Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,404,874 times

Advertisements

my favorites are the ones that cut in front of you and then pretend like they don't know English when you say something. Luckily several not so nice words are pretty universal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,147 times
Aisles in some HEBs do just seem too small. This problem is compounded by restocking pallets and people who leave their cart in the middle of the aisle. I've seen a whole line of people one after the other down a huge aisle leave their cart in the middle while they look at the inventory on either side - it looked like a shopping cart apocalypse, there was absolutely no way to move down that aisle. As much as humanely possible keep your cart to the side.

However, sometimes there's just TOO MANY PEOPLE at the dang HEB, so no matter what you do you are in someone's way and someone is in your way and it's just unpleasant. At that point there's nothing to do but go to a store that's less crowded or shop at a time when most people are otherwise occupied - later at night or at like 8AM on a Sunday.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,404,874 times
That's another one. I was trying to get by a cart at the Potranco HEB+ that had a woman next to it that I assumed wasn't the driver since she wasn't helping any, but of course it was. I guess nobody had ever asked her how she managed to breathe as stupid as she was, but I sure did...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
I tried going to the grocery stores during regular business hours, taking an odd timed lunch break, to try and avoid the crowds. After a few attempts, I'm convinced that people are using stores (particularly Wal-Mart) as adult day cares for retarded relatives. You've got people aimlessly wandering the aisles with empty carts and the second you stop to look at something, they'll dash over and have to look at the same thing.

If it didn't happen with such regularity I'd think I was imagining things...

Maybe you go to the Walmart my dad shops at. He has short-term memory problems and instead of making a shopping list before he goes, just wanders around and gets packages that look familiar when he sees someone else pick them up

Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,412,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I'm with ya, Texans used to be the most politest people you'd meet; but it seems that over the past few years things have gotten a bit less "civil."
Do you think it is because Texas is attracting so many "Americans" and the real Texans still exist but have been pushed back?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM

464 posts, read 804,679 times
Past few times I've been to area H-E-B's it feels like I've stepped into Thunderdome! "Two men enter, one man leave!"

I've seen varying levels of incivility at different H-E-B's and have noted that the socioeconomics of the area didn't really matter much when I observed bad behavior. I see equal amounts in poorer areas as I do in places like Alon Market and Central Market.

I think society has simply become more toxic. You can blame it on a number of things, from public figures behaving badly, to reality shows and shock jocks who seem to further encourage this type of cutthroat behavior, to simply more competition to find and keep a job and the prevalent fears of losing everything.

Many people also seem to derive a lot of their self-esteem from how they think others view them (gotta be driving the expen$ive car, wearing the $$ clothes, the right neighborhood, etc)

Some studies have shown that people who are more aggressive and hostile tend to have a higher degree of depression in general.

Seems it's far easier to fall into the cesspool of bad manners than it is to resist it; that taking the time to say "please", "excuse me" and "thank you" may seem fruitless when dealing with rude people, but at the very least you've taken the moral high ground. And if you're with your children even more important to set the right example. This is simply common sense stuff, but nowadays it seems more nostalgic and "uncommon".

This is just my theory, but I believe that many rude people view civility and manners as a sign of weakness. And as I mentioned above, they wouldn't want someone to think they're "weak" by being polite. Hence the perpetuation of rudeness and hostilities. Ay!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 PM

581 posts, read 1,188,560 times
I despise shopping during normal business hours. I often find myself shopping the dreaded WalMart only to be able to have the place pretty much to myself at 0230. I'm a night owl but nature so it works for me. But I had to go to HEB today since Target didn't carry what my mom so desperately needed and while it was crazy packed, it wasn't too horrible. I got the few nudges and rudeness but nothing too crazy. The parking lot, on the other hand, was downright stupid. I went with my grandfather and mom. My grandfather is physically handicapped after the few strokes he's had. Walks rather slowly with a walker and we try to be aware of how it will effect others. I couldn't avoid not going without him so he had to come. We parked close but not at a handicapped spot because there were none available. So, we're trying to get him in, not really bothering anybody, if it weren't for this woman, shouting out of her car to hurry up and that there were people waiting on us. Honking and telling me to hurry up. Really?! Can you not see a walker? It's not like I parked in the middle of the aisle. I'm in my own friggin' space. Plus we had just gotten there. My mom's putting up the groceries and I'm getting my grandpa in. She's waiting there with a line built up behind her. So me, being the jerk I am, proceeded to put everyone in. Then told them to turn on the air, stay put and I walked my happy butt back inside. Got some drinks and stuff from the snack bar and walked back out to my car. Didn't see Ms. Huffy Pants but I wanted too. I wanted to show her where her stick shift could go.

I know, of course, this makes me as bad as everyone that I say appears rude. But man, my Mama taught me well but sometimes, I don't know what else to do...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM

160 posts, read 526,153 times
Something that helps is to sort the grocery list in an order where you can sweep through the store in one direction. It really cuts down on the time spent in the store dodging carts.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:08 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,505,112 times
As others have already pointed out, one of the things that ticks me off are the rude people that try and shove me out of the way when I'm looking at something. You are NOT going to move me, unless your bigger than 6-4 and 245lbs. Wait your turn, or I will be just as rude.

People that block the isles are always a problem. Seems like they are off in their own little world and are unaware of other people around them. Or they just don't give a damn. Most of the time when they realize they are blocking the isle, they will say excuse me and pull over to the side...but not always. They for some reason get annoyed when I pick up the back of their cart and move it for them while telling them I hope you don't drive the same way you shop!

I usually shop at the new HEB on Babcock. Yes, they made the isles bigger, but their new carts are huge...which defeats the purpose of wider isles. The real problem is still the rude and inconsiderate people though.
Like someone stated before, the people stocking the shelves are always blocking traffic.

And why, oh why do people have to yack on the phone when shopping all the time? I can understand a quick call to see if there is something else you need to get or whatever, but I have seen and heard almost every time I go, someone flapping their jaws the entire time they are in the store....from the minute they walk in, until after they check out. It makes everyone else's shopping more difficult, because you are not paying attention to what you are doing, and holding up other people.....just like when you drive. I can hear these people several isles away. I really dont need to hear about your latest conquest from the club the night before, or hear you talking trash about one of your baby-daddies. Hang up and shop already.

And, will someone tell me why some people grab a cart from outside, walk in the store 5 feet and stop? Then they open their purse, fiddle thru all their coupons, or whatever it is they do? Other people are trying to get in...pull over to the side and get out of the way!!

Finally, why do some people go up to the checkout counter, unload their groceries....watch each item carefully as it's scanned, and then when the total is rung up....look at the cashier like they dont know what to do? All of a sudden they wake up, open their purse or wallet and slowly write out a check, search for cash, or fumble for their credit/debit/lonestar card? You've been in line for 10 minutes....can't you have your method of payment ready when they ring it up? Wake up!!

Ok...im done for now. I'm off to the store. Where's my stun gun?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 PM

443 posts, read 955,518 times
I can't resist commenting, as you seem to ponder the decline as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Past few times I've been to area H-E-B's it feels like I've stepped into Thunderdome! "Two men enter, one man leave!"

I've seen varying levels of incivility at different H-E-B's and have noted that the socioeconomics of the area didn't really matter much when I observed bad behavior. I see equal amounts in poorer areas as I do in places like Alon Market and Central Market.

I think society has simply become more toxic. You can blame it on a number of things, from public figures behaving badly, to reality shows and shock jocks who seem to further encourage this type of cutthroat behavior, to simply more competition to find and keep a job and the prevalent fears of losing everything.
First, I think you can agree that the denser the population, the faster the societal decline. Crime figure and a visit to any large city will show you that. If you've lived in SA for a length of time you can go back to look at the population increase over time and track through your memory how things have changed for the worse.

Shock jocks are just a market sign, although it does help cultivate negative attitudes and exacerbate the problem. The larger problem is the fact that young adults are being turned loose without a solid moral background, or sense of responsibility to society in general.

Again, in larger populations the pace is faster and many times both parents are working; there is little connection between neighbors and families are dispersed. Family time these days means chauffeuring your kids between one activity to another.

I can't help but feel politicians are a reflection of the population they serve. I don't know how old you are, but if you remember the shock of Watergate, that's nothing compared to what gets a pass now. A morally compromised people tend to be much more understanding of the failings in their leaders.

Heck, we almost elected a drug dealer here as DA. Here's a guy, no matter how reformed, who couldn't even qualify to be a police officer and people want him to be the one heading up jurisprudence in this city? (I'll leave comment regarding the current DA to others)

Quote:
Many people also seem to derive a lot of their self-esteem from how they think others view them (gotta be driving the expen$ive car, wearing the $$ clothes, the right neighborhood, etc)

Some studies have shown that people who are more aggressive and hostile tend to have a higher degree of depression in general.
Yeah vacuous, self-absorbed people tend to lean towards narcissism, which doesn't leave much room for you and your cart at the local market.

Does one really need a study to know this type of stuff?

Quote:
Seems it's far easier to fall into the cesspool of bad manners than it is to resist it; that taking the time to say "please", "excuse me" and "thank you" may seem fruitless when dealing with rude people, but at the very least you've taken the moral high ground. And if you're with your children even more important to set the right example. This is simply common sense stuff, but nowadays it seems more nostalgic and "uncommon".
It's the stuff which lubricates society. It's always initially easier to take the low road, but you're still headed downhill.

I totally agree with not allowing yourself to be dragged down. The fact is, whatever you do is what defines you as a person. However, getting anyone BUT a child to understand that isn't easy.

Quote:
This is just my theory, but I believe that many rude people view civility and manners as a sign of weakness. And as I mentioned above, they wouldn't want someone to think they're "weak" by being polite. Hence the perpetuation of rudeness and hostilities. Ay!
I completely agree; it does seem that the general perception is that being brutish and pushy is to be esteemed as a sign of virility and power. Now just figure a way to turn it all around before things self-correct by completely bottoming out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio