Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,207,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
What kind of culture sides with the thief over the victim? Absolutely ridiculous. I question the morals of anyone that says 'you had it coming...'.
This is advice I've heard our local police giving on National Night Out. A key component of crime prevention is removing the opportunity for crime to occur in the first place.

Your approach strikes me as putting cheese in the driveway and daring the mice to come and get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,378,128 times
Quote:
Yes really. It is an asinine statement to say that you should have expected your car to be stolen or broken into if you park it in your driveway instead of in your garage. I have an expectation that private property residing on private property should not be touched without permission. Because I realize others don't feel the same way, I have surveillance cameras covering my driveway from two angles as well as every point of entry into my home. I am also heavily armed.

A person has a right to complain about a piece of garbage thief when and where ever they want. It is just ignorant to say you should expect to be robbed.

What kind of culture sides with the thief over the victim? Absolutely ridiculous. I question the morals of anyone that says 'you had it coming...'.
For clarification, I don't think anyone is saying that if you leave your car outside you are asking to be robbed, nor is anyone siding with thieves versus property owners. I don know where you're coming from. It wasn't that long ago that 2 thieves were shot trying to break into a truck in Stone Oak, and many locals were wringing hands and gnashing teeth saying a vehicle isn't worth shooting someone over. If you break the law by breaking into private property, in the dark at 2am, the only person to blame for the shooting is the criminal committing the crime.

One of the key components of physical security is to do whatever possible to reduce risk and limit opportunity available to criminals. The 3-4 organized groups that are behind the majority of vehicle burglaries in the SA area focus on soft targets. Vehicles parked outside, in poorly lit areas, with potential items of value visible from the outside. Think like the criminal. If you have to choose between 2 options, one being a car parked in poorly lit area, with a laptop case clearly visible on the floor of the front seat, or a car parked under street lights/house lights, with nothing of value visible inside, which one would you choose. Parking a vehicle in a garage removes the opportunity. Most of the local criminals aren't going to risk breaking into a garage to break into a vehicle, especially if there are plenty of other cars parked on the street or in driveways.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,820,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I don't care how "you" use "your" garage.

But IMO, if one makes the very conscious choice to fill the garage with stuff, rather than vehicles, my view is that the person forfeits the right to complain about subsequent vehicle burglary and vandalism, like the original post was doing. It was totally preventable!

I also get why people without a garage get angry about those things. But if I were in that situation and got my vehicle burgled or banged up, I'd also be very motivated to move to a place with a garage.

Acts of vandalism or burglary on your own property is never totally preventable, otherwise we wouldn't need police (or trigger happy CHL folks in Texas) for those issues.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:22 PM

838 posts, read 1,215,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Acts of vandalism or burglary on your own property is never totally preventable, otherwise we wouldn't need police (or trigger happy CHL folks in Texas) for those issues.
You don't need a concealed carry license to brandish a weapon on your own property.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,820,632 times
Quote:
You don't need a concealed carry license to brandish a weapon on your own property.
You are right, but what about apartments?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,207,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Acts of vandalism or burglary on your own property is never totally preventable,
You're moving the goalposts with this statement. I wasn't talking about "property," I was talking about theft from and damage to vehicles. If a vehicle is locked away in a garage, vandalism and burglary of that vehicle are about as close to to totally preventable as is humanly possible.

Put the car in a locked garage and there's almost no chance that someone's going to boost the laptop from it that you left in the passenger seat. Park it in the driveway with that laptop on the seat and you're daring someone to steal it. I've had 3 neighbors have laptops stolen from vehicles parked in the driveway. They all have garages that they weren't using. I just don't get how someone can be that careless.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:22 PM

314 posts, read 834,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If a vehicle is locked away in a garage, vandalism and burglary of that vehicle are about as close to to totally preventable as is humanly possible.
I'll give you that one but your previous statement was that one "forfeits their right to complain" if they don't park in the garage is asinine. So if I get my car broken in to at HEB or Wal-Mart do I forfeit my right to complain because I took it out of the garage?

I hate it when people blame the victim.

Anyway, I think I get more enjoyment from my garage than my cars would:

Last edited by AFMike; 10-03-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 PM

520 posts, read 785,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMike View Post
I'll give you that one but your previous statement was that one "forfeits their right to complain" if they don't park in the garage is asinine. So if I get my car broken in to at HEB or Wal-Mart do I forfeit my right to complain because I took it out of the garage?

I hate it when people blame the victim.

Anyway, I think I get more enjoyment from my garage than my cars would:

Totally off subject, butis that a Mame box you have attached to that arcade cabinet?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 PM

314 posts, read 834,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
Totally off subject, butis that a Mame box you have attached to that arcade cabinet?
Yup

Old 10-03-2014, 10:48 PM

838 posts, read 1,215,550 times
I can't rep you anymore Mike or I would. That garage looks awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio