Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,037,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Tagging. Graffiti is artistic in nature. Tagging is some youth with too much time on their hands and zero respect for other people's property.
In my mind the only reason you would even say that is because you are part of the problem (meaning you have done it or are still doing it) and try justifying what is not okay. I could give a crap if you call it Tagging or Graffiti it is the same crap. Destroying someone else's property.

People who are doing it should stay at their own house and tag/grafitti their own walls and fences not other peoples property or businesses. As someone said previous to me... if it happens over at my place and I see it... they will probably be wheeled out on a stretcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,910,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
In my mind the only reason you would even say that is because you are part of the problem (meaning you have done it or are still doing it) and try justifying what is not okay. I could give a crap if you call it Tagging or Graffiti it is the same crap. Destroying someone else's property.

People who are doing it should stay at their own house and tag/grafitti their own walls and fences not other peoples property or businesses. As someone said previous to me... if it happens over at my place and I see it... they will probably be wheeled out on a stretcher.
Chances are you will be sending a juvenile to the hospital in your imaginary little scenario.

On another note, and I know it is not SA, but what is up with the graffiti on that building on Spring St. and Bowery?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,837,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Woah there nellie...

No one is saying that putting graffiti or 'tagging' private property without permission is art. We all know that's illegal and should be stopped. With a lot of what you said, you're simply making the stretch to vilify a whole group of people who legitimately helped start and continue its artistic merit... And yes, graffiti art is a real thing and is recognized by places like The Chicago Art Institute, The Met, the Tate Modern and others.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Might as well delete my whole response since you took away all of the actual info I posted about the real artists behind the movement.

BN

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,074,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

Doubt its going to happen at your place (they'll probably be gone before you see it anyway if it does). ...and what's with all of the threats from people on this SA forum? First, we had the girl who's going to "get up on her neighbor's roof and take target practice" (knowing this town, she's probably too fat to even make it up there) and now another (if it happens at my place, and I see it, they'll probably be wheeled out on a stretcher)...what ever happened to "speak softly and carry a big stick".... forum is full of threats.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 11,922,528 times
I think you're seeing people fed up with the status quo.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 AM

I agree....but people have been saying "they're sick and tired of xxx and xxx" for years now. I know I've been sick and tired of it forever. Telling us what they plan to do, isn't the way forward. They are seemingly preaching to the choir here. Probably just frustrated.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,910,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I think you're seeing people fed up with the status quo.
Yet those of us who live in high crime areas do not want to shoot anyone much less juveniles. Something is wrong with the thinking of those who want to shoot others.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Yet those of us who live in high crime areas do not want to shoot anyone much less juveniles. Something is wrong with the thinking of those who want to shoot others.
We've had decades, and program after program of doing it the way you suggest....clinics, special areas set aside for those with no sense of community so they have to destroy the property of others......all to no avail. I think folks are simply tired of being a victim to some punk with a spray can, and are ready to resort to any means that will make it stop.

I think 99% of 'em aren't WANTING to shoot someone - they're simply fed up enough to DO so. Sometimes that ability to verbalize gives them the release they need (isn't that what we always hear from those wanting to just "get along" - find another form of venting?). Given the technology available today, I'd be doing game cameras to capture the images of those involved, motion sensore tied to water lines that would soak whoever is trying to do the tagging, and a alarm that would sound when motion is detected.

Oh.....and if you DO catch someone - SUE THEM. If they're minors, include the parents in the lawsuit. Small claims court is cheap to file in, and if nothing else you bring them to the attention of the legal system.

But yeah - it's time to put an end to the trashing of the neighborhoods by a few scum!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
......and one other thing......dude, I grew up on John Page - my first house was over off of Marbach/Military, so don't try to make yourself sound all noble because you live in a high crime area. If you do, then it's YOUR FAULT. Because in my old neighborhoods, we were left alone, simply because we had each others' backs, and if you messed with OUR stuff, you would NOT like the results. We didn't sit behind curtains and pontificate about how "morally superior" we were....we kicked the riffraff out. But, that DID take time, effort, and a willingness to get physically involved if necessary.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We've had decades, and program after program of doing it the way you suggest....clinics, special areas set aside for those with no sense of community so they have to destroy the property of others......all to no avail. I think folks are simply tired of being a victim to some punk with a spray can, and are ready to resort to any means that will make it stop.

I think 99% of 'em aren't WANTING to shoot someone - they're simply fed up enough to DO so. Sometimes that ability to verbalize gives them the release they need (isn't that what we always hear from those wanting to just "get along" - find another form of venting?). Given the technology available today, I'd be doing game cameras to capture the images of those involved, motion sensore tied to water lines that would soak whoever is trying to do the tagging, and a alarm that would sound when motion is detected.

Oh.....and if you DO catch someone - SUE THEM. If they're minors, include the parents in the lawsuit. Small claims court is cheap to file in, and if nothing else you bring them to the attention of the legal system.

But yeah - it's time to put an end to the trashing of the neighborhoods by a few scum!
I agree with what you're saying here. Just don't know if really anything is a deterrent anymore, enough so as to make it stop. Shooting, suing, soaking ... How about stripping them down and dropping them off in the middle of nowhere....hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio