Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 AM

61,901 posts, read 87,406,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat1 View Post
Been here a year and had my truck stolen and almost my motorcycle the other day..I've seen cars on bricks with all wheels gone when I head to work in the morning

You got people that just drive around looking for anything to steal
I live on the north side too..West Ave and Blanco ..

I don't trust anyone in this town anymore..

Crime rate here is real bad and getting worse..and cops are never around seems like

just a word to the wise..

Eddie
Isn't that a common sense? You live in a big city - you lock your house, your car and don't leave anything valuable to be taken away.
I think this apply to any bigger city, not only San Antonio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Isn't that a common sense? You live in a big city - you lock your house, your car and don't leave anything valuable to be taken away.
I think this apply to any bigger city, not only San Antonio...
You are right, however our truck was locked when it got stolen.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,359,018 times
It has always been strange to me the difference between Blanco and West vs Blanco and Bitters.

Looking at most maps of area neighborhoods on the North side I would definitely stay north of Wurzbach Parkway when looking to rent or own.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,793,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
First off, that's not really the "north side" so don't claim it as such. Second, anecdotal evidence can be matched with other anecdotal evidence. I've never had my vehicle stole, never seen cars on bricks and I lived south of 90 for a great number of years.

Who's evidence is more correct? Neither. They're are own.

Hello, I used to sleep.with a door unlocked and I.was never scared and I lived near highlands high school. Look up where that's located.
It is pretty rare but I have seen cars on wood blocks or bricks before and it seems to happen to people that spend money on rims that cost more than the car. Who would be crazy enough to do that? Well I will leave it up to you to figure that out.

I have had my car broken into when I lived off babcock and 1604 and also in the medical center where I currently live.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,491,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
First off, that's not really the "north side" so don't claim it as such.
How is it not the north side? It's directly north of downtown.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,972,974 times
I think it is generally referred to as the north central part of town, but yeah, it is of course on the north side. Just because long time residents don't refer to it as such does not mean that that is not what it is.

Now............. I lived in the apts directly behind the HEB at Blanco and West for 18 months moving out a year ago, and never had any problems, nor did I feel unsafe at any time.

As for parking in your driveway being an advertisement for you not being at home.............. huh? Considering how many people here cannot park in their garages because they have turned into their storage closets, many here always park in their drives. I don't see how that signals not being at home, in fact, I would think it would be the opposite. I do park in my garage, but have known people elsewhere who sometimes ask neighbors to park their extra vehicles in their driveway while they are gone so it looks like someone is at home.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
As for parking in your driveway being an advertisement for you not being at home.............. huh? Considering how many people here cannot park in their garages because they have turned into their storage closets, many here always park in their drives. I don't see how that signals not being at home, in fact, I would think it would be the opposite. I do park in my garage, but have known people elsewhere who sometimes ask neighbors to park their extra vehicles in their driveway while they are gone so it looks like someone is at home.
I think I understand the other poster's point well enough to explain it. Let's say you have 1 vehicle and you always park it outside the garage. You're home when the vehicle is parked there and you're not home when the vehicle is not parked there. If I was a burglar, I'd be planning my caper for a time when the vehicle is not there.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM

302 posts, read 1,157,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
You sort of anwered your own query. That's my point exactly. Those who make a habit of parking in their driveway need to maintain the appearance of someone being home. If you habitually park in the driveway, and a criminal is observing. You're announcing your schedule and rolling out the welcome mat.

Like you, I always park in the garage. Ever happen to notice where your tires leave faint tracks going right up to and under your garage door? Yep, a crook will see that too and have to investigate further. (or move on to a more ideal target) Yes, I could be away at work for the day, or I could very well be at home cleaning my guns in the living room.

*edit* Just saw Bo's post.. Yep, exactly!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,972,974 times
Okay, okay! I see what you mean. :-)

Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
I'm the opposite about parking in the garage. My husband will go through phases where he insists on parking one vehicle in the garage. Then it looks like no one is home during the day when he leaves for work. I want a car in the driveway when I'm home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio