Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
This is my dream home!! I have been in love with this house since I was 9. When I'm rich, I'm going to try to buy this home and I will do whatever it takes or at least build a replica. LOL
Ever seen the White House replica over in Alamo Heights on Cave Rd?

Map - Google Sightseeing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM

38 posts, read 89,706 times
I heard somewhere that what everybody is calling the "Gecu" or "Gillespie" House was actually the "Spencer" house. This makes sense because "Spencer Lane" runs from Fredricksburg Road back that direction, and would have gone towards the house prior to I-10 coming through that area. While there was a smaller house that was either moved or torn down as a part of the Wallmart openinig, this was a much bigger 3-story house with a full basement (which I never quite had the stones to go into, even though some friends did -- once). It was incredibly spooky, even during daylight hours (and especially at night, which is when we were usually there). If I remember correctly, the servant's quarters (which was two stories plus) was used as a haunted house sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, and the house itself burned down a little after that. It was a GREAT place to seriously scare people when working as a team (i.e., pre-positioned friends, "faulty" flashlights, etc.). Also, it had great places to hide when the police inevitably showed up. I would love it if there were pictures of the house in its original condition. Anyone know of any?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:07 PM

413 posts, read 1,404,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Ever seen the White House replica over in Alamo Heights on Cave Rd?

Map - Google Sightseeing
yes I have. I actually use to have an apartment in the Alamo Heights area and would purposely drive by it just to brighten my day.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,450 times
Anyone remember Vance View Stables? What is there now? I used to spend summers there.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie.B View Post
Anyone remember Vance View Stables? What is there now? I used to spend summers there.
Where was that located?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM

187 posts, read 946,159 times
Default FB group on Midget Mansion Very informative

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53893978423/

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM

187 posts, read 946,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjp7983 View Post
I heard somewhere that what everybody is calling the "Gecu" or "Gillespie" House was actually the "Spencer" house. This makes sense because "Spencer Lane" runs from Fredricksburg Road back that direction, and would have gone towards the house prior to I-10 coming through that area. While there was a smaller house that was either moved or torn down as a part of the Wallmart openinig, this was a much bigger 3-story house with a full basement (which I never quite had the stones to go into, even though some friends did -- once). It was incredibly spooky, even during daylight hours (and especially at night, which is when we were usually there). If I remember correctly, the servant's quarters (which was two stories plus) was used as a haunted house sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, and the house itself burned down a little after that. It was a GREAT place to seriously scare people when working as a team (i.e., pre-positioned friends, "faulty" flashlights, etc.). Also, it had great places to hide when the police inevitably showed up. I would love it if there were pictures of the house in its original condition. Anyone know of any?
Appreciate the lead. Spencer house may help in finding info.

With your help I located photos and made a fb group. Though it appears to be called the Gillespie mansion repeatedly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/390597487620259/

Last edited by maluminse; 02-14-2012 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: add fb group.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM

16 posts, read 51,146 times
Quote:
I too used to go to Vance View Stables. I remember there used to be an old abandoned house on the other side of the trees beyond the large ring and the dressage ring. Does anyone remember that? I rode at Vance View sometime between 1980-1982. I do know that it was torn down and something like a Walmart or Home Depot (not sure) was put in it's place. That makes me so sad.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 51,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechef View Post
Does anyone remember the "Fat Farm" out off of 281 a few miles North of 1604?
I also used to go to the "Fat Farm". I do remember one time we were in the car parked talking and probably drinking beer and we kept hearing knocking sounds on the outside of the vehicle. We got totally freaked out and high tailed it out of there. I also remember that there was something tall growing on both sides of the road you would exit and that it was creepy to drive in and out of there. I do remember going inside one time and it was very creepy. Lots of trash and graffiti everywhere. I don't live in SA anymore but whenever I am home and happen to drive that way I always wish I could remember where the turn off is for that road. I am sure something else is on that property now though.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

50 posts, read 83,833 times
Quote:
The property where Vance View Stables was located belonged to the Gillespie family. It was sold in 2002 and is now a shopping center anchored by WalMart. The family residence was moved to a newly purchased ranch in Kendall County after the death of Mr. Gillespie. I believe the original owners of the house was a family named Vance. One of their daughters married Frank Gillespie. Vance View was a beautiful place. My daughter took her first riding lessons at Vance View and also got her first horse while there. She also spent some time at the Gillespie house in the mid to late 80s. It makes me so sad to drive by on Vance Jackson now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio