Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 AM

171 posts, read 311,538 times

Advertisements

On the corner of Babcock and Huebner. The SE Corner there was a diversions game room back in the ninties. Had a strategy game kinda like GO or Othello. Only reason I went to that part of town in those years. Sucked when they closed the Diversions. Owner never transported the game to any of his other locations. Assumed he just sold it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
The one next to Pizza Hut was a fast food chinese place, dont remember the name. They also had one at Blanco-West Ave which is now a dr. office.
It was called Quick-Wok and it was owned by Pillsbury, back when Pillsbury owned Burger King. Once they bought out the original Whopper Burger chain and where allowed to enter the San Antonio market with Burger King, they brought in the Quick-Wok sometime in the 1980's.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Man G I have been going crazy trying to remember the name, thanks.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,802,115 times
I remember that game room and that chinese place. Wasn't Diversions in the same shopping center as the current Babcock Bar?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM

105 posts, read 228,862 times
The idea of fast chinese food (other than Panda Express) feels like such a foreign concept to me.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
I ate there a handful of times, I remember thinking there were mainly hispanic cooks. I am hispanic and thought it was cool, but after eating it I was like not as authentic.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM

178 posts, read 459,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makiten View Post
Also, was Marshall HS open then?
Oh yeah, and had been around for awhile before that. The Jr. High used to be on the same property. I went to 7th grade there but was zoned to the newly built Pat Neff JH the next year. Then back to the HS for the next four years, graduating in '66.

I believe it was originally called Northside HS. Some say the name change came about because newscasters would use the term northside when reporting some youngster's misdeeds. Of course they were using the term to describe what part of town they were reporting but some people must have thought Northside HS sure had a lot of troublemakers.

And yes, we were way out of town, and known as a "kicker" school. Looking back, it was a lot of fun. Don't know exactly where it's boundaries were then but some kids came from way out west along FM 471 and FM 1957. Some of them qualified for special driving permits that allowed them to drive to and from school before they were old enough for a regular license.

Back then, as you drove north on Babcock things began thinning out rapidly once you passed Wurzbach and by the time you got to Hamilton Wolfe Rd. the country was mostly farm & ranch. Even then there was some sort of store or mom & pop place at the Babcock/Huebner/Whitby intersection. Eckhert Rd. deadended into Huebner SW of that intersection instead of crossing like it does now. Somewhere about that time the Methodist hospital complex began to take form and Medical drive came to be.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,825 times
That little "mom and pop place" on the corner where Churches chicken is now, was called Al's Corner. It was a little hole in the wall neighborhood bar. My dad spent plenty of time there...lol. They had horseshoes and a bbq pit out back...I remember having a lot of fun there as a kid. That was the only building on that corner then.

The original Martha's cafe was in a little white building off of Huebner....it is now the "Pyshcic Reader" place. I remember going there with my grandmother and my two siblings back in the early 70's one time....we walked in, sat down at one of their 4 tables and were drooling over the aroma from the kitchen. My grandmother took one look at the menu and told us to get in the car. She refused to pay $1.50 for 3 enchiladas, rice, beans and tortillas. She was let's say...frugal.

Marshall High School has been around since 1949. Back then it was called Northside High School...because it was the only high school on the northside. My parents went there back in the 50's!

I have some pics here somewhere my dad took from atop the Methodist Hospital when they were building it. He shot a few pics of the area north of the hospital towards our house on Prue. Nothing but fields and dairy farms. I'll post them if I can find them.

I need a time machine.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM

178 posts, read 459,069 times
Al's Corner, shoulda' remembered that. And we ate at Martha's in the little white building many times.
On the property where Methodist Hospital is now there were two or three large concrete silos (grain maybe), no longer in use, that had to be demolished before the hospital went up. I'm thinking there were some bad goings on - a murder or body dumped shortly before the silos came down. Other than those structures that was just plain pasture land.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
That little "mom and pop place" on the corner where Churches chicken is now, was called Al's Corner. It was a little hole in the wall neighborhood bar. My dad spent plenty of time there...lol. They had horseshoes and a bbq pit out back...I remember having a lot of fun there as a kid. That was the only building on that corner then.

The original Martha's cafe was in a little white building off of Huebner....it is now the "Pyshcic Reader" place. I remember going there with my grandmother and my two siblings back in the early 70's one time....we walked in, sat down at one of their 4 tables and were drooling over the aroma from the kitchen. My grandmother took one look at the menu and told us to get in the car. She refused to pay $1.50 for 3 enchiladas, rice, beans and tortillas. She was let's say...frugal.

Marshall High School has been around since 1949. Back then it was called Northside High School...because it was the only high school on the northside. My parents went there back in the 50's!

I have some pics here somewhere my dad took from atop the Methodist Hospital when they were building it. He shot a few pics of the area north of the hospital towards our house on Prue. Nothing but fields and dairy farms. I'll post them if I can find them.

I need a time machine.
That reminds me. I flew a model airplane with an 8mm camera on it. I filmed the corner of 1604 and Culebra around 1980. Before Clark was built. I gotta look for it. You can see the home made airstrip in HISTORIC AERIALS web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio