbors will get lesser service instead of the rapid response we get from BCSO now.

Now if you want an example of where an area needs to be annexed, look at Camelot II. But San Antonio won't consider that...nothing in it for them. No altruists at COSA.

I've said it before and it remains true, annexation by San Antonio is nothing but a sham for the people it targets. They will get nothing they need, but Sculley's bankroll will get fatter. All we want is to be asked if we want to be annexed. Really, I'm open minded and i wish someone would make the case for me and my neighbors as to why this is the right thing to do. All we have ever gotten is rhetoric. In meetings with Ivy Taylor and Ron Nirenberg, all we hear is "to control development". Huh? My neighborhood was fully developed under a plan approved by the city since we are in the ETJ. They have never given us ANY reason on why it is right. They just want our money. I moved to where I am because it was a nice and safe alternative to living in the city. It still is a nice and safe alternative to living in the city and I aim to keep it that way.
I can't dispute your satisfaction. Clearly, the city and county need to make a stronger case to get you to consent to annexation. If the county wanted to reduce service and increase response times to make its point, it could do that. I know that I wouldn't want to be governed by a local government that openly expresses a wish to get out of the business of servicing my neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Why? Your lowest level of government, the county, is led by people who wish to get out of the business of providing government services to you. That's significant and it seems straightforward to me. Why aren't you and your neighbors fighting harder to change the leadership of the Commissioners Court?
Not all Bexar County Commissioners think the same way. I know Kevin Wolff disagrees with his dad on the matter and yes, we are working to change leadership with county government, but they have no role in the act of annexation.

Quote:
If your area were annexed, it's reasonable to expect the city would build a fire station to service your area. If that happens, it should insist on it, or make it a condition of being annexed.
Ya think? Yes it would be reasonable to expect that, but it is nowhere in their plans. Make it a condition of being annexed? So far, none of us have been invited to negotiate the terms of our surrender. It has been unconditionally demanded and they have us at a disadvantage. The city has staffs of planners working overtime to find the best way to bend us over and give it to us good. We're just a bunch of hardworking folks who do what we can in our spare time (between posts on CD) to fight this.

Quote:
I can't dispute your satisfaction. Clearly, the city and county need to make a stronger case to get you to consent to annexation. If the county wanted to reduce service and increase response times to make its point, it could do that. I know that I wouldn't want to be governed by a local government that openly expresses a wish to get out of the business of servicing my neighborhood.
Thanks for at least recognizing that. I mean if you were to take all emotion out of the issue and look at it solely from a business case, the analysis makes zero sense for me and 199,999 other people.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,422,408 times
Default They'll do it every time,

This same topic always, comes up every time there is an annexation.....I don't use any city streets etc.,
yes, it all makes sense, Texas cities are growing at a very fast rate.
Property beyond where you live will be annexed someday.
When I was a teenager my parents lived in Thunderbird Hills and that was the furthest outpost of the city back then. All else beyond was wilderness and Ingram Mall was only an old limestone quarry.
All Culebra Rd beyond Loop 410 was for beef cattle and barbed wire all the way to Loop 1604. Potranco Rd branched off Ingram and was also open land. Bandera Rd dad some development beyond Loop 410 along Hwy 16 mostly due to Leon Valley but beyond there was little.
The same with the Northeast Side Blanco Rd inside 1604 was an absolute wilderness. Nothing.
I suppose none of that land should ever have been annexed either. In the last ten years I have watched
people here and every time there is an annexation there is the whining and justifications , the same ones,
for non -annexation.
I have stopped entering reasons why annexation has to occur and is necessary. It has become redundant.
Eventually San Antonio will stretch nearly to Medina Lake- overtake New Braunfels and FM Highway
46 will be the outer Loop in the future. These arguments against here are insignificant in the larger picture.
Look at this topic here on this forum and you will see the same points being made some time back.
It is inevitable.This is how things are. Happen here. For decades, as the city always is always...constantly growing...

Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM

4,460 posts, read 5,404,242 times
Bulvede and New Braunfels have choked off San Antonio from going to much further Northeast.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...S/Maps/ETJ.pdf

Old 07-11-2017, 11:06 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,422,408 times
Default Bulvede????

Where the heck is Bulvede anyway? Ah yes, Bulvede will be the next Alamo Heights and wunderful New Braunfels will be just another surrounded burb. I do so believe it will go to(o) much further northesast.
Someday. Austin and San Antonio will border each other.
I would not believe every statistic I readed. Rynethree.

"Bulvede and New Braunfels have choked off San Antonio from going to much further Northeast. "
https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...S/Maps/ETJ.pdf[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio