Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 PM

60 posts, read 208,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Man I miss winn's, the best popcorn and icee in town.
That's exactly what I was thinking.. their popcorn was really super-greasy and served in tall, narrow white bags in several sizes. I used to get mine at the Allena Village Winn's.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,110 times
I don't think Winn's demise had anything to do with Wal-Mart. Winn's passed on in the late 80's. I used to take children's pictures in the store back in the early 70's. The store had been around forever and it sold to another company and they closed them down because they weren't economical. Hand it to Wal-Mart. Don't forget they started out as a 5/10 back in the 40s or 50s and just had a better product.

Back in those days Sears was the big boy on the block. I worked on the remodeling team in Illinois in 1999 and we had just got through remodeling our store when a new college graduate/marketing manager went in from Corporate and tore out all of our work and remodeled again. They were still finishing up when they had to go back and change everything. That's why Sears got so big and bloated and imploded on itself, like a balloon. You don't hear those stories at Wal-Mart. Other stories maybe, but not stupid stories. Just stories where they make employees work for free during their lunchbreak. Does save money!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,636 times
Ok I think that Dollar General and Family Dollar are just what Winns and Woolworths should have evolved to. .They have both thrived in the same market area unless I just don't understand something. I don't see why Family Dollar and Dollar General don't sell Popcorn and Icees. Maybe I just don't get it. I don't understand why Pizza places go out of business and are replaced with other pizza places. Everybody tells me it is bad management..I dunno

Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM

In the early Eighties there was a Flea Market on the corner of Wurzbach and Evers. I think Fargo's was still there. Hungry Horse too I think. I was walking around the Flea Market and I found a shop that had all the old Sci-Fi movies I used to watch on Project Terror on Video Tape. VCR's were new and most people didn't have one--I didn't anyway. I asked the shop owner how I could see these movies and he told me if I gave him a dollar I could take it home and watch it and bring it back the next day. I couldn't believe it. I never heard of renting a movie and taking it home and watching as much as you wanted. I found a guy at work who had a VCR and he told me he rents them mail order. He told me that if I wanted to rent some I could come over and watch them if I provided the beer. It wasn't long after that before I bought my first VCR.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would kill for a Fargo's pizza again.
I remember the one on San Pedro/281 on the way to Canyon Lake. Was it a Fargos? In the HEB shopping center?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM

I think San Pedro and 281 are the same road..I have to think about this

Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Could it be out near Chula Vista..which vanished?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 PM

Does anybody remember Chula Vista? If you do please don't tell me!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
In the early Eighties there was a Flea Market on the corner of Wurzbach and Evers. I think Fargo's was still there. Hungry Horse too I think. I was walking around the Flea Market and I found a shop that had all the old Sci-Fi movies I used to watch on Project Terror on Video Tape. VCR's were new and most people didn't have one--I didn't anyway. I asked the shop owner how I could see these movies and he told me if I gave him a dollar I could take it home and watch it and bring it back the next day. I couldn't believe it. I never heard of renting a movie and taking it home and watching as much as you wanted. I found a guy at work who had a VCR and he told me he rents them mail order. He told me that if I wanted to rent some I could come over and watch them if I provided the beer. It wasn't long after that before I bought my first VCR.
That is the Fargos we used to go to....wasn't there a Sweenson ice shop in that same mall? I don't think it was a flea market at first. I remember there was also a TG&Y in there too. The Hungry Horse used to be a kid restaurant with a actual school bus sticking out of it..called Millard Filmores.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Yes the flea market was in the bigger buliding, i liked that flea market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio