Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 19,678 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My soon-to-be wife and I will be relocating to the Davis area in July from Lousiana/Alabama and need a little help looking for a place.

A little bit about us...we are both 27, I am from South Louisiana and she is from Alabama. We both graduated from Auburn University undergrad and she is finishing up her PhD. Please disregard the stereo type of extremely conservative southerners who hate diversity and culture...that is not us!

The reason we are relocating is my fiance' received a Pre-Doctoral Internship at UCDavis. I on the other hand will be telecomutting for my current job. We are really clueless as to how to start looking for a place half way across the country but this seems like a good place.

I would say to start it will be just the two of us and and our cat, we want at least 2 bedrooms and we prefer a type of home in this order House>Plex>Town Home>Apartment. Based on what I have seen so far it seems we wont have to look outside of Davis to get what we want in the price max $1,100. I would say if there was a great place outside of Davis it would have to be within 10-12 of Davis to keep the commute short. I know Central Sac is roughly 15 miles so that may be a little far.

We are used to the college town atmosphere and enjoy it but we would like to stay away from any areas that are highly concentrated with college students mainly in respects to apartments. You wont find us renting from a "College Square" complex

That is all I can think to share to start but I will answer any questions you have!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM

127 posts, read 436,678 times
I would advise you to stay in Davis. It will be much easier for your wife to get to and from her internship, and I know you will love living in Davis. Good luck to the both of you--there is a lot of housing in Davis (including student housing, if you qualify), so I am sure you will find something to suit your needs.

Lisa

Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM

379 posts, read 788,551 times
Hi there, my fiancee and I are in a similar position as you (relocating to Davis this summer for his job and have a cat), and we've found many quiet 2-bedroom apartments in West Davis in your price range that are cat-friendly. You probably won't be able to find a house in your price range, but the apartments in West Davis are quite quiet and seem to have fairly large square footage and balconies / patios. West Davis is fairly quiet and home to primarily grad students and families. Most of the current students in my fiancee's future grad program live in West Davis.

I'd also stay in Davis - the only other two towns in your driving distance range (Dixon and Woodland) are pretty sleepy, and your fiancee will likely grow tired of commuting to school every day.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. We will have to look into West Davis. Although I have found some houses and Duplexes in my price range on Craigslist, I have yet to receive a reply from any of them. Not sure whats up with that!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,798 times
Are you looking for a two bedroom? I don't see how you can find a nice place in Davis (that isn't right next to the train tracks) for 1100. Please enlighten me to these incredibly cheap options.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Craigslit is your friend...I have found some but none had the ammenities I wanted. We are now looking into woodland and Sacramento now since the she wont mind the commute. We really want a yard and the houses we have found in Davis the yards are pathetic.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,798 times
Yeah, Davis is much more expensive than sac and woodland, which is why I was wondering where you found nice places for 1100. We're currently paying 1300 (going up to 1350) for a 2br/1ba duplex on a major busy street.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 PM

379 posts, read 788,551 times
Despite my earlier post, I would agree with the consensus that you'll have to look out of Davis if you want a 2 br house with a large yard for $1100. You could find that price with an apartment (a student currently in my fiancee's program pays $950 for a large 2br/1ba apartment with a balcony), but since you're prioritizing the yard over the shorter commute / greater social life in Davis I would look in Woodland, Winters, Dixon, and also West Sac. One of my fiancee's future classmates just found a huge house in Woodland for next fall that would be twice as much to rent in Davis.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:09 PM

79 posts, read 221,263 times
If you were going to live outside of Davis, I would say that the most popular choices after Davis by number of people commuting to Davis would be Woodland, Dixon, Midtown, Winters then West Sac, followed by Natomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento