Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 PM

105 posts, read 228,762 times

Advertisements

I moved to this area a few months ago, and while I don't much care for it (though it is convenient so that I can take the bus instead of driving to get around), I'd like to know my about the area.

I've only been about 2 times to the Babcock & Huebner intersection before I visited the area to check out residences--about 7 years ago and several months before the new HEB opened (I actually had to stop in the now-closed HEB in that shopping center), but don't know much about this area except how it is now. Some other thread have eluded to age being a reason the area doesn't look so great, others also point to money.

Has this section really been "completely" developed by the 90's? Some residential areas claim that they've started development in the 80's but didn't finish until 20 years later. Some of the places (primarily north of Huebner) look fairly decent, but west of Babcock and south of Huebner, it feels like you have some new developments, but same old nonsense that led to its decline? What was this area like around 1980-2000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
I used to live in the area (grew up there) and it has changed in the last 25+ years, the HEB I would say if I can remember opened in the early to mid 80's (It moved from Bandera-Huebner). But most of the subdivisons have been there about that time.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I can remember eating at a Mexican restaurant near where the Martha's is now back in the early 80's. It might have been Martha's but I'm not certain. There was not much else around there, surprisingly. It seemed like a restaurant in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,245 times
Used to be a burger place called Dundees a lil past there towards Medical. Also the stretch from Huebner towards Fredricksburg used to be wide open spaces. Now it is congested as balls over there.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
My sister moved to San Antonio in 1987 and she lived in that area. There wasn't much out there - it was still a lot of pastures and fallow land. Lots of cow grazing going on out there back then. It really started to become more populated in the mid-'90s with a lot of neighborhoods thrown up fast and cheap in the late '90s and early 2000s.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I can remember eating at a Mexican restaurant near where the Martha's is now back in the early 80's. It might have been Martha's but I'm not certain. There was not much else around there, surprisingly. It seemed like a restaurant in the middle of nowhere.
In the 80's Martha's was in a mobile home on the westerly side of Huebner Rd. It's still owned by the same family, our favorite server there always tells me she remembers me when I was a young boy working across the street and down a ways at Bluebonnet Ranch.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Used to be a burger place called Dundees a lil past there towards Medical. Also the stretch from Huebner towards Fredricksburg used to be wide open spaces. Now it is congested as balls over there.
Yes Dundees was next to the Stop N Go (Now Valero) at Babcock and Eckhert. I used to love that place they had another location on San Pedro before it turned into 281.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM

I remember the Burger King (Now tink a taco) opened in 1987, and there was not much out there but the shopping center.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
In the 80's Martha's was in a mobile home on the westerly side of Huebner Rd. It's still owned by the same family, our favorite server there always tells me she remembers me when I was a young boy working across the street and down a ways at Bluebonnet Ranch.
The one I ate at seems more like the new place. But maybe it was just the area on the left after you walked in. I can remember booths like in a small diner. Maybe they just expanded it after that? Also, when I went it was in a regular storefront building, like it is now.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The one I ate at seems more like the new place. But maybe it was just the area on the left after you walked in. I can remember booths like in a small diner. Maybe they just expanded it after that? Also, when I went it was in a regular storefront building, like it is now.
I left SA in '87 for the military and I think it moved during that time, so pretty sure it's the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio