Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM

501 posts, read 949,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't think CSK is one person. I think it's their acronym for something profound, like Crips "Something" Kings. Lord knows what the "S" stands for but pretty sure it's important and we all need to see it everywhere.
CSK is a tagging crew. The K stands for Krew. They're punks. Bottomline.

It's not hang related. No way would Crips and Kings be used to form a initialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,428,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You guys need BB guns!
LOL shhh~don't encourage the naysayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Tagging. Graffiti is artistic in nature. Tagging is some youth with too much time on their hands and zero respect for other people's property.
I'm sorry, but it's ALL the same to me...and apparently a buncha other peeps. Let's not try to P.C. this up.

Graffiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Graffiti | Define Graffiti at Dictionary.com

Graffiti - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,857,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Tagging. Graffiti is artistic in nature. Tagging is some youth with too much time on their hands and zero respect for other people's property.
No - it's vandalism. I'm SO freakin' tired of people trying to justify the punks out there with cans of spray paint and NO parental supervision it's not funny.

"Tag" *my* property, and you WILL regret it, one way or another.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 PM

500 posts, read 970,903 times
I totally agree with the prior comment. Graffiti, Tagging, it's all vandalism. Bottom line it's a punk with a can of spray paint defacing property which doesn't belong to them.

I don't care if it looks like the freaking Mona Lisa. If it is applied on property without the owners' approval, it's vandalism plain and simple, and by definition, offensive. If it's displayed in a gallery, on the wall of a business who's approved of it, or some defined public place, fine. It's not my cup of tea, but art is in the eye of the beholder, so knock yourself out.

We all know that sanctioned graffiti represents around 1/10th of one percent of what is out there. The rest is criminal. To attempt to rationalize this behavior as "artistic in nature" is absolutely ludicrous.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,823,792 times
Since it's a property crime I think there's little impetus from a law enforcement standpoint to really do anything about it.

I thought SA had a curfew?

The city used to have video cameras that could be set up just about anywhere, I think to combat illegal dumping. It might be useful for areas that are tagged chronically.

People need to be taught from a young age that it's vandalism not art. But I guess that's the crux of it right? Parents not teaching their kids right/wrong who in turn become young thugs. For the under-18 wannabe's do the parents deserve to be punished as well? I'm leaning towards saying 'yes'.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM

229 posts, read 474,380 times
Here's what I am thinking. If a few of these criminals were SHOT, that would one hell of a deterrent. And not with a BB gun, either.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Since it's a property crime I think there's little impetus from a law enforcement standpoint to really do anything about it.

I thought SA had a curfew?

The city used to have video cameras that could be set up just about anywhere, I think to combat illegal dumping. It might be useful for areas that are tagged chronically.

People need to be taught from a young age that it's vandalism not art. But I guess that's the crux of it right? Parents not teaching their kids right/wrong who in turn become young thugs. For the under-18 wannabe's do the parents deserve to be punished as well? I'm leaning towards saying 'yes'.

Some on this board will tell you that it is a "cultural thing". Therefore, culture = art, because art is subjective.

Those same people will gasp with offense and respond: Oh, on your private property, you say? Well, that sounds like a YOU problem. Not a ME problem. I have to be able to express myself. Artistically.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,280 times
Woah there nellie...

No one is saying that putting graffiti or 'tagging' private property without permission is art. We all know that's illegal and should be stopped. With a lot of what you said, you're simply making the stretch to vilify a whole group of people who legitimately helped start and continue its artistic merit... And yes, graffiti art is a real thing and is recognized by places like The Chicago Art Institute, The Met, the Tate Modern and others.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-18-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Woah there nellie...

No one is saying that putting graffiti or 'tagging' private property without permission is art. We all know that's illegal and should be stopped. With a lot of what you said, you're simply making the stretch to vilify a whole group of people who legitimately helped start and continue its artistic merit... And yes, graffiti art is a real thing and is recognized by places like The Chicago Art Institute, The Met, the Tate Modern and others.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Please.

I'm not talking about what you're talking about.

I think you know that.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-18-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM

500 posts, read 970,903 times
From Merriam Webster:

graffiti (grə-ˈfē-(ˌ)tē) noun
: usu. unauthorized writing or drawing on a public surface

While I will concede that there are artistic differences of opinion as to the merit of Graffiti, I will also say that many of us recognize its origins from decades past. That is our living experience.

So, before the lectures on stereotyping, realize that there is a valid reason that many have the opinion that they do. Experiencing decades of true vandalism tends to color one's opinion, and justifiably so.

One shouldn't expect empathy from those they wouldn't afford the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio