Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times

Advertisements

A professional is someone that gets paid for their services. If a photographer is getting paid for using something they own, are they not entitled to a percentage? It costs money for upkeep to keep that building beautiful. Why should they foot the entire bill for others to have a nice backdrop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
the thing is the fine print...
every day people pass by and take pictures of the church. those are acceptable, but professional pictures require a permit.

just what defines "professional" these days? if i'm taking a picture with a $200 slim camera and you're standing next to me using a $1,000 SLR, does that make the SLR a professional picture?
A professional photo = one in which the photographer is paid. Usually a tourist snapping a photo isn't hiring a professional photographer to do it. This is the case for many sites. It's what helps to keep the place looking nice and photo-worthy.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:32 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Exactly! I was a professional photographer in the Navy because that was my job and I got paid for it, but I didn't actually own a camera.. besides, anyone with skills can take an excellent photograph with any camera; you don't have to spend thousands of $ on a DSLR to be a pro..

Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
A professional is someone that gets paid for their services. If a photographer is getting paid for using something they own, are they not entitled to a percentage? It costs money for upkeep to keep that building beautiful. Why should they foot the entire bill for others to have a nice backdrop?
this is where I get confused then...doesn't the church own the church?
the money is to keep the upkeep of the plaza, not the church.

or am I mistaken? honest question...

Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
this is where I get confused then...doesn't the church own the church?
the money is to keep the upkeep of the plaza, not the church.

or am I mistaken? honest question...
Maybe when the plaza went in, it affected or obscured the property line for which land belongs to the church? Surely every place that used to be street now belongs to the plaza. Maybe the sidewalk in front of the church is also considered part of the plaza? Or perhaps the issue is that your photographer must stand on plaza property (and impede other uses of that part of the plaza) to photograph you in front of the church?

The folks who operate the cathedral and who help with the inside details of your wedding plan might have a better explanation.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM

952 posts, read 2,633,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Exactly! I was a professional photographer in the Navy because that was my job and I got paid for it, but I didn't actually own a camera.. besides, anyone with skills can take an excellent photograph with any camera; you don't have to spend thousands of $ on a DSLR to be a pro..
+1

Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
I'm sure the admin people at SF can answer your questions, but I'd guess the inner courtyard and the steps are part of the Church, the rest belongs to the city/Main Plaza.

FWIW - we got married at Mission San Jose and didn't have to pay extra for pictures outside the church on the mission grounds. Maybe something to consider. I think, but am not sure, that if you go there for pre-wedding photoshoots you may have to get a permit, but not for pics after the wedding.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Maybe when the plaza went in, it affected or obscured the property line for which land belongs to the church? Surely every place that used to be street now belongs to the plaza. Maybe the sidewalk in front of the church is also considered part of the plaza? Or perhaps the issue is that your photographer must stand on plaza property (and impede other uses of that part of the plaza) to photograph you in front of the church?

The folks who operate the cathedral and who help with the inside details of your wedding plan might have a better explanation.
(nope)...little help from the cathedral either. long story there, but typically you get a response in 1-2 weeks (and I have phone calls/e-mails to verify)
I think my venting is done, just goes to show the headaches of wedding planning.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

952 posts, read 2,633,987 times
Quote:
just goes to show the headaches of wedding planning.
that's why there's always a wedding planner but i know not everyone can afford a wedding planner

Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
that's why there's always a wedding planner but i know not everyone can afford a wedding planner
bingo...in this economy, i'll take the headache vs. the extra $$$
thanks again fellow cd members!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio