Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,384 times

Advertisements

If we were to move, we'd move for 3 years or so, not permanently (obviously, never say never but that's the plan, at least) so even our older son will be a few years away from bar mitzvah. It would be more important for me to find a nice, welcoming, reform Jewish community so my kids could continue attending a synagogue and make friends through it.
So which neighborhoods should we look into? Coming from a dense urban area, I would not feel comfortable leaving in a rural or even a very suburban area, where you have to drive for a mile to a nearest coffee shop. We are looking for excellent schools, proximity to many activities for kids ( sports, music, art classes, etc), being able to walk to at least some places,
and ideally, not too far from good skiing (one of the main reasons we are moving). Ideally, not too far from a reform synagogue with a strong kids program, either. Must be a safe area to live in. Hope it's not too much to ask for
Would really recommend some suggestions on neighborhoods to look into! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,771,846 times
Ideally the area from Foothill Blvd up in the hills would be ideal. They have the largest Jewish community in Utah there in that area. Also a JCC (Jewish community center) with a pool and activities. A very large Reformed Jewish temple just off off Sugarhouse Park area is Kol Ami with classes offered as well as services and lots of activities as well. No doubt preparations for your son's Bar Mitzvah would be easy there. I am also Jewish (Netzarim) so that is what I know about the area and my recommendations based on your needs. I meant to mention in Park City there is now a fantastic large shul there with all the amenities. You can even get Challah for Shabbat in downtown Park City as well. Oh and as far as I'm concerned consider "skibarbie" one of the many "ostriches" I've referred to. They'd rather see their glass half full....in the drought ;-)

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM

85 posts, read 289,910 times
Park City is a good option in that it's very liberal and has many transplants from other parts of the country. I know several people from the northeast. It's unique in that it's technically a rural town, but has tons of amenities and events due to the resorts and tourism. But if you're truly after a more urban experience, I'd probably stick to SLC. Walkable areas here would only consist of Kimball Junction, which has anything you need but is mostly chain stores, or downtown, which can get very crowded and touristy.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM

762 posts, read 2,121,161 times
Stay urban. Stay within Salt Lake City proper, specifically something on the east bench... Yalecrest, Federal Heights (right near the JCC), Upper Avenues, Foothill. Sugar House is nice, but more like an urban "village" than an actual urban area.

SLC's culinary scene is better than the folks on this board would have you believe. Forage, Pago, Martine, Mazza, Zy, Finca, Pallet, Eva, Zest... all excellent local restaurants that can compete with establishments in most other cities. Yes, if you end up out in suburban hell, you're stuck with strip-mall chains. But that's why we urban types prefer downtown SLC for living and entertaining.

Park City is not even remotely urban or walkable. It's nice for a visit, but that's it.

In addition to the excellent school at the JCC, the McGillis School near the University of Utah has a large Jewish student population.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
None of SLC is urban as you know it. There are only a handful of highrise (well, maybe 5 floors) apts in City Creek/Downtown and the rest are 3-4 floors AFAIR.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 19,338 times
Hi Anuta77,

We live in NYC but are relocating to Park City next month. I have never visited PC, but my husband has been at least at dozen times. We weren't looking to leave NY, but a job opportunity popped up -- and after considerable consideration, we are definitely ready for a new adventure and more of an outdoor lifestyle! We are skiers, hikers, bikers, etc. I've done a ton of research, and we picked PC as our "home base" for now because it supposedly the most liberal town in Utah. The PC Mayor is a member of Bloomberg's "Mayors against guns" -- yay! The schools are supposed to be good, but not very diverse combared to NYC -- 25% hispanic, a handful of asian/aa kids. Housing is expensive for utah, but definitely cheaper than the NYC metro area. PC just hosted a "Gay ski week" and a few years ago, the high school valedictorian was openly gay. So we are hoping for a progressive vibe. We do have several "friends of friends" who live in PC, and they absolutely love it. Not sure if this is helpful, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in considering a radical lifestyle change! Good luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
None of SLC is urban as you know it. There are only a handful of highrise (well, maybe 5 floors) apts in City Creek/Downtown and the rest are 3-4 floors AFAIR.
Though it's true SLC isn't "urban" like NYC, there are a few more residential high rises than that:
Promontory (the new City Creek condo building) is 26 floors. American Towers condos is 23 stories. Broadway Towers on 300 South is 14 stories. There are another half-dozen in the double digits.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphlette View Post
I've done a ton of research, and we picked PC as our "home base" for now because it supposedly the most liberal town in Utah.
Park City is one of the most liberal towns in Utah, along with Moab in Grand County. The problem is that relatively tiny PC is but a dot in otherwise VERY conservative Summit County (Coalville, Oakley, Kamas, Francis, etc.) so your liberal bubble is very, very small. I find that the neighboring areas are not too pleased to have "those Park City people" in their county.

Salt Lake City is as liberal as Park City (if not more), is generally more affordable, and is housed within the state's most liberal county; it's not as much of an outlier island as Park City is. While the southern end of Salt Lake County does tend to be more conservative than SLC or PC, even Sandy, Draper, and Cottonwood Heights are vastly more liberal than any other small city in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphlette View Post
The schools are supposed to be good, but not very diverse combared to NYC -- 25% hispanic, a handful of asian/aa kids. Housing is expensive for utah, but definitely cheaper than the NYC metro area. PC just hosted a "Gay ski week" and a few years ago, the high school valedictorian was openly gay. So we are hoping for a progressive vibe.
Schools in Salt Lake are much more diverse, if that's important to you. And ELEVATE, the gay ski weekend, does take place in PC every year, but it's run by an organization out of Santa Monica and consists almost entirely of tourists. The *local* gay ski 'n swim weekend is put on by the ***** Utah Aquatic Club (hence "ski 'n swim") and they're based squarely in SLC... where there are gay bars and gay neighborhoods and gay bed and breakfasts. That's not to say Park City isn't gay friendly--it is--but it's mostly for tourism...there are very few gay residents compared to Salt Lake City.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 19,338 times
Thank you for that info, Zionide! A good friend of mine who reads Advocate Magazine told me that SLC was recently rated "the gayest city in the USA." Kinda surprising! We will see how we like Park City -- I'm sure we will love having 3 ski resorts, hiking, biking and skateboard park within 5 minutes. But if we think SLC is a better fit, that's fine too. We remain open-minded. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
SLC itself has one of the highest per capita GLBT populations in the USA. There are a few gayborhoods and a Gay Pride parade downtown that is well attended. Last year there was a contingent of active Mormons who marched in support of the GLBT population. After all, the church accepts the orientation but condones any behavior acting on it. So being gay per se isn't against the church's values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area