Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I saw two dead dogs on the side of 90 coming home today and several others roaming around some of the side roads. I can't say for sure that these were caused by the fireworks, but I'd say the odds are pretty good. My dogs were terrified all night and that was with us letting them all sleep in the bed with us.

Why do people here do them on New Years eve anyhow? I've never seen this tradition in any of the other states I've lived in and I seriously don't like it. My yard is littered with wrappers and dead fireworks from the irresponsible people that kept me up all night.
My grandma's dog ran off on the night of 4th of July many years ago. We were sure it was because of the fireworks. Grandma wasn't home, grandpa was and wouldn't let the dog in the house. She was a very skiddish dog too.

So I wouldn't be surprised if these dogs were a "product" of last night's festivities.

When we lived in Alaska a few years ago, that was the first place we lived where fire works on New Year's Eve was a BIG DEAL. Didn't understand the first year until summer came...the sun doesn't go down on July 4th so New Year's Eve is the only time to do fireworks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Dealt with that same thing in Iceland one year...no sundown in the summer...means big fireworks for NYE.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM

77 posts, read 93,459 times
jules07,
I will respond... no, we didn't think to ask if fireworks are legal in the neighborhood, because truthfully, I didn't think any civilized neighborhood in America allowed them in the streets and on the sidewalks. We have lived in six states and they were not allowed in neighborhoods. Second, it's more than two nights and if you don't believe me, come drive through the villages of Westcreek on the 4th of July. I don't see what the taxes have to do with this issue... taxes here are ridiculous in and out of city limits. As I said, people can go and shoot them, but why would you cause so much noise and clean-up for your neigbors? The wind was terrible here last night. What happened to common sense? What happened to just being considerate?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM

I think she's trying to compare the tradeoffs this way:

No city taxes= the areas where fireworks are legal or
City taxes= areas where no fireworks allowed

Having lived in NY/NJ and SoCal...we are quite pleased with the taxes. This is the lowest we've ever had to pay. I know it's not the case for everyone, but we'll take it.

I'm happy to report that I saw some folks on my street cleaning up today. That was nice and I'm glad that people took the pride (and time) to do it.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Default You're right FCF!

That's what I was asking ~ is the trade off worth it. And missmypfc, when I asked "did you know" I meant, "where you informed by anyone", not "did you ask". We thought to ask, but only because before moving here we lived in Charleston, South Carolina (actually a suburb of it, Summerville) and they were legal there. After living in SoCal and Phx before that, we were shocked out there to see 10 year old boys walking around in "packs", with bags full of bottle rockets that they purposely pointed at the houses! Any many people consider Charleston to be one of the most "civilized" areas.

To me, when we heard "no city taxes" while house hunting, "common sense" was to ask "well, yeah, then what do we give up in service/protection". I thought that the roughly 80 bucks a months were worth having city trash collection (at $10/month compared to ??? are you guys paying per month for Tiger or WM or whomever????), city maintained streets, street lights, City Police and paid Fire Department. Throw "fireworks aren't legal in the city limits" into the equation, and it was a no brainer for us! Well worth the relatively small amount we would've saved by buying in a "no city taxes" area. But that's us, others probably feel differently.

And I mainly wanted to ask if anyone informed you, because when I was active in Real Estate, while showing clients around that was one of the things I let them know. Felt it was important. Just wondering if others had that experience with their agent.

And yeah, missmypfc, I only live across the highway from you. I know that the fireworks start before the holiday and last beyond it. I'm not quite that oblivious. It just doesn't affect me in the way it does you, cause I don't hear the noise, nor need to deal with the clean up. Just get to see the pretty colors in the sky........

Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM

FYI- Tiger is $63 quarterly....so $21/month. We like it dark, so the very few streetlights that we have here, are fine for us.
As far as the fire dept and police go..it is what it is. Hopefully, neither you nor I, will ever have to use either one.
It wasn't a money issue for us. We just liked the area and the neighbors where we are. If this house would have been inside the city limits, we still would've bought it.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 01-01-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
FYI- Tiger is $63 quarterly....so $21/month.
Thanx!!! LOL!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,729 times
We had several hundred explosive devices between me and a few of my neighbors. We were very careful and cautious in spite of the huge display we put on. Lawns were wet, and hoses were on standby in case something caught fire. With every set of launches, we'd make sure that if anything landed on a rooftop or grass, that nothing flarred up before setting of the next round of launch tubes we had set up.

I can't speak for some of the other streets, but we were done by 12:30AM. We cleaned up our street, and retreated back to our warm homes.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:31 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I bought my house back in 2002 and the area was still "small" back then. If I was looking now and saw the place on the 4th or New Years then there's no way I'd live out here. Worst part is it's only going to get MUCH worse. Which is why is why my resolution is to do everything I can to get me out of here..

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
At least someone is finally blaming the correct people: Fire Chief: 'Last Night Was Hell Night For Us' - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/14958211/detail.html - broken link)
Any adult with common sense should've known the weather conditions were definitely wrong for fireworks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio