Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:13 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,647 times

Advertisements

Here's a bit of history I found on the net on the taco cabana on hildebrand.....

Early History
Taco Cabana was founded by Felix Stehling, a businessman who figured prominently in the San Antonio area and owned numerous restaurants and taverns throughout the city. One of his most popular establishments was the Crystal Pistol Bar situated on the corner of Hildebrand and San Pedro avenues. Students from Trinity University frequented the Crystal Pistol Bar on a regular basis; every weekend, and some weekday evenings as well, the place was crowded with people. In fact, the bar was so crowded on certain nights that parking became a major problem. With the convenience and comfort of his customers in mind, not to mention the growing profits from the bar, Stehling decided to purchase the lot across the street on which sat an abandoned Dairy Queen and turn it into a parking lot.
After he purchased the lot, Stehling took the next natural step. Since the property had previously been used for a restaurant, he would transform part of lot and use it to open a taco stand to feed ravenous students as they left the bar. Anticipating success with his new taco stand, Stehling was overwhelmingly disappointed when he woke up after the first night's business only to find all of the patio furniture stolen. Not knowing what to do, Stehling's first thought was to close the operation and go back to what he knew would work. However, the entrepreneur in him refused to let go of the idea for a taco stand in the parking lot, and soon Stehling came up with a solution to the problem, namely, keeping the place open through the night. This decision would ultimately give rise to Taco Cabana becoming a round-the-clock operation.
Not surprisingly, with Stehling's organizational ability and his talent for implementing all the appropriate operating systems and accounting mechanisms, in addition to his experience in hiring the right personnel and extensive background in restaurant design, Taco Cabana was a rapid success. From its inception, Stehling was committed to purchasing and selling the highest quality food for his customers. Made from fresh meat and produce delivered by vendors to the small restaurant three times per week, the menu was prepared fresh every day. Stehling was convinced that this would significantly set his restaurant apart from other traditional Mexican restaurants and fast food establishments that heavily depended on serving pre-prepared, pre-packaged, and frozen food to maintain their large customer base.
One of the most attractive features of his taco stand was the inexpensive price for every item on the menu. This policy of Stehling's was intentional, since he thought that Taco Cabana could garner a loyal following by pricing its menu lower than for comparable fare sold in sit-down Mexican restaurants where traditionally prepared food was the primary attraction. Home-tested recipes and authentic Mexican cuisine, along with alcoholic beverages such as beer and margaritas, were a hit at their low-selling price.
Soon Stehling came to realize that he was sitting on top of a potential gold mine. He decided therefore to open up a chain of the Taco Cabana restaurants throughout the city of San Antonio. However, Stehling knew that he could not expand without additional help. As a result, he asked two of his brothers to assist him in expanding the business. Brought in as equal partners, the two brothers worked hard to make the Taco Cabana concept successful. Within a short period of time, the brothers' hard work paid off handsomely. Under the direction of the family partnership, Taco Cabana grew to include nine restaurants in and around San Antonio. Just as important, revenues were increasing at a dramatic rate.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 70,784 times
Don't forget The Bombay Bicycle Club and Lyndy's, both owned and run by the family. I worked at Lyndy's for about a year tending bar/cooking.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,046 times
Anyone remember the old guy dressed a cowboy who used to hang out across the street from that Taco Cabana? This would have been in the late '70s....[/quote]

He was still there in the late 80's when I commuted down Hildebrand. I knew him as Cowboy Jim because he stood in front of the Jim's Restaurant.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,765 times
I was a DJ at the Crystal Pistol when we opened the Taco Cabana. It was cheaper to sell tacos then tear down the building for additional parking...and one Saturday night the vent shaft caught on fire!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:32 AM

55 posts, read 232,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
I was a DJ at the Crystal Pistol when we opened the Taco Cabana. It was cheaper to sell tacos then tear down the building for additional parking...and one Saturday night the vent shaft caught on fire!
Do you remember a cat named Tommy Stoneham who was also a DJ at the Pistol? We worked together at Albertson's at West Ave ane Blanco.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
tcs

Yes I do, that is me!

Albertsons 4234 1980-1982 or so then to 4238 Wurzbach. We played Late Night KISS FM and burned casettes with Legs Diamond and Dirty Tricks.
Drove by the store shells last year and really had a sinking feeling. Albertsons could have done well there, Larry screwed them. Retired after 27 years with Albertsons and now work in Flower Mound, Texas.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
tcs

Okay here we go, who remembers Electric Light and Sound where MAMA's cafe is or was on San Pedro. Used to be a place with carpeted risers and you could sit or lay and listen to LP's. Pretty cool at the time, did not last very long.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Yes I do, that is me!

Albertsons 4234 1980-1982 or so then to 4238 Wurzbach. We played Late Night KISS FM and burned casettes with Legs Diamond and Dirty Tricks.
Drove by the store shells last year and really had a sinking feeling. Albertsons could have done well there, Larry screwed them. Retired after 27 years with Albertsons and now work in Flower Mound, Texas.
did you go to the Legs Diamond concert when they played at the Sunken Gardens?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
TG&Y on West Ave? I remember riding my bike there!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
I remember riding my bicycle to Central Park Mall. My friend got in trouble once riding his bike inside the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio