Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

My wife is watching Stephen Spielberg's Amazing Stories series from the mid-1980s on Netflix and just showed me an episode titled Alamo Jobe.

It first aired on 10/20/1985 tells the story of a young defender of the Alamo who gets sent out of the fort during the battle by Colonel Travis to report to a certain General Lefferts on Shuttlecock Road. However, when Jobe leaves the Alamo, he steps out onto modern-day San Antonio Alamo Plaza. I won't share the rest, not to spoil it for anyone.

But the odd thing is nothing looked right to me, so I did a little research and learned that the entire episode was filmed on a backlot of Universal Studies in California and in and around Los Angeles' Old Plaza near Olvera Street!

Some stock footage from 1960 John Wayne film The Alamo was used for some of the battle scenes.

The incomplete facade of the Alamo used had been built for an earlier 1984 film Cloak and Dagger starring Dabney Coleman. That particular movie had actually been filmed in San Antonio, but since the DRT did not allow filming inside the church, the set designers built the facade, plus a nice Alamo interior, which was used in this Amazing Stories episode.

Turns out there is also no Shuttlecock Road in San Antonio, nor was there a General Lefferts involved in the Battle of the Alamo; but it is still an interesting story and anyone who has Netflix should watch it as it is quite enjoyable!

I just wished they had filmed it in SA!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
I saw this when it originally aired. For a child it was a fantastic episode worth pretending you were sick to not go to church so you could stay home alone to watch it.

My favorite episode is No Day At The Beach with Charlie Cheen.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
My wife is watching Stephen Spielberg's Amazing Stories series from the mid-1980s on Netflix and just showed me an episode titled Alamo Jobe.

It first aired on 10/20/1985 tells the story of a young defender of the Alamo who gets sent out of the fort during the battle by Colonel Travis to report to a certain General Lefferts on Shuttlecock Road. However, when Jobe leaves the Alamo, he steps out onto modern-day San Antonio Alamo Plaza. I won't share the rest, not to spoil it for anyone.

But the odd thing is nothing looked right to me, so I did a little research and learned that the entire episode was filmed on a backlot of Universal Studies in California and in and around Los Angeles' Old Plaza near Olvera Street!

Some stock footage from 1960 John Wayne film The Alamo was used for some of the battle scenes.

The incomplete facade of the Alamo used had been built for an earlier 1984 film Cloak and Dagger starring Dabney Coleman. That particular movie had actually been filmed in San Antonio, but since the DRT did not allow filming inside the church, the set designers built the facade, plus a nice Alamo interior, which was used in this Amazing Stories episode.

Turns out there is also no Shuttlecock Road in San Antonio, nor was there a General Lefferts involved in the Battle of the Alamo; but it is still an interesting story and anyone who has Netflix should watch it as it is quite enjoyable!

I just wished they had filmed it in SA!

Cheers! M2
"The Alamo" was shot 125 miles west in Bracketville where they get considerably less rain. Sometimes I think that is the reason that people think of San Antonio as some sort of desert town, because of the landscape shots coming from that Movie.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
"The Alamo" was shot 125 miles west in Bracketville where they get considerably less rain. Sometimes I think that is the reason that people think of San Antonio as some sort of desert town, because of the landscape shots coming from that Movie.
Yep, I've been out to Alamo Village (it really is out in the middle of nowhere), but it's no longer open to the public anymore (their website, which oddly still works, says "2010 Summer Tourist Hours" )

Wikipedia has some of the history behind the place.

But an Express-News article from almost two years ago said it was closed "indefinitely." Apparently at that time the owners were looking for a buyer to "reinvest in the site and reopen it." This was the press release...

Quote:
ALAMO VILLAGE CLOSED

After a valiant attempt to keep Alamo Village available to visitors on a limited basis, the family has made the painful decision to close it permanently. This will be effective immediately.

After being totally closed to the public on July 1, 2009, due to the death of owner and rancher Virginia Webb Shahan, Alamo Village was re-opened in March on a reduced schedule.
Moderator cut: see note

Cheers! M2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted article require posting a snippet (2-3 sentences) only w/link only per TOS

Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 AM

108 posts, read 196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The incomplete facade of the Alamo used had been built for an earlier 1984 film Cloak and Dagger starring Dabney Coleman.
You do know the top-billed star in "Cloak and Dagger" is San Antonio's own Henry Thomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio