Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Status: "It's great to be an American today!" (set 2 days ago)

52,835 posts, read 48,324,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
But apparently retailers don't think people on the SE side read. No bookstores. I'd even accept a big box bookstore just to have anything.

Oh, that's got to change. It has to. With that list of tenants, a Barnes and Noble is certain to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM

454 posts, read 510,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
25 years ago? Just 4 years ago that area had nothing. If you look at the first picture eliminate everything except HEB, Valero Cornerstore, Hollywood Video, a pawn shop, Burger King and I believe the Whataburger and Wash Tub. That was all that was there just four years ago when I first got here. Seven businesses, that's it.
In 2002, I went to the Fiesta Rugby Tournament at Brooks - the fields are around the back side, so you go allllll the way down Goliad. I was new to SA and staying int he Medical Area. I stopped at that HEB for beer and felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. A few years later and I'm working at BCB, that's my 'local' HEB, and even then there wasn't much. Since 2005 it's gone insane.

I honestly don't like that section. It's awful for traffic. I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. I tried just parking in one place and walking between stores once. Hah. It's not far, but having to dodge cars speeding thru the parking lot was not fun.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 PM

454 posts, read 510,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Oh, that's got to change. It has to. With that list of tenants, a Barnes and Noble is certain to follow.

Well, my fantasy is to open a bookstore/wine bar in one of the old houses along S. Presa in Southtown.

But it's no more than a fantasy unless I win the lottery.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM

925 posts, read 1,239,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
Not only that but we can't get a craft store over here either. I was at Michaels and the manager or whoever she was said Michaels would NEVER build a store over on the Southside. At least Hobby Lobby said they would consider it when I emailed them...lol
I'd ignore what a local store manager has to say in terms of company plans.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,445,512 times
Quote:
But apparently retailers don't think people on the SE side read. No bookstores. I'd even accept a big box bookstore just to have anything.

Has anyone been to this intersection? Have you experienced the traffic/gridlock that already exists? No, it's not 1604/281, but that doesn't make it much better. I don't mind more shops, but why more of the same? There's already Best Buy, why Circuit City? There's already Office Depot, why Office Max?

Welcome to the glorious suburbs.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I don't mind more shops, but why more of the same? There's already Best Buy, why Circuit City? There's already Office Depot, why Office Max?
Well, that'd be like arguing "Why Walmart when there's Target and HEB." The thing is, these stores want to be there, they want to pay to be there. I doubt the developer is going to say "no" to a store/restaurant wanting to be part of your development. I think it's fine that there will be another electronic store in the BCB area and another office supply store as well. The JC Penney should do really well too.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
In 2002, I went to the Fiesta Rugby Tournament at Brooks - the fields are around the back side, so you go allllll the way down Goliad. I was new to SA and staying int he Medical Area. I stopped at that HEB for beer and felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. A few years later and I'm working at BCB, that's my 'local' HEB, and even then there wasn't much. Since 2005 it's gone insane.

I honestly don't like that section. It's awful for traffic. I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. I tried just parking in one place and walking between stores once. Hah. It's not far, but having to dodge cars speeding thru the parking lot was not fun.
You're right, nothing major happened to that area until 2005. I think all that was there from what I said before was the Target.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:23 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,715,351 times
Quote:
25 years ago? Just 4 years ago that area had nothing. If you look at the first picture eliminate everything except HEB, Valero Cornerstore, Hollywood Video, a pawn shop, Burger King and I believe the Whataburger and Wash Tub. That was all that was there just four years ago when I first got here. Seven businesses, that's it.

FYI, the Walgreens you see is on the original site of the Burger King I mentioned above. A year and a half ago Burger King sold their land to Walgreens, closed and built just across the road where they are now in the aerial picture above.
Actually, the 25 year was covering all of Military Drive. I used to live in Kelly AFB base housing and Military Drive was where we shopped. You're right about the Brooks AFB area. There was nothing there.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 PM

469 posts, read 1,161,069 times
That's true. I used to work for Family Christian Stores and they also claimed they wouldn't come over to the southside too but there over here now.

Quote:
I'd ignore what a local store manager has to say in terms of company plans.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:05 AM

355 posts, read 1,380,127 times
I dont know if you know but there is actually a bookstore already at southpark mall. Its very similar to the one at rivercenter mall, actually i think its the same store....but a bigger bookstore would be nice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio