Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,714,779 times

Advertisements

More all-around thicker skin that is not so easily-offended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,339,956 times
AMEN @ "more black people!" lol

Send them North please...It's hard being the only black household under 30 yrs old in my neighborhood.

Most of my black friends are either out North West... Bandera/1604, in the Stone Oak area, or out near Randolph AFB.

A soul food restaurant North Central sure would be nice

Afrocentric community book store/cultural center would also be nice.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,885,264 times
  • A municipal wireless network like the one Google has in place in Mountain View, California.
  • Investment in our public school infrastructure which means not relying on portable buildings at all.
  • The original Alamo walls and then turning the area into a living history destination instead of the pseudo-shrine it claims itself to be surrounded by tacky tourist traps.
  • Emissions testing because it is good for the environment and I hate having to suck up peoples faulty exhaust fumes if I happen to be rolling with the windows down or have the AC set so it is circulating fresh air.
  • Greater policing of water wasters so they could at least have a squad drive around town and take action against businesses whose sprinklers run off excessively onto the street and also those that still turn on after it has rained a good amount.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
AMEN @ "more black people!" lol
Kool.......

Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
Faster construction. In high school, it took them the whole school year to widen and add a middle lane to a short stretch of Bitters. They've been working on a quarter mile of Nacogdoches Rd. outside of 410 for well over a year. I don't know if Zarzamora @ I-35 is done now because I've been avoiding it, but the last time I drove there, the street was still torn up with no progress and it had been like that for at least a year.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM

810 posts, read 1,427,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Faster construction. In high school, it took them the whole school year to widen and add a middle lane to a short stretch of Bitters. They've been working on a quarter mile of Nacogdoches Rd. outside of 410 for well over a year. I don't know if Zarzamora @ I-35 is done now because I've been avoiding it, but the last time I drove there, the street was still torn up with no progress and it had been like that for at least a year.
Welcome to San Antonio where things move really slow here.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,885,264 times
Maybe it would not be as slow if they worked on one area at a time?

A commuter should not have to be able to count on his fingers the number of construction projects and then do mental calculus to configure routes that avoid different road projects.

In either case most private projects come up overnight so I do not see why public ones cannot ever be done the same....especially if you know...for whatever reason they want to tear up a street now it is likely they will just do it all over again within two years because someone had a change of mind on how it should have been done (stripes, lights, shoulders, etc...)

Old 09-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Default List of things San Antonio is missing:

*LESS* impatient drivers who, for their own sinister reasons, feel that they have to intimidatingly-tailgate you {or they can TRY to intimidate, ha} for so long only for them to finally overtake you in some "skillfully-heroic" speedy pass-around.....only for you to, like The Tortoise, slowly-but-surely eventually arrive literally at their posterior end while they are waiting for the redlight to turn green?

Happened to me several times today here and there; 4 or 5 impatient passers right on my a*$ for a while {because I am pretty much a speed limit adherent, ESPECIALLY in School Zones} who then overtook me in a huffy rush {one on double no-passing lines}.....only for me a minute or so later to finally come to a stop right behind them at a redlight.

*tsk* *tsk* "Way to go, people.....embarrassing, ain't it?"

Heh, heh, heh.......

Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 AM

191 posts, read 454,988 times
Well, according to the AAP we need a Tier I Pediatric hospital. It's the only major city in the state without one.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM

11 posts, read 20,013 times
I honestly don't know why people are dogging our infrastructure; sure our streets have a few potholes, but seriously, our freeway system here is better than any other city I've lived in (I'm South Texan but let's just say I've traveled a lot! Lol) Our rush hour here is NOTHING compared to Dallas (lived 9 years), Austin (relatives lived 30+ years), Houston, Minneapolis (lived 8 years), Calgary (lived 18 summers), LA, or any other city I've been to. Heck, even my hometown of Lockhart has more traffic on 183 going through town than Blanco does! (Now, the Quarry or 1604, on the other hand, well, I can't help that.) But I digress

I know I could really use:
* An IKEA (don't laugh!)
* A Fry's (no snickering here either )
* A Big Bowl (great MSG-free Asian food!)
* More alternative bookstores
* More Wicca/New Age shops (my hippie side is kinda showing)
* A Dillard's clearance store (DFW has one and it was heaven, but I think that's the only one in the country, so this might not be a fair request Lol)
* A really great massage therapy school that offers fantastic continuing ed credits
* A Whole Foods competitor besides Sun Harvest (the ppl at the Callahagn location aren't exactly warm and fuzzy)
* A big RenFest like Dallas/Houston (although you'll RARELY--OK, NEVER hear me say we need to be more like DFW/Houston!!)
* Apartment complexes in the affordable range who are well-managed and choosy about their residents!

I would say we have too many subwoofers, too much "bling", and too many noisy apartments.

Other than that, I'm really happy. We've got A LOT to be thankful for - the Riverwalk/Alamo/Mercado (yes, we go!), Whole Foods, Independent Thought and Nine Lives bookstores, Half Price Books, Ross, alternative medical practitioners, great used furniture stores, NO TOLL WAYS, gluten-free restaurants (!!), awesome Mexican food, yoga studios, a Nia studio, and a good dollar theater. Yep, we're kinda simple, and we like it that way LOL - consider me happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio